Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Thumbs down Hart to miss first month of season

Brewers first baseman Corey Hart is scheduled to undergo arthroscopic surgery on his right knee Tuesday for a debridement of his knee joint and to repair a meniscal tear.

Dr. William Raasch will preform the surgery in Milwaukee. Recovery time is expected to be three to four months, likely forcing Hart to miss the first month or so of the season.

Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash said Hart, 30, was finishing his offseason workouts in Phoenix and reported to head athletic trainer Dan Wright he was experiencing swelling around the knee. Wright, who was in Phoenix, examined the knee and ordered an MRI, which was thoroughly reviewed Friday morning.

Ash said it was determined the only course of action was surgery.

While the meniscal tear also will require rehab, Ash said recovering from the debridement -- which is the removal of lacerated, dead, or contaminated tissue -- is the biggest factor.

"When you have that kind of surgery, you can't be weight bearing for up to six weeks," Ash said. "That's really what slows down the recovery."

Although Hart is expected to miss games during the season's first month or two, Ash said he isn't concerned about Hart coming back. After all, the outfielder-turned-first baseman has suffered numerous injuries in his career and has returned fine, and in a timely fashion, each time.

"He's had a terrific track record coming back from injuries. He's usually beaten the forecast, in terms of time," Ash said. "Some of this is about the surgery, and some of it is the effort you put into recovery, and he's always been a good rehab patient and follows the program. Track record-wise, he'll probably be back sooner rather than later."

Hart's injury now reopens first base, at least for the time being, to Mat Gamel. Gamel, 27, was Milwaukee's Opening Day first baseman a year ago before suffering a torn anterior cruciate ligament in his right knee in early May.

Ash said trainers and therapists have reported that Gamel is "100 percent, physically."

"He's gone to rehab all winter long and he is 100 percent," Ash said. "The only thing he hasn't done is gotten on the field and participated in games. That part we don't know, but physically, he's fine."

Gamel hit .246 with one home run in 21 games last season, while Hart batted .270 with 30 homers and 83 RBIs in 149 games.

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?...s_mlb&c_id=mlb

|MY GFX GALLERY|
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Then-Most View Post
    I am a twilight fan girl

vCash
    This sucks. Oh well. Good luck Gamel.

vCash
    Gamel should be OK. If he plays well, the Brewers have an interesting "problem".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Gamel should be OK. If he plays well, the Brewers have an interesting "problem".
    I think he's capable of putting up some okay numbers, I'm just not sure he can make it until Hart would be coming back without getting hurt. Oh well, realistically this is probably his last chance to prove he can put up some good numbers, so we'll see. Good luck to him.

vCash
    This should really open up some time for Hunter Morris to get some work. It's good this is happening early in the season so they can work some other guys in there. It'll also help them decide if they want to keep Hart longer or just move on depending on how Gamel and Morris play. Morris is nowhere near ready but this opportunity won't hurt if he has a strong spring.

|MY GFX GALLERY|
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Then-Most View Post
    I am a twilight fan girl

Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    vCash
    Bummer...Hunter Morris time is nearing closer and closer. I don't have faith that Gamel will fill in as well as what we need out of 1B. Do we still have Ishikawa on the roster?
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

vCash
    Ishikawa signed with the Orioles.

I don't have any faith in Hunter Morris becoming a starter in the MLB. I've read in a lot o prospect rankings this winter he's the first basemen of the future and if that's true... that scares me.

vCash
    What don't you like about Hunter? I haven't really seen him play and have to rely on numbers and different scouting reports, which don't always tell the whole truth.

From my understanding his plate discipline can be improved, but he's got good raw power and seems to swing the bat more than adequately at the minor league levels, but again, I haven't dug too deep on him.

vCash
    gunna be a long season
    JORDY NELSON #87
    Brewers
    Packers Badgers

Brewermobile

NFL=Passion and intensity
    MLB=History and finesse
    NBA=All about lookin' pretty
    NHL=Money's more important than teeth

vCash
    I like Morris, he has good power and has hit around .280 for three years. He glove was bad his first two years but last year by all reports he was an excellent first baseman. I don't think he should start the year in the bigs but if he plays as well as last year in AAA I have no issues with him at first in 2014.