Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Canucks extend Alex Edler - 6 years / 30 mil (AAV of 5)

The Canucks have locked up another piece to their blueline, signing Alex Edler to a six-year, $30 million contract extension.

“They’re all difficult,” Vancouver GM Mike Gillis said.

“But this is good for him and good for us.”

Edler is the quiet, professional Swede. He produces at an elite level, having become a 50-point defenceman who has significantly out-performed his $3.1 million-per-year contract for the past two seasons.

Edler was looking to be the Canucks highest paid defenceman and got it, averaging $400,000 more than Kevin Bieksa. And you can be sure he would have got a huge payday this summer if he made it as a UFA, from teams like Detroit, desperate for blueliners.

The deal has a no-trade clause.

It means the Canucks top-four defencemen are signed until 2016-17 which gives the team significant cost certainty.

He is also just 26, and Gillis said he believes he’s still growing, learning and developing.

“He’s got size, skating, and a great shot,” Gillis said. “He’s going to continue to get better, grow into the role of a top-two defenceman.”

Edler’s sagged badly in the spring in a five-game series against the L.A. Kings. That’s when the criticism of his inconsistency finally crossed the line into concern he may never be the top-tier, No. 1 defenceman many believed he had the talent to become.

“I think he was mentally tired, we limped into those in the playoffs,” Gillis said.

As Gillis suggested, many assumed the problem to be mental. It looked that way, as he committed a string of unforced errors.

But what if it wasn’t? What if the problems go back years?

Edler underwent surgery, because of a bulging disc, in January 2011. It was a problem that had plagued him for years. He didn’t miss games, though as he could manage it enough with physical treatments.

Edler continued to experience back spasms throughout the next season in 2011-12. He missed practices, and couldn’t play one game in December.

Those back problems crept back up for Edler this September, something the Canucks examined thoroughly while he was injured during the lockout and under team supervision.

“He was under our supervision and we had him checked out and got multiple opinions and do not believe it’s going to be an issue,” Gillis said.
    http://blogs.theprovince.com/2013/01...medium=twitter

Good to have him locked up. Our top 4 is locked up for years (Garrison, Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis). Solid.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Awesome contract, he took way less than market value imo

vCash
    Yessssssssssssssssssssssss

vCash
    This was the best news I have had in weeks, or even months. I almost peed myself earlier when I saw it, I was so excited.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    This was the best news I have had in weeks, or even months. I almost peed myself earlier when I saw it, I was so excited.
    almost?

vCash
    Ok, maybe a little.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carson005 View Post
    Yessssssssssssssssssssssss
    My exact thoughts. Now you take care of the major concern ahead of time. Now the defense is set up for the next several years.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Good stuff great to hear! very relieved actually if anything..

vCash
    Great signing, very reasonable cap hit, now Edler just needs to find some consistency.

vCash
    2 games, 2 goals. He and Garrison are going to be solid for next 6 years.
    So Anna, what do you think about the notion that Russell Wilson is better than Andrew Luck?

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Luck has the most diverse skill set of any NFL quarterback" - Ron Jaworski on Andrew Luck being a top 5 QB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sfgiants5518 View Post
    2 games, 2 goals. He and Garrison are going to be solid for next 6 years.
    I agree, along with Bieksa and Hamhuis the top 4 are set. Now we need to get rid of Ballard.