Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Rondo is not exactly popular. He has a lot of detractors (ahem).

What's the difference if he has 50 11-assist games or 25 6-assist games and 25 16-assist games, either way it averages to 11 for the year, which is impressive regardless of how the math gets you there. There aren't many NBA players who are consistent night in and night out, except those named Durant and James.

"Stats are for losers. The final score is for winners." - Bill Belichick

vCash
    Somewhere in this argument hides a good signature quote...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Forever35 View Post
    Somewhere in this argument hides a good signature quote...
    HAHAHA, it does say it all, doesn't it. It's like why do I even bother.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 69centers View Post
    Rondo is not exactly popular. He has a lot of detractors (ahem).

What's the difference if he has 50 11-assist games or 25 6-assist games and 25 16-assist games, either way it averages to 11 for the year, which is impressive regardless of how the math gets you there. There aren't many NBA players who are consistent night in and night out, except those named Durant and James.
    His FG% is also down on the order of .030% from really good to more average at the same time.

His on the ball D seemed to fall to new lows earlier in that 16 game stretch, although AB coming back brought him back a bit.

When I say consistent, I don't mean results, I mean effort. As a Coach I never yelled at anyone for a missed shot or turnover if they were executing as best as they could, but for guys day dreaming? not giving full effort? I had one huge voice, and suicides, squat jumps, and laps were next. No, I do not care for players like that.

Rondo gives out these triple doubles, and amazing play, then goes into a shell two nights later. Is he the artist complete with the Diva attitude? Is that it? Why are the Celts leadership types trying to make him a leader (which he is not) - no lunch pail player will willingly follow a Diva. Like Scal whom last night KG said was the best player he ever played with, they go for that, or PP, or someone that has talent, heart, and shows up every night effort wise, not a moody Diva.

Rondo used to be treat or trick, and was on the way up, but now he seems to have leveled off, and seems more trick than treat.

Look it up, a month ago I had him as #5-6 PG in the league. So I should make everyone here happier by staying quiet and not pointing out his 16 game slide? If he hadn't made the AS's, I probably would have said nothing and waiting until the end of the season, but the AS - outside of the East being much weaker then the West in PG's being one factor there are still PG's in the East outplaying Rondo overall - IMO - and with lots of data to back me up.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I see both points to the argument, but the one gripe that I've always had with Rondo is his ability to not show up day in and day out... He could practically put together a triple double in a half then the next night give you a half *** performance... I don't buy the switch is turned on for the playoffs... Why is he a better shooter this year...??? Because maybe he really decided to work on it... He's seems to be one of those "I'll do it when I'm good and ready"...

He's labeled as a pass first PG, but you know what he could also be a score first point guard also... You could almost tell when he starts a game lackadaisical you could almost see the air let out for the rest of the team...

Stockton was a consistent PG who you knew would give you 10+ assists a night but at the same time gave you the same 13-14pts each and every night... He didn't have games where he would only just look to pass the ball...

I think Doc and DA gave him a little too much freedom to do as he pleased on the offensive end which didn't allow him to have a set role in the scoring aspect of the team...
    "I've never been scared of contact. Now I get to bring it, that's what I love to do, so I'm going to bring it."

Reggie Lewis

GET OFF YOUR HEELS BILL !!!

vCash
    The last time the league assist leader was on a championship team was the 1987 Lakers.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/page/...trade-deadline

This factoid proves nothing, but it is interesting nonetheless

vCash
    Rondo is only 6'1" and he takes a big punishment every night he aims to score a lot, as most of his points are near the rim. Can you blame him for not wanting to hit the floor hard for every Hornets or Wizards game?

Chris Paul's points and assists both dropped in last year's playoffs, while Rondo's points went up dramatically (by 6 per game) and his assists increased slightly. Would you want a regular season stud or playoff superstar who has some bad regular season games on your team? Rondo was the best PG of last year's playoffs. I'd take that on my playoff team any day.
    Last edited by 69centers; 01-20-2013 at 11:37 AM.

vCash
    Rondo is only 6'1" and he takes a big punishment every night he aims to score a lot, as most of his points are near the rim. Can you blame him for not wanting to hit the floor hard for every Hornets or Wizards game?

Chris Paul's points and assists both dropped in last year's playoffs, while Rondo's points went up dramatically (by 6 per game) and his assists increased slightly. Would you want a regular season stud or playoff superstar who has some bad regular season games on your team? Rondo was the best PG of last year's playoffs. I'd take that on my playoff team any day.
    You dare compare Rondo with Paul? Talk about soft serve rubbish.

Paul has been on 3 out of 7 teams in finished seasons as good as last year's Celts, Rondo has 5 out 6 (4 of them better). Rondo has twice been the 2nd offensive option per FGA per game (just ahead of 3rd) in the playoffs, the other years 4th or worse. Given his crappy shooting skills he's hardly ever had his shot challenged outside of the paint in the playoffs.

Paul has been in the playoffs 4 times. He led the NBA in 3 out of 4 years in playoff performances in AST%, and two years in PER, and two years in WS/48%. This includes getting far more defensive pressure than Rondo has ever had.

Your point is what? That Rondo is immensely inferior to Paul - correct. That almost all players have lower WS/48 in the playoffs than regular season? Correct. Just like Rondo.

Anything else?
    Last edited by bagwell368; 01-20-2013 at 03:48 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    2011-2012 playoffs

Paul: 43%FG, 5.1RPG, 7.9RPG, 17.6PPG, 0 triple doubles
    Rondo: 47%FG, 6.7RPG, 11.9APG, 17.3PPG, 4 triple doubles

Only the non-pundits, fools, or people who only track advanced stats, would believe the above translates into Paul had a better playoffs. Hmm, I wonder which of those you fall under ...

vCash
    Those two links are horrible. Absolutely disgusting.
    Last edited by Green_Monster; 01-20-2013 at 05:27 PM.

vCash
    All I know is that I'll take Westbrook's 23/5/8 with the ability to flat out carry an offense over Rondo.

vCash
    I wouldn't. He's too much of a chucker, especially in big games. His FG% is worse than Rondo's, so that's not saying much. His PER is high because it's exactly the flawed stat that caters to chuckers like him.

vCash
    I wouldn't. He's too much of a chucker, especially in big games. His FG% is worse than Rondo's, so that's not saying much. His PER is high because it's exactly the flawed stat that caters to chuckers like him.
    Rondo is more efficient, but Westbrook is the better scorer.

vCash
    2011-2012 playoffs

Paul: 43%FG, 5.1RPG, 7.9RPG, 17.6PPG, 0 triple doubles
    Rondo: 47%FG, 6.7RPG, 11.9APG, 17.3PPG, 4 triple doubles

Only the non-pundits, fools, or people who only track advanced stats, would believe the above translates into Paul had a better playoffs. Hmm, I wonder which of those you fall under ...
    So you understand the difference between one year and a career, correct? So you use Rondo's best year to make a comparison? Gee, nobody wonders why, but let's pretend that somebody does.

Yet career wise Paul > Rondo. That's the problem with fanatics, you can never trust the metrics they put in front of people because they are often/always biased.

Rondo career playoffs: pts/ast/reb/stl: 14.5/9.2/6.0/2.0

Paul career playoffs: pts/ast/reb/stl: 20.5/10.1/4.4/2.3

So, in raw numbers, in the most important PG stat, and I'm sure you could agree the 2nd and 3rd most important PG stats, Paul is simply better then Rondo. Hmmmm, that's why I wondered that you would actually use Rondo vs Paul to make any point except Rondo is totally inferior to him.

Percentages you say?

Rondo TS% .487 << Paul .562 -- oh dear
    Rondo eFG% .457 << Paul .503

Oh dear, that's just awful.....

Advanced stats?

PER Paul 24.9 >> 18.5 (hey I thought Rondo got up for the playoffs?)

Face it, you picked the wrong guy to pick on.

As of today, Chris Paul has the 4th highest WS/48 - ahead of LeBron James even - all time.

As of today, Chris Paul has the 7th highest PER all time (behind James).

As of today, Chris Paul would be 7th all time in playoff PER if he had enough games to qualify.

Rondo is 79th in playoff PER, 181st in regular season PER, and 154th in WS/48 - not bad, but, not elite like Chris Paul.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Green_Monster View Post
    Rondo is more efficient, but Westbrook is the better scorer.
    Westbrook's last 3 years (including this one) he's mashed Rondo. In TS%, in PER, WS, WS/48, OWS, he even has Rondo in Rebounds per game! 3PT'ers, FT's also.

Rondo has more assists, and a higher DRtg (but he's starting to slack, and Westbrook is getting better). That's it. Oh yeah, Westbrook takes about 4 shots a game too many, and Rondo about 2.5 too few.

Just to be clear, Westbrook despite his weakness for shooting, is clearly a better player than Rondo. Westbrook is also 2 years and 10 months younger than Rondo, and has yet to hit his peak. Rondo's peak appears to have been 2008-2009 and 2009-2010 as a complete player, and the last year and a half in the play making side.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 01-20-2013 at 11:46 PM.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast