Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sauronthepower View Post
    How is Cano going to DH for the Dodgers?
    I think he meant the angels.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    But he also addressed the $189 million issue and it sounded like if the team is not good enough he will allow Cashman to spend more than $189 million....we shall see...

As for as 2013, the team is fine if they stay healthy......
    here is the thing with the luxury tax, because it wont be 189 mill for the next 100 years, every year your over the limit your get taxed an increasing amount, this will be the dodgers first year over, they are getting hit with like 5%, the yankees have been over it for years and are paying like 35% as soon as they get under it for a year the clock restarts, in the future the yankees and dodgers etc will be doing this dance around the limit be it 189 or 200 or 210 they will be over for a year or 2 then when contracts come off the books they will go back under.

vCash
    How is Cano going to DH for the Dodgers?
    I think he meant the Angels...

vCash
    I agree w bfrap on Cano.

However, Montero was playing in a greatly weakened lineup in a vastly different stadium and environment. Without lineup protection, and quite possibly motivation, who knows the intangibles that plagued him last year. He looked very promising in his limited appearances with us at the big league level.
    Lineup protection is the biggest fools gold in baseball. Many announcers (some like Joe Morgan, HOF players) have no clue on strategy or even the rules of the game (yes, Joe Morgan does not know the rules very well. He just played and played well.)

Lineup protection only matters when you have someone like a Barry Bonds or Babe Ruth, who opposing teams have been known to issue intentional walks while the bases were loaded.. or when you have guys like Alphonso Soriano... free swingers who will chase bad pitches out of the strike zone. If you have some good hitters behind a Soriano, the pitchers won't throw that pitch out of the zone 3-2, because you MIGHT walk them putting them on base for the next hitter... when that hitter don't matter, well they will throw it anyway. The best lineup protector is actually the speed guy getting on base in front of you. When the pitcher gets so worried about trying to keep the runner from stealing, then the hitter at the dish gets a steady diet of fastballs, or pitches that the catcher can handle.. and if the C can handle the pitch, you can bet the hitter also has a good chance to handle it as well.

Now the Seattle Environment is actually good for Jesus. They play in a no-pressure/low expectation environment that allows young players to get going without the fans booing them for the slightest mistake unlike in the NY pressure cooker where going 0 for the week will get jeers from the fans even for the rookie players.

Sorry to say, that Montero did show the one thing the Yanks were afraid of. He is a defensive liability behind the dish. That means that his stock would have gone done had the Yanks held on to him and played him like the Mariners did. If the Yanks were to try to make that deal today, they would NOT have gotten someone with the Resume that Pineda had at the time of the trade nor ANY of the Seattle top prospects.

He still has time to show he belongs, but right now, he is not considered the top level young player that he was considered even 12 months ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    I think he meant the angels.
    I understood that however the Dodgers are the team to beat in this scenario in terms of desire for Cano's services and ability and willingness to pay through the nose.

The Angels are a far distant factor in this equation.

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    Lineup protection is the biggest fools gold in baseball. Many announcers (some like Joe Morgan, HOF players) have no clue on strategy or even the rules of the game (yes, Joe Morgan does not know the rules very well. He just played and played well.)

Lineup protection only matters when you have someone like a Barry Bonds or Babe Ruth, who opposing teams have been known to issue intentional walks while the bases were loaded.. or when you have guys like Alphonso Soriano... free swingers who will chase bad pitches out of the strike zone. If you have some good hitters behind a Soriano, the pitchers won't throw that pitch out of the zone 3-2, because you MIGHT walk them putting them on base for the next hitter... when that hitter don't matter, well they will throw it anyway. The best lineup protector is actually the speed guy getting on base in front of you. When the pitcher gets so worried about trying to keep the runner from stealing, then the hitter at the dish gets a steady diet of fastballs, or pitches that the catcher can handle.. and if the C can handle the pitch, you can bet the hitter also has a good chance to handle it as well.

Now the Seattle Environment is actually good for Jesus. They play in a no-pressure/low expectation environment that allows young players to get going without the fans booing them for the slightest mistake unlike in the NY pressure cooker where going 0 for the week will get jeers from the fans even for the rookie players.

Sorry to say, that Montero did show the one thing the Yanks were afraid of. He is a defensive liability behind the dish. That means that his stock would have gone done had the Yanks held on to him and played him like the Mariners did. If the Yanks were to try to make that deal today, they would NOT have gotten someone with the Resume that Pineda had at the time of the trade nor ANY of the Seattle top prospects.

He still has time to show he belongs, but right now, he is not considered the top level young player that he was considered even 12 months ago.
    Why would you even try to argue w a guy who actually has the real world gaming experience of a guy like Morgan.
    That's like me trying to argue computer engineering with Bill Gates. C'mon man, you're never going to be able to convince anybody that you somehow have more comprehension and knowledge than Joe Morgan about the game and you're going to look bad trying. Please try to refrain from sounding like you know more than Joe Morgan about the game of baseball.

Please.

How is Montero in a better place?

He's in an offensively far worse park than the bam box known as Yankee Stadium and he's on team which he could probably give a sh$t less about with absolutely no offensive pop (now that they've acquired Morse that has changed).

I would submit that Cashman should've been able to put in a developmental regimen to train a 20 year old to be anything other than a DH. If not, he should've traded him far earlier, when his value was at its apex and before he had exhausted all of the competitive ability of the minors. Maybe we could've even negotiated for Halladay or Haren had we known in advance that there was no feasible defensive position for Montero.

Just perhaps.
    Last edited by sauronthepower; 01-19-2013 at 01:06 AM.

vCash
    Um.........yeah.

Ok.

First are you accusing me of constantly arguing with you or frap.

I can 100% assure you that I have absolutely nothing against you (unless you are Mssr. Cashman posting in cognito). I hardly look at the posting history and say....."there's RC, let me get my daily verbal barrage in to psychologically induce a beat down..."

Not at all man.

I WILL say that my three biggest complaints, overall and overarching, concerning this franchise are:

1) Cashman is utterly incompetent when analyzing, developing, scouting, and negotiating for available talent. He's a good executive and personnel manager and an utter farce as a baseball analyst.

2) Seriously despise all that has become Cano. To me he is the complete manifestation of the Anti-Jeter. Non-clutch, lazy, unfocused, rally killer, leadership mute. AND, and this is a big freakin AND, I absolutely, unequivocally, 100% fuc£ing cannot stand or stomach that piece oh sh-t open-mouthed facial f@cking gape he gets like a petulant little c--t every time he lazily hacks his way back to the bench in the clutch.

3) The galling lack of long term franchise vision going forward. We seem (and this article certainly doesn't show me anything to the contrary) to be stuck in a perpetual small time signing, repeated failed developmental prospect, positional backlog cycle with no clear long game vision going forward.

I have been pretty consistant IMO in arguing these points so don't take it like I'm singling you out personally. If you happen to fall on the opposite sides ofthis arguement then that may account for your perception that I'm riding you in these forums which I can assure you I am not.
    That post wasn't directed at you it was directed at bfrap. I edited the post, and quoted him.. :P

vCash
    I understood that however the Dodgers are the team to beat in this scenario in terms of desire for Cano's services and ability and willingness to pay through the nose.

The Angels are a far distant factor in this equation.
    i don't know why, the angels have signed the best hitter on the market 2 years in a row. and cano would be an improvement over howie kendrick, who isn't bad and is probably one of the better 2nd basemen in the game but he isn't cano either. Also, the dodgers need to figure out what they want to do with Hanley and Dee Gordon first, so i don't know what their desire really is.

vCash
    a real threat would be Toronto, they are in a win now mode and have a very wealthy owner, plus a very obvious whole at 2nd base, plus they could let him dh down the road if they want/need.

vCash
    Sauron rants are becoming my fave.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    I don't have an issue with Hal spending less money and being smarter with their signings, but I have not been given any indication on how they plan on implementing this new strategy. They just spent 12 million dollars on youkilis, for pete's sake. Is this an indication of how they plan on using their money wisely? What about 15 million for Hiroki and 7.5 million for Phil Hughes? You cannot say you're worried only about this year and not think about 2014 and beyond. Don't those years not count too? In order to effectively reduce salary while also being competitive on the field you have to start trading in some of your veterans for younger players. Trade Cano and sign Keppinger. Trade Granderson and Gardner, and acquire Bourjos and Morse. Trade Hughes and sign Carlos Villanueva. When you have no money to spend then you have to stock up on the farm or trade for younger players. That's just how it works.
    I think this is a huge issue. I don't believe there is an actual strategy. I think there is a theory and a goal but they don't quite know how to execute it.
    I wonder if they are buying time thill the "studs" of the farm system are ready to be on the team. That's why there are vets with short term contracts.
    I would love to see Granderson traded and I am now fine with cano going. I'd love to see Cano as a yankee for life but I don't think they will get it done, so it's better to sell at a high price.
    Getting the payroll down is a great idea. I just hope they don't kill the team for the next 10 years trying to do it.

vCash
    other than cano in the next season how many times have the yankees been burned by not extending their players?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    That post wasn't directed at you it was directed at bfrap. I edited the post, and quoted him.. :P
    Sorry, my bad.

vCash
    i don't know why, the angels have signed the best hitter on the market 2 years in a row. and cano would be an improvement over howie kendrick, who isn't bad and is probably one of the better 2nd basemen in the game but he isn't cano either. Also, the dodgers need to figure out what they want to do with Hanley and Dee Gordon first, so i don't know what their desire really is.
    The Angels have finite financial resources. Pujols and Hamilton alone are draining their salary structure in a very similar vein to ours and they do not have the financial ceiling to work with like we do. All that and Weavers going to be on that list very very soon.

The Dodgers just made a multi BILLION television and licensing deal. They basically imported the fabled lost New Orleans Federal Mint and are just running off their own small economy at this point AND they want to win.

vCash
    a real threat would be Toronto, they are in a win now mode and have a very wealthy owner, plus a very obvious whole at 2nd base, plus they could let him dh down the road if they want/need.
    I think the Blue Jays are in a probationary period right now.

They signed a heck of a lot of talent away from Loira (traded, whatever) if that squad way underperforms they may change financial gears very quickly back to reserved mode IMO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast