Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Opening Night: Anaheim Ducks (0-0-0) @ Vancouver Canucks (0-0-0) - January 19, 2013

ANAHEIM DUCKS @ VANCOUVER CANUCKS

Saturday: January 19th, 2013 @ 7:00 PM PT
    TV: CBC, RADIO: Team 1040

GM PLACE

TEAM LEADERS

ANAHEIM.................. VANCOUVER
    Corey Perry 0....Goals....0 Daniel Sedin
    Ryan Getzlaf 0....Assists..0 Henrik Sedin
    Teemu Selanne 0....Points....0 Daniel Sedin
    Corey Perry 0....+/-....0 Dan Hamhuis
    Correy Perry 0......PIM....0 Maxim Lapierre

GOALTENDER COMPARISON

VS
    Jonas Hiller...Cory Schneider

0...GPI...0
    0.00...GAA...0.00
    .000...SV%....000
    0...SO...0

GAME PREVIEW
    DUCKS (0-0-0) at CANUCKS (0-0-0)

TV: CBC, FS-W

Season series: The Ducks and Canucks will meet three times over this compressed season, and this will be one of two at Rogers Arena. That suits the Ducks just fine -- they are 4-2-2 in their past eight regular-season games there and have not lost in regulation in Vancouver since March 24, 2010.

Big story: Expectations remain high in Vancouver as fans wait for the team to convert regular-season success into the franchise's first Stanley Cup. The Sedin twins are back, but holes elsewhere spark concern early on. The Ducks wish last season began in January, when they transformed themselves from one of the worst teams in the Western Conference to one of the toughest.

Team scope:

Ducks: An agonizingly slow start did in the Ducks' season last year, but they played more to their ability after Jan. 1, going 24-15-6, fifth-best in the Western Conference from that date. This year's 48-game schedule will be even less forgiving, so a solid start is vital.

"It could be one of those years where if you get behind the 8-ball early, you don't know," Bobby Ryan told the Los Angeles Times. "It's just ever more important for us to get off to a good start and put all of that to bed. Because those issues will go away if you're winning.

"That resolve is not going to take long to get going. It can't."

One of several bright spots down the stretch was Teemu Selanne, who scored 26 goals and compiled 66 points, making him the second-oldest player to score as many goals and joining Gordie Howe as the two oldest players to have a 60-point season. And at age 41, Selanne was the oldest player in NHL history to appear in all 82 of his team's games. It was such a good year he decided to come back for another one, his 22nd NHL season.

Canucks: The lead topic League-wide has been the possible fate of goalie Roberto Luongo. The Canucks are going with Cory Schneider as their No. 1, but that does not mean Luongo will be available at a fire-sale price.

Adding pressure to a potential trade is the prospect of opening a sprint season without Ryan Kesler (wrist and shoulder), David Booth (groin) and Dan Hamhuis (groin), so general manager Mike Gillis needs to get maximum value in any Luongo deal.

It leads to two important questions heading into the opening weekend: Whether Schneider holds on to the top job; and who joins Mason Raymond on the second line now that two-thirds of last year's threesome (Booth and Kesler) are out? Raymond seems ready to go, though, scoring a hat trick in Thursday's intrasquad scrimmage.

Injury report: Ducks top 2012 draft pick and best overall prospect Hampus Lindholm suffered a concussion in December and is not cleared to play. Canucks goalie prospect Eddie Lack (groin) has been sidelined since Nov. 27 and was a candidate to back up Schneider if and when Luongo was traded. Forward Steven Pinizzotto (groin) missed his chance to make the opening-night roster but could see action on the fourth line later this season. Forward Samuel Pahlsson suffered a ruptured Achilles tendon playing in the Swedish Elite League in September and has no set return date. Booth's groin injury will knock him out 4-6 weeks, and there seems to be some hope Kesler will be back soon, but still no date has been set.
    ---------------------------------

PREDICTIONS:

Winner:

Final score:

GWG Scored in:

First Star:

GUESTS SIGN UP HERE!!!
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    I hope we win! I am so pumped for this game!!!
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    It makes me sad Garrison is wearing #5 instead of taking #52. 52 is such a bad *** number. 5 is the recently departed Ehrhoff. Stupid prick.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    I think I might be at someone elses house for this one so you guys will have to hold down the fort, can't wait to post with you guys in a GT again though

vCash
    Should be a game that can be had. Depends on the play of the top line.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Jannik Hansen hat trick. Calling it now.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Raymond-Ebbett-Kassian is such a bad 2nd line. I don't know how to feel about this. I want Booth and Kesler back now.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    hahaha poor Cory Schneider 5 goals in 14 shots, with all the hype too. You guys should of started Roberto Luongo.
    Last edited by P.I.; 01-20-2013 at 06:16 PM.

vCash
    Wow lol

vCash
    So...That was brutal. Here's my take on the game if you happened to not watch. If you did watch, let me know if you agree or not.

Line 1: The Sedin's and Burrows had a very quiet night for the most part. The twins got some points but played a very sub-par game. Burrows was pretty quiet.

Line 2: I don't know that I ever noticed Ebbett on the ice to be honest. He did nothing. Kassian didn't impress, but showed some potential. Everytime I saw a player falling, I knew it was Raymond. He did nothing impressive.

Line 3: Hansen, unbiased, imo was the best player on the ice for us tonight. I know you all think I am biased because I love him, but I think he played a fantastic game. He was forechecking, backchecking, got physical at times, was on the ice for all 3 goals, doing work in front of the net. I think he played a hell of a game. Lappy had a strong game as well, but nothing amazing. Higgins seemed to have a very quiet night

Line 4: Weise and Malhotra were very meh. I thought Volpatti was solid. Still though, we had no physicality from that line tonight. Very disappointed.

D-pair 1: Hamhuis had a rough game in the defensive zone, but looked solid in the offensive zone, including his very nice goal. Was in the wrong place a lot. I was unhappy with him. Bieksa played well most of the night, but had a few slip ups as well. Overall I thought he played well though.

D-pair 2: Edler had a very unimpressive game tonight. He contributed very little on offense for what he is capable of, and his defense was not too good. Garrison was solid in his Canucks debut. He made some nice plays, but made some errors as well. I see him being a good fit with Edler long term though.

D-pair 3: Ballard didn't make a lot of mistakes, but he didn't do much good either. He was virtually non-existent. Tanev was great with the puck tonight, as always, however I noticed he was out of position a few times. Definitely needs to work on that.

Goalies: Schneider, not good. 4 of 5 goals were very much his fault. One was poor defense. Luongo was pretty good minus the 2 goals.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Game was a bit rough. Missed it having had to work late.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Welcome to post lockout hockey. Wow. That was not a great game. I hope that was rust we were seeing, otherwise we have some real problems with this lineup.

Not surprised that after an off-season of major "tire pumping" Schneider had a flat.

Just a lousy debut. Hope for better in the next game.

vCash
    I have to be honest, I did find it a bit humorous that Luongo was needed in that game after all the talk about how useless he was and how great Schneider is (Bozak and Kadri also both scored last night too ironically).

I do think Schneider will turn it around though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    I have to be honest, I did find it a bit humorous that Luongo was needed in that game after all the talk about how useless he was and how great Schneider is (Bozak and Kadri also both scored last night too ironically).

I do think Schneider will turn it around though
    I found it ironic too.

vCash
    Maybe this whole "goalie controversy" was an elaborate plan by Gillis to make the fans support Luu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast