Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    njnets is offline JerseyStrongBrooklynReady
    vCash

Brooklyn Vs Atlanta Part II

Critical Questions

How do the nets respond to the loss against them on Wednesday?

Do the nets have a better plan at stopping the hawks fast break?

Will Josh Smith help/hurt the hawks?

Who gets minutes at the 4 spot for the nets tonight?

LINEUP UPDATE: wallace back in the starting lineup

I probably will not be here but i want the thread up and ready to go. I expect a better performance tonight. playing at home, not back to back, getting more healthy and more time to prepare. should be a good matchup though. they played well in the second half of last game and i dont see them having another first half like that. the nets usually come out well, especially if lopez is scoring inside.

Hawks-Nets Preview

Recommend3
    Tweet0

STATS LLC

Brooklyn had a rough time already this week competing against Atlanta without facing Josh Smith.

Things could get even tougher for the Nets with the Hawks star in the lineup for Friday night's rematch.

With Smith back from his one-game suspension, the Hawks look to snap a five-game road skid while trying for a seventh consecutive victory over the Nets in the finale of this home-and-home matchup.

Playing without Smith, who was suspended and fined an undisclosed amount for "conduct detrimental to the team" following an incident in practice Tuesday, Atlanta (22-16) posted a 109-95 home win over Brooklyn (23-16) on Wednesday. Jeff Teague had a career-high 28 points with 11 assists while Zaza Pachulia added 13, 11 rebounds and eight assists as the undersized Hawks owned a 29-12 advantage in fast-break points and shot a season-high 57.7 percent.

"We were good," said coach Larry Drew, whose team shot a season-low 29.3 percent Monday at Chicago in a 97-58 loss, Atlanta's sixth in seven games. "With Josh we're better. That's just the bottom line.

"It will be good to get Josh back. (Thursday) when Josh shows up, he will get a big hug from me."

Though Smith averages a team-leading 16.5 points and is second with 8.3 rebounds, Atlanta has increased the tempo while averaging 107.3 and shooting 53.9 percent to beat Brooklyn, Oklahoma City and Indiana in the three games Smith has missed this season. Teague has averaged 19.7 points in those contests -- 6.6 above his average.

However, interim Brooklyn coach P.J. Carlesimo knows his team could face an even greater challenge against the Hawks with Smith on the floor.

"They were a very, very good team without Josh," said Carlesimo, who has guided the Nets to a 9-2 record since taking over for the fired Avery Johnson. "You've got to think they're going to be a better team when they add a player of his caliber on Friday."

Smith has scored a combined 20 points in his last two games, but has totaled 56 in his last two against the Nets.

Though Atlanta has averaged 82.2 points in its last five road contests, it's shot 50.0 percent while averaging 102.8 during a six-game winning streak against the Nets. Al Horford had 17 with 13 rebounds while former Nets guard Devin Harris added 18 points, five assists and four steals to help Atlanta snap Brooklyn's season-high seven-game winning streak Wednesday.

"Early you could see that the energy was there," Drew said. "They came out and took the attack to Brooklyn. You have to play like that when you've been struggling."

Brook Lopez scored 22 while Joe Johnson had 15 on 4-of-15 shooting in his first trip to Atlanta since the Hawks traded him to Brooklyn in July. After shooting 39.4 percent from 3-point range over the previous seven contests, the Nets went 4 of 26 from beyond the arc in the second of back-to-back games.

"We're flat-out exhausted," Carlesimo said.

Though their overall winning streak ended, the Nets look for a season-high seventh consecutive victory at the Barclays Center. Johnson has averaged 20.0 points and gone 8 of 15 from 3-point range in the last three games at home.
    Last edited by njnets; 01-18-2013 at 06:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Commissioner Stern is stern. Stern, but fair.

Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    You either have to deal with tornados or Snookie. Either way your gonna get sucked and blown.

vCash
    Thanks for the GT man. I really hope Josh Smith doesn't make this more difficult for us. We already showed a weak transition defense and a slow backcourt against Teague/Harris. Let's hope we defend home court

Brooklyn Nets | New Jersey Devils | New York Yankees | New York Giants

Gamertag PS3: CaptainClutch92 (Add It!)
    Twitter: @BeaconChris
    "The way is very simple, the way to success. We're going to turn Knicks fan into Nets fan. That's it."..........."I am in rehearsals now 10 hours a day and plan to demand joint billing." (on rapping with Jay-Z)
    -Mikhail Prokhorov

vCash
    some ways to help transition defense:

inside shots/post - long 3 pointers bounce far and can result in fast breaks
    make shots - allows defense to get back
    attacking paint - get foul calls and allow D to set up

nets need to take 3s but better half court execution and smarter shot selection can help make up for the lack of athleticism or speed that can be on the floor at times.

You either have to deal with tornados or Snookie. Either way your gonna get sucked and blown.

vCash
    ^ All that being said I think there was more of a general lack of energy by the team as a whole. I really don't think the Nets will look anything like they did in the previous game when they play tonight. I'm pretty confident in a Nets win tonight.

vCash
    ^ i hear ya. during that first half, they seemed very lazy at times. they were not going 100%. i agree with you on that point.

vCash
    Brooklyn has more 3's in this game than they did all last game. Hawks have a 9-0 fast break point advantage

Need to win this game and split the 2 game series here. Hoping for a better half here.

Lets go Nets

vCash
    Big 3 averages over 60 pts and we stand a good shot against anyone

vCash
    Have to give credit to Brook, he's really stepped up this season on the defensive end. Only going to get better also.

MAR$WAG BROOKS

vCash
    Well you can point to a few others that were diffference makers too. 20 boards from Reggie. Typical high energy playing in all aspects of the game from Crash. Dre putting together a well rounded game and Bogans hounding the snot outta Korver all game. I thought it was really quite the team effort and well done except for the 13 missed free throws.

vCash
    Too bad Will doesn't see that.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseysFinest View Post
    Have to give credit to Brook, he's really stepped up this season on the defensive end. Only going to get better also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_FrozenNetsFan View Post
    Well you can point to a few others that were diffference makers too. 20 boards from Reggie. Typical high energy playing in all aspects of the game from Crash. Dre putting together a well rounded game and Bogans hounding the snot outta Korver all game. I thought it was really quite the team effort and well done except for the 13 missed free throws.
    Definitely, great team effort. Teague got to the basket at will, but they made adjustments in the second half that helped stop him.

MAR$WAG BROOKS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1_FrozenNetsFan View Post
    Too bad Will doesn't see that.
    When did i say he has not improved defensively. All my issues with Lopez still exist and will be more pronounced in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Max.This View Post
    Brooklyn isn't smoking noone's *** besides the line at the medicare office
    Sig bet with FriedTofuz or whatever his name is (I'm on my phone so it's too tedious to go find his exact name) that if the Nets lose to the Raptors I will delete my account and if the Raptors lose he will delete his (lol Raptors fans are so cute).

vCash
    Will just admit it...you're a hater. You'd rather hate Brook for what "he doesn't have" instead of loving him for what he does have. When you look around who would you rather have than Brook...I mean reasonablely within reach...something that is doable?

Quote Originally Posted by Chill_Will_24 View Post
    When did i say he has not improved defensively. All my issues with Lopez still exist and will be more pronounced in the playoffs.

vCash
    didnt catch the game. saw the dunk. glad they played well in the fourth though and were able to get back on track. good win for them.

vCash
    Nice bounce back win tonight. Can't wait for Monday's game against the Knicks. I hope we beat those Knickerbockers. Go Nets!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast