Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Why would an exhibition game be safer than the preseason.

Also I can't think of a single player hurt during their NHL tryout period, so I'm not quite sure your right about this.

Look ultimately I don't have Rielly's medical reports and I didn't see a practice so its the coaches decisions but knowing what i know now, I would have given him a chance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post

Also I can't think of a single player hurt during their NHL tryout period, so I'm not quite sure your right about this.

Look ultimately I don't have Rielly's medical reports and I didn't see a practice so its the coaches decisions but knowing what i know now, I would have given him a chance.
    i read randy was impressed but being that there were no preseason games he got sent back....i agree with you though jrice ...if rielly has the hockey iq to play at 18 you let him stay...im sure he makes it next yr after a little more time in the ahl

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJamesNaismith View Post
    There is no exhibition season, so we don't get to see him this year. That's all. I would have liked to see him too, in exhibition games. The regular season is a different animal though. It's dangerous place for an 18 yo defenseman that isn't particualrly big or strong yet.
    My point exactly

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ktownguy31 View Post
    i read randy was impressed but being that there were no preseason games he got sent back....i agree with you though jrice ...if rielly has the hockey iq to play at 18 you let him stay...im sure he makes it next yr after a little more time in the ahl
    He might have the hockey IQ, but he doesn't have the physical tools that would make me feel comfortable with him playing. He isn't the biggest or strongest 18 year old I've seen. It would be different if he was a forward because it is so much easier to hide an 18 year old up front. If Reilly was a forward, I would be more open to giving him 5 games.

vCash
    Yeah I'm not too upset that I won't get to see him chase a dumped puck with Lucic barrelling in on him.

vCash
    Great decision. Rielly needs time to develop. He's a good kid and has loads of potential, let him develop in the WHL for the rest of the year, mature as a player and get even better.

He gave it his all at camp, which is good.

Too nad about Frattin though.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    He might have the hockey IQ, but he doesn't have the physical tools that would make me feel comfortable with him playing. He isn't the biggest or strongest 18 year old I've seen. It would be different if he was a forward because it is so much easier to hide an 18 year old up front. If Reilly was a forward, I would be more open to giving him 5 games.
    Cam Fowler disagrees.

Obviously, again i'll stress I never got to see him the preseason so its totally the coaches call, but I object to the people in this forum, saying yea right call when its not clear at all that it is.

No one will ever be able to say its right or wrong obviously but to say with certainty this is the right decision not to give him any games is kind of a misnomer. An argument about ELC is a better one but its irrelevant for 1-5 games

vCash
    This is the right move regardless. Burning a year on his contract made no sense.

vCash
    Cam Fowler disagrees.

Obviously, again i'll stress I never got to see him the preseason so its totally the coaches call, but I object to the people in this forum, saying yea right call when its not clear at all that it is.

No one will ever be able to say its right or wrong obviously but to say with certainty this is the right decision not to give him any games is kind of a misnomer. An argument about ELC is a better one but its irrelevant for 1-5 games
    And Luke Schenn disagrees...look at the talent on the roster when Fowler broke in compared to that if Reilly was to make the Leafs. Fowlers first year in the NHL he played with Perry, Selanne, Getzlaf and Bobby Ryan on the PP. Of his 10 goals that year 6 of them came on the PP. Of his 30 assists that year 16 of them came on the PP. So 26 of his 40 points were scored while playing QB on a power play that included 4 all-stars. Even playing with those all-stars he still managed to be a minus 25. You can't compare Fowler to Reilly because their situations are like comparing apples to oranges

vCash
    And Luke Schenn disagrees...
    He does, Luke Schenn was decently NHL ready. Luke Schenn was fine his rookie year. Unspectacular but fine. There's no clear harm from any kind of injury or damage that affected Schenn. He just didn't live up to hype.
    look at the talent on the roster when Fowler broke in compared to that if Reilly was to make the Leafs. Fowlers first year in the NHL he played with Perry, Selanne, Getzlaf and Bobby Ryan on the PP. Of his 10 goals that year 6 of them came on the PP. Of his 30 assists that year 16 of them came on the PP. So 26 of his 40 points were scored while playing QB on a power play that included 4 all-stars. Even playing with those all-stars he still managed to be a minus 25. You can't compare Fowler to Reilly because their situations are like comparing apples to oranges
    Actually Fowler's talent with him isn't really relevant when we talk about forwards. Why do I care who he passes the puck to. You were talking about physically being able and being exposed. Fowler was clearly physically ready (he played 76 games), and he wasn't really exposed. Maybe he played too many minutes (he played 22 minutes a game) but the Ducks defense sucked similarly to the Maple Leafs. In fact Fowler played even more minutes in the playoffs that season.

His plus/minus numbers are a bit skewed considering he was on the top pairing.

Sure he had offensive talent to work with but so what? How does that affect if Rielly was exposed.

I just don't see an 18 year old defenseman career is ruined.

In fact here are the following players who played 60 games as a rookie at 18 or 19 without being sent back to junior in the last 10 years.

Adam Larsson, Luke Schenn, Demitri Kulikov, Victor Hedman, Jay Boumeester, Drew Doughty.

None of them really got screwed up at all.

I'm not even advocating a full season just a tryout and not even that (considering i defer quite a bit to the coaches here) but at the same time clearly argue this is a good move is to be way too confident in your own certainty

vCash
    He does, Luke Schenn was decently NHL ready. Luke Schenn was fine his rookie year. Unspectacular but fine. There's no clear harm from any kind of injury or damage that affected Schenn. He just didn't live up to hype.

Actually Fowler's talent with him isn't really relevant when we talk about forwards. Why do I care who he passes the puck to. You were talking about physically being able and being exposed. Fowler was clearly physically ready (he played 76 games), and he wasn't really exposed. Maybe he played too many minutes (he played 22 minutes a game) but the Ducks defense sucked similarly to the Maple Leafs. In fact Fowler played even more minutes in the playoffs that season.

His plus/minus numbers are a bit skewed considering he was on the top pairing.

Sure he had offensive talent to work with but so what? How does that affect if Rielly was exposed.

I just don't see an 18 year old defenseman career is ruined.

In fact here are the following players who played 60 games as a rookie at 18 or 19 without being sent back to junior in the last 10 years.

Adam Larsson, Luke Schenn, Demitri Kulikov, Victor Hedman, Jay Boumeester, Drew Doughty.

None of them really got screwed up at all.

I'm not even advocating a full season just a tryout and not even that (considering i defer quite a bit to the coaches here) but at the same time clearly argue this is a good move is to be way too confident in your own certainty
    Too confident in my own certainty...apparently the Leaf coaching staff agrees with me and so do the majority of coaches/GMs in the NHL because the list you came up with has 6 players on it over the past 10 years. 10 players!!! You see how rare it is for an 18 year old defenceman to play in the NHL??? There is a reason coaches and GMs are hesitant in rushing 18 year old defenceman and for some reason you just can't seem to grasp that. Look at the numbers...they speak for themselves

vCash
    ^
    This is why Luke Schenn looks like Luke Richardson right now.

vCash
    Victor Headman was also 6'6 and 229lbs when he broke in as an 18 year old. You really think he has turned out to be that good of a d-man considering he was drafted 2nd overall?

vCash

Preseason are exhibition games. Look up and down a typical preseason game roster and there would be a lot of guys in the line-up that would be Reilly's age/experience level, sprinkled in with some other guy that are on the bubble or fringe NHLers. The intensity of a preseason game is far less, as well. Right move to send him back. Keeping him would have meant throwing the towel in completely on a couple of other promising guys also; Kotska and Holzer before being absolutelt sure what you have in them. There's lots of time for Reilly.

vCash
    All I can say about him being sent back down to Junior is: good.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast