Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    vCash
    What you majoring in?

vCash
    Computer Engineering.

vCash
    Good luck with that, very marketable degree. My company is always seeking bright young IT people.

vCash
    Thanks!

What company are you a part of?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy951 View Post
    Thanks!

What company are you a part of?

http://www.simplot.com/ag_suppliers

vCash
    Nice! I can see why you have a lot of agricultural knowledge.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    I don't know. I added some thoughts on the state of American agribusiness and no one replied, maybe I came off as a know it all [shrug].
    Sorry there bro didnt see your post on ag. Whats your back round in?

Oakland Raiders
    Boston Celtics Roll tide

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy951 View Post
    Hey HBB, check this out. I took this pic for you haha.
    Click Here.
    *laughing!!!!!* Yeah, I have spent some hours in there, for sure!!!
    --DEUS CARITAS EST--
    LIGHT UP THE HALO!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raider77 View Post
    FWIW, I didn't see it 'til right now, either. Sorreh.
    --DEUS CARITAS EST--
    LIGHT UP THE HALO!

vCash
    I guess it's just as well I didn't see Proximo's post. I disagree with the corn comments
    as total bull****. But to me, someone who thinks that, ain't worth arguing with. *shrug*
    --DEUS CARITAS EST--
    LIGHT UP THE HALO!

vCash
    Corn is good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYBLACK View Post
    I guess it's just as well I didn't see Proximo's post. I disagree with the corn comments
    as total bull****. But to me, someone who thinks that, ain't worth arguing with. *shrug*
    Interesting; but I wasn't debating, its how it is. I sincerely know what I am talking about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raider77 View Post
    Agronomic consulting, been doing it for about 20 years now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYBLACK View Post
    I hear you brother, I hear you. Back in the day, (and I'm talking mid to late 1700s here!) my
    family were all sharecroppers until they earned enough to have their own little farms and
    try to make those farms grow. But between the banks and corporate intervention into
    agri-business, most of the farmers in my family have thrown in the towel. The few who
    do still farm, mostly sell corn to bourbon companies or grow burley (tobacco). Kinda crazy
    that the only two things you can still make money at... aren't food, they're luxuries.

I guess that kinda says something about our society too. People want food to be cheap
    cheap cheap and all of it pretty as can be and shiny and no dents or blemishes, but they
    will pay all kind of money for single-barrel bourbon and a carton of smokes.

America: We Got Our Priorities All Messed Up, And We're Proud!

Not necessarily. In agriculture the future is for the efficient, or the farmer than can develop and maintain a niche market for his crops. Some commodities, such as potatoes, onions, soybeans and grain corn can be grown more efficiently by larger corporate farms. Other crops, such as forage timothy, tobacco, and certain seed crops are better grown by smaller specialized operations, the family farm is alive and well, trust me. People can make excuses all they want, but opportunities are there, especially in agriculture right now. You may not be able to do it like your grandfather did it, but times change, you have to change with them. My families agricultural roots date back to the some of the first potato cultivars grown in Ireland.

Yes, people want and deserve inexpensive food, that's why other industries are able to make advances because people are not preoccupied in finding their next meal, be happy you live in these times. Coach Allen is able to concentrate on improving the Raiders and not wasting practice time having Tommy Kelly and Micheal Huff out hunting for wild boar, or having Janikowski out tending to the tomato patch, instead of kicking FG's. People will always need to eat, its a infinite market. Yes, people will also pay good money for a good bottle of bourbon, another market that isn't going away anytime soon, as a farmer you need to find your niche, the opportunities are there. It seems this day and age people want equal opportunities, and equal results. Not directing any of this at you but rather your comments. This isn't an agricultural forum, so I am done after this, but agriculture has endless opportunities, its a really great place to be right now. I consider myself blessed.
    Last edited by Proximo; 01-23-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: grammar

vCash
    I know the farm talk gets old on here so ill make this my last as well but i do agree with alot of what you say. You must be involved in it somehow cause alot of that is pretty dead on. I didnt see your corn comments and dont know how far to go back so i just moved on past that part. Your right tho not matter what in what kind of economy people will always have to eat. In this day and age most dont grow there own so they rely on others to do ir for them. THere is alot of people to feed in this world. I also believe the last stat was something like 80 percent or so of farms are family owned still? could be wrong but i believe that was the last stat i read on it.

Oakland Raiders
    Boston Celtics Roll tide

Page 11 of 61 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast