Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Amar'e: I'm as good as new

Amar'e: I'm as good as new

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/kni...as-good-as-new

LONDON -– After his best game since his belated start to the current season, Amar'e Stoudemire declared he’s as good as new.

The New York Knicks forward had 17 points in Thursday’s win over the Detroit Pistons and was an inside presence offensively, making 11 of his 12 attempts from the foul line.

He’s still coming off the bench but he’s looking a lot more comfortable after eight games back.

“It’s coming,” he stated. “It will just take more repetition, more experience, more practice. Offensively I’m definitely improving for sure and my main goal so far this season is to get better defensively so I’ll keep working on that.

“The timing’s definitely coming back. I feel just as good as I was before I was out with the injury. As far as timing, as far as explosiveness, I feel healthy and that’s definitely a positive. I think the minutes gradually improving is helping that recovery.”

With the Knicks flying back to New York Friday morning, coach Mike Woodson has yet to determine when his team will return to practice ahead of Monday’s Battle of the Big Apple against the Nets.

But Stoudemire, who has averaged 20.9 minutes per game so far, can expect to see more time on the court over the second half of the season.

“I think he’s started to figure out some things,” said Woodson.

“His conditioning has started to come and I think that will continue to grow, based on his minutes. He’ll continue to play positive minutes for us and we’ll need that.”

KNICKS 2012/2013 = REBIRTH
    Lets talk some Knicks on Twitter @knicksupdate
    Knicks Past Knicks Future
    Originally Posted by StoicSentry
    "I hate rooting for the Knicks because of their connection with the Rangers. I never became a serious Knicks fan."

vCash
    Ok.....I understand what your saying amare but...... You still show signs of your old self too...and that's a defensive liability...you were horrible defensively against detroit...

vCash
    Well obviously that is encouraging, but he really needs to play much better defensively if he wants to earn himself important minutes. Right now we don't really have a healthy backup center so he's getting minutes by default, but when Sheed/Camby get healthy he'll have to earn his minutes by rebounding and playing D

vCash
    all everyone does is bash amare on the defensive effort and need to take a chill pill. We all know he is a horrible defender but I have seen so far from him coming back that he is actually trying. He wont perfect his defense over night but seems to be making some strides.
    LETS GO KNICKS!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by grkmaster View Post
    all everyone does is bash amare on the defensive effort and need to take a chill pill. We all know he is a horrible defender but I have seen so far from him coming back that he is actually trying. He wont perfect his defense over night but seems to be making some strides.
    This. For many years in the league he got away w/o playing defense under dumbtoni who is retarted when it comes to defense. (For example, the lakers have 2 7 footers and still can't defend for their lives lol) It's not that he can't defend 1 one 1, its his rotations that he misses and is still getting use to Woodson's defensive scheme which is a unique defense. It's more of a man zone and if someone misses their rotation, it breaks down. If he continues his effort he will be fine. Let the man get to 100% condition and then judge.

vCash
    I really want Amar'e to succeed and effort was never the problem with him. It was always his lack of IQ on where to be and being able to read plays...they were just going at Amar'e yesterday, Drummond, Monroe and Will Bynum(!) did work

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yankstheknicks View Post
    Ok.....I understand what your saying amare but...... You still show signs of your old self too...and that's a defensive liability...you were horrible defensively against detroit...
    Quote Originally Posted by yankeesown69 View Post
    Well obviously that is encouraging, but he really needs to play much better defensively if he wants to earn himself important minutes. Right now we don't really have a healthy backup center so he's getting minutes by default, but when Sheed/Camby get healthy he'll have to earn his minutes by rebounding and playing D
    Statements like the ones in bold bother me as if Stat is some D-League scrub scrapping to make an NBA roster for the first time.

No, Amare is not a good defender. It's not that serious because there aren't many great defenders at the PF position in the NBA. He's as good on defense as Aldridge and better than Hickson, Dirk, Love, Boozer, Zach and Pau and Blake Griffin. He rebounded last year as well as Aldridge and was 8th in blks/game last year among PF's, ahead of Bosh, Aldridge, Sideshow Bob, David Lee, David West, Dirk, Zach and Love among others.

People want him to defend the pick and roll better...how many NBA PF's are outstanding in pick and roll defense? Why do you think it's one of the oldest plays in the game? Why do you think almost every NBA team runs a steady diet of pick and rolls each night? Because big men are not great at defending on the run and it almost always creates a mismatch.

Amare obviously has to work on, but he showed more yesterday than he ever has in his entire career. He has to learn the rotations and nuances of Woodson's scheme but he will be serviceable to say the least. Let's not pretend that when he's back in form, he won't be the 2nd most important offensive weapon for this team. Don't discount the fact that his presence on the court makes it harder to double Melo and keeps opponents bigs in foul trouble.

All this "his better worry about rebounding and hustle or he won't play" stuff is pure nonsense. Same goes for the "OMG Amare is the worst defender in the history of the NBA!!!!!" crap. With the exception of maybe one or two guys at the position, any defender you replace him with will be more of a liability on the other end of the floor.

vCash
    I really want Amar'e to succeed and effort was never the problem with him. It was always his lack of IQ on where to be and being able to read plays...they were just going at Amar'e yesterday, Drummond, Monroe and Will Bynum(!) did work
    They scored 12 points combined in that stretch. while he was out there with prigs, novak, jr and brewer. In the same span Amare scored 10 by himself and assisted on another bucket. There were stretches when they went to the basket at will on Chandler in the 3rd but not a peep from anybody.

vCash
    The most important thing about all of this is...hes healthy! It seems we forgot how good this guy can be when he's really going. The Defense will get better but at the end of the day, I'll take amare over no amare any day

vCash
    He was signed here to score so as long as he does that we are fine.
    His defense has been bad for a very long time as well as his rebounding, beating a dead horse with that topic.

vCash
    Absolutely phenomenal news Amare

vCash
    Please tell me what game you were watching where Monroe "went off"? he had 11 points the whole game and shot 4-12 from the field and you even if he scored all 4 field goals while Amare was guarding him which i HIGHLY doubt he still contained Monroe who is the pistons main offensive weapon to not shoot the ball at least because 12 field goals attempts for the whole game by their main offensive weapon doesn't seem to bad if you ask me

Please stop hating on amare because he is not a Ben wallace, sheed, camby, tyson type of defender is he as bad as everyone is saying he is i really don't think so

Anji is offline The Nba is his GAME!!!!!!
    vCash
    My mama said pray for them ****** that hate
    They just wanna be in your place.........

Shine on shine on shine on them ******
    Shine on them ****** (what it ain't what it is)
    Shine on shine on shine on them ******

vCash
    Amare is getting back to what we need him to be. Any defense we get ot of him....bonus

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Anji View Post
    What does Novak's lack of lateral movement have to do with this thread?

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast