Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Rielly sent back to Junior

I trust the coaching staff on this one. I would not have minded seeing him but its there call, I'm not at practice

vCash
    Good call.

If Gardiner is still a ways away from playing i would call Redden and see if he wants a shot here. doubtful but i would try.

vCash
    I'm curious why we didn't give him 1-5 games which could be done without wasting an entry level year though especially with Gardiner's injury

vCash
    Gardiner was on the ice practicing with the team today. He and Reimer were the first ones on the ice and they had a mini-shootout. So fingers crossed.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Why risk injury this year with a 1-5 game tryout...good to see the club send him where he belongs. And yes, I know he could get injured in junior, but I think the probability is a lot higher playing against the world's best men then against kids his own age or younger.
    Last edited by Lavy16; 01-18-2013 at 12:32 PM.

vCash
    Was really hoping to see him in a leafs jersey this year, but it probably best for his development.

vCash
    Nice, about time we start developing our prospects properly.
    Solid move

2013 Mock Chicago Bulls

vCash
    Proper decision. I'm sure we'll see him next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    Why risk injury this year with a 1-5 game tryout...good to see the club send him where he belongs. And yes, I know he could get injured in junior, but I think the probability is a lot higher playing against the world's best men then against kids his own age or younger.
    I'm not sure its really that more likely.

Yeah, there bigger but junior hockey has a fairly high injury rate for whatever reason (alot of guys trying to prove themselves is one idea).

Also, its not that likely he would been hurt in 1 game or even 5.

I don't know this offhand but can he get called up for any 1-5 game period during the season. Also, is he eligible for the playoffs by any chance the Leafs make it (more like the Marlies)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles4Lyfe View Post
    Nice, about time we start developing our prospects properly.
    Solid move
    See I don't really know what this means.

I trust the coaching staff but if they would have kept him I likely would say the same thing. Other than his entry level deal being 1 year used, its not clear to me that players benefit from the year of Junior unless there not ready for the NHL or good enough.

vCash
    Good call for Nonis. We are keeping Kostka, Phaneuf, Liles, Komisarek, Gunnarsson, Franson, Fraser, Holzer AND Gardiner so we really don't have room for him anyway. Nonis is just afraid of losing one of Kostka, Fraser or Holzer on waivers so this makes sense. I believe they placed Gardiner on IR so he doesn't count. Once he returns, I expect Fraser will be sent down. I think his stock is lower than Kostka and Holzer's.

In line-ups at practice, (per Jonas @ TSN1050)

Phaneuf - Kostka
    Liles - Komisarek
    Gunnarsson - Franson

vCash
    How long is Gardiner out?

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    I'm not sure its really that more likely.

Yeah, there bigger but junior hockey has a fairly high injury rate for whatever reason (alot of guys trying to prove themselves is one idea).

Also, its not that likely he would been hurt in 1 game or even 5.

I don't know this offhand but can he get called up for any 1-5 game period during the season. Also, is he eligible for the playoffs by any chance the Leafs make it (more like the Marlies)
    To me an 18 year old stands more of a chance getting injured against men in the NHL than playing against boys in the WHL. You may think it's not that likely he would get hurt, but what does keeping him up for 5 games prove? Is he going to be the difference between the Leafs making the playoffs and not? I would have to say no. Let him finish off the year in junior and then join the Marlies in the playoffs. Introduce him to pro hockey slowly. I don't see the point in rushing the kid. Makes absolutely no sense to me at all no matter how you look at it. Not to mention it would take a year off his ELC if he were to stay up for the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    To me an 18 year old stands more of a chance getting injured against men in the NHL than playing against boys in the WHL. You may think it's not that likely he would get hurt, but what does keeping him up for 5 games prove? Is he going to be the difference between the Leafs making the playoffs and not? I would have to say no. Let him finish off the year in junior and then join the Marlies in the playoffs. Introduce him to pro hockey slowly. I don't see the point in rushing the kid. Makes absolutely no sense to me at all no matter how you look at it. Not to mention it would take a year off his ELC if he were to stay up for the year.
    Well it gets him experience with the club and the NHL. It might give him an idea of what he needs to work on back in junior more clearly. It would give us an idea of where he is at this point in his career. And yes, it would likley make the team better. He's better than Gardiner's other replacements in all liklihood (though thats a coaching decision).

The 5 games isn't really rushing him either. You keep him for 5 games (or even less if he's clearly struggling) then you send him packing. You don't lose ELC. If he happens to be awesome, you may keep him.

I don't really see any downside unless you really think he's going to get hurt in those games which seems incredibly unlikely.

Also, players get pushed all the time if their ready or to give them a try.

For example, did it hurt Mark Scheifele to be in the NHL alst year for 7 games? No even though he was pretty mediocre.

It gives your own scouts an ability to get some tape and talent evaluate him also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrice9 View Post
    I'm curious why we didn't give him 1-5 games which could be done without wasting an entry level year though especially with Gardiner's injury
    There is no exhibition season, so we don't get to see him this year. That's all. I would have liked to see him too, in exhibition games. The regular season is a different animal though. It's dangerous place for an 18 yo defenseman that isn't particualrly big or strong yet.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast