Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    More than happy to talk about this via PM. Gotta love the 3F's in life. Football, Farming and Family, guess there are more but those are the ones most appropriate for a PG rated forum. Thanks for the discussion, I enjoyed it.

vCash
    Haha yes my raider brother i would love to go further in this discussion but it is about football here. I love the 3 Fs thing very true. Ya if you ever want to continue i would be more then happy to do it via pm. Just hit me up sometime. my whole life has been around ag. on many levels.

Oakland Raiders
    Boston Celtics Roll tide

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    More than happy to talk about this via PM. Gotta love the 3F's in life. Football, Farming and Family, guess there are more but those are the ones most appropriate for a PG rated forum. Thanks for the discussion, I enjoyed it.
    Yeah I was thinking about something else...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy951 View Post
    Yeah I was thinking about something else...
    He forgot one of the Fs

vCash
    I'm looking forward to the return of Walking Dead more than the Super Bowl.

vCash
    Me too! haha

vCash
    Me too...got used to watching 2-3 episodes a night. Lol...I miss it now.

-Stork

vCash
    I kid you not, when I was on bed rest after surgery, I would watch a whole season per day

vCash
    I also watched Breaking Bad, Weeds and a little bit of Workaholics.

vCash
    Weeds was good. Breaking Bad intrigues, never heard of Workaholics. I love Shameless...Frank Gallagher is the most heinous individual I've ever seen portrayed...anywhere.

-Stork

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raider77 View Post
    I also believe the last stat was something like 80 percent or so of farms are family owned still? could be wrong but i believe that was the last stat i read on it.
    My last comment on this.

Family farm stats are skewed. When farms are facing foreclosure, agribusiness swoops in.
    They offer the family to be able to keep the land, but agribusiness corps farm it. The family
    gets a small percentage of the profit, usually just enough to pay the bank loans but not
    enough to live on to feed/clothe/shelter a family. But families are loathe to give up
    generational land, so they do it. The agribusiness farmers come in and destroy the
    land. Make it so it's completely fallow. They don't rotate the crops properly, and
    they destroy all the local corn of farmers who DIDN'T want to use genetically
    modified seeds. Once that land is destroyed and worthless as a farm, the developers
    move in. Families give up and sell.

So those "inflated" family farm numbers are a bit of a joke. The families still "own"
    the land, but they aren't farming it, yet the lab coat and clipboard guys like to crow
    about how many "family farms" there are in America.

Anyone who thinks "farming" is in "good shape" in America... is either a lab coat,
    or has been drinkin' their Kool-Aid.

And now, back to the without BW.
    --DEUS CARITAS EST--
    LIGHT UP THE HALO!

vCash
    Still haven't watched Breaking Bad. Don't watch much TV. The only reason I saw Walking Dead is I was bedridden recovering from surgery and there was a marathon. Good show plus I like the idea of shooting zombies.

vCash
    Breaking Bad is great. It starts off slow, but entertaining. Then it just gets full on "what the ****!?" crazy!

Oh and surgery brothers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by themadstork View Post
    Weeds was good. Breaking Bad intrigues, never heard of Workaholics. I love Shameless...Frank Gallagher is the most heinous individual I've ever seen portrayed...anywhere.

-Stork
    Yeah, I love Weeds. Did you watch all of the seasons yet?

If you like Weeds, you'll love Breaking Bad. It has a lot more action.

Workaholics is not that great, but it's funny enough for me to watch it once in a while. It's basically a stoner show. Weird humor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYBLACK View Post
    My last comment on this.

Family farm stats are skewed. When farms are facing foreclosure, agribusiness swoops in.
    They offer the family to be able to keep the land, but agribusiness corps farm it. The family
    gets a small percentage of the profit, usually just enough to pay the bank loans but not
    enough to live on to feed/clothe/shelter a family. But families are loathe to give up
    generational land, so they do it. The agribusiness farmers come in and destroy the
    land. Make it so it's completely fallow.
    They don't rotate the crops properly, and
    they destroy all the local corn of farmers who DIDN'T want to use genetically
    modified seeds. Once that land is destroyed and worthless as a farm, the developers
    move in. Families give up and sell.

So those "inflated" family farm numbers are a bit of a joke. The families still "own"
    the land, but they aren't farming it, yet the lab coat and clipboard guys like to crow
    about how many "family farms" there are in America.

Anyone who thinks "farming" is in "good shape" in America... is either a lab coat,
    or has been drinkin' their Kool-Aid.

And now, back to the without BW.
    Do you understand the definition of fallow? Its ground that is deliberately left out of rotation for a season or two, non irrigated farmers do this as a cultural practice to conserve moisture. It has nothing to do with a soil's ability to produce.

Explain to me how or why corporate farms ruin soil? The very non renewable resource they depend on for their bottom line?

Genetically modified hybrids are a controversial topic, mainly because European and Asian markets still have not figured out the acceptable tolerance levels in the food chain. Still plenty of non GMO corn raised, but you cannot give me a single rational explanation for how they destroy soil tilth?

I am neither a lab coat or "clip board guy", my brother runs my families 6th generation farm and has been thriving. As a crop advisor, my boots are always in the field, agriculture is a shining star in today's economy, as I said the opportunities are there, whether or not people are savy enough to capitalize on them are another thing entirely. Not sure what to tell you other than your wrong or misinformed. You are entitled to your opinions but please make them informed, Sorry but you are talking out of school. [shrug].

I have heard about Walking Dead, sounds like a good series, No?
    Last edited by Proximo; 01-23-2013 at 07:13 PM.

Page 12 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast