Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYBLACK View Post
    God, chickens and hogs. Two of the hardest things to raise! We used to raise some turkeys just for eatin' on the farm. You don't mess with those suckers! *laughing!

How it works here with small-farm tobacco is they have buyers who will come around to your
    farm, look at what you got, and make you an offer. Usually they are kind of like... they represent
    several "interests" aka tobacco companies so they are almost like tobacco brokers or something.
    If you like the price, they'll send a truck out to come get the stuff. 'Used to be you had to take
    it all into town and take it to the buyers but now it's the other way 'round. Same thing with
    cattle. Buyers will come look and come get 'em now.

Tobacco is crazy though cause when you cut it and hang it, you get that tar all over you.
    Man that stuff is worse than pine tar, for real. You get it on your clothes you never get
    it out, so you mizewell just have some tobacco cuttin' clothes and that's it. But you can
    always tell cuttin' time cause people got it on their hands, their hats, everything. *laughing*

Corn though... the other thing is, when ethanol started getting really pushed, corn farmers
    were made all these promises of what a boom it was gonna be, and you know how those
    banks are. Out there tellin' people Heyyy, it's gonna be great! You're gonna need a new
    tractor or two and this and that and why not a new dualie and we'll loan you all this for the
    low, low rate of...[fill in total b.s. interest rate] and then people say Yeah yeah! Right! Let's
    do this! Then, woops, people aren't buyin' the ethanol, there are problems about the
    emissions, blah blah yadda yadda, then drought comes, prices are sky high but the demand
    isn't there. And you well know what happens when you miss a payment on that loan.
    Interest rate they quoted you is GONE, DADDY GONE. So, a whole new round of people
    are losing farms.

Sad thing is, here, they're all selling to housing developers who are playing 2K an acre for
    farmland in nowhere Kentucky. WTF? Weirder still, there's people buying up old farms,
    razing all the barns, and building these HUGE houses like castles. Who ARE these people?
    Where did they come from? What are they doing here? When someone finds out, it's
    usually some Widget Magnate from another country. It's just weird to see 'em buying
    up "flyover country" and building houses bigger than our whole courthouse. Strange days.
    Haha i love the video and i know everyone is just scratching there heads at us but its alright this is my life. You should see some of my friends from down south come visit and hear us talk about farming. its like a different language to them.
    I liek the process of growing tobacco man very interesting thanks for the info. I would love to grown one crop and see how it works in person some day.
    If youve grown turkeys man you know what mean *******s they can be. Theyre a true pain in the ***. Get in a group of all toms at about 18 weeks and you better watch out cause they can take a person down.
    The corn thing just makes me so mad. THeyre taking the corn from all of us for ethanol. Its not even working anymore they arent selling that **** and the business is failing but we still have to pay 8 dollars and more a bushal still. Its run alot of small poultry farms out of business here and even some of the big companys have gone under. Its just a complete shame.
    I understand about the guys buying up farm land. Were i live it use to be a small town surrounded by nothing but good farm land. Then all these people form the bay area started moving here and buying up the land. Good farmland got covered up for track homes for these people who hate the farmers they call neighbors now. I mean people would buy homes and they would be right next to a dairy farm. They complain about the smell and run these guys out off their land. I mean if you dont like the smell dont come to a place where farming is everything and buy a home by a dairy. It just doesnt make sense but the people making all the money off them coming here dont care they just go ahead and kick farmers out.

Oakland Raiders
    Boston Celtics Roll tide

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by raider77 View Post
    Then all these people form the bay area started moving here and buying up the land. Good farmland got covered up for track homes for these people who hate the farmers they call neighbors now. I mean people would buy homes and they would be right next to a dairy farm. They complain about the smell and run these guys out off their land. I mean if you dont like the smell dont come to a place where farming is everything and buy a home by a dairy. It just doesnt make sense but the people making all the money off them coming here dont care they just go ahead and kick farmers out.
    My sister used to raise Arabians, and also had some "movie buffalo" on her property. Then tract houses moved in around them and yep, people started to complain about the smell. They made life such hell, my sister sold the property to a developer who turned the land into an old folks home. I wonder if the neighbors now complain about the "old people smell".
    --DEUS CARITAS EST--
    LIGHT UP THE HALO!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HILLBILLYBLACK View Post
    My sister used to raise Arabians, and also had some "movie buffalo" on her property. Then tract houses moved in around them and yep, people started to complain about the smell. They made life such hell, my sister sold the property to a developer who turned the land into an old folks home. I wonder if the neighbors now complain about the "old people smell".
    HillBilly, that is one of the saddest most hilarious things I have read on here. You crack me up! Oh and I just love that mountain woman attitude of yours!

I'm Your Huckleberry.

vCash

My laptop battery fell out when my dad dropped it in the morning. Now I have to drive back home!

vCash
    Walking Dead returns February 10th.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
    This place is turning into a joke.
    Wassa matta BW. Too much farm talk

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raider in FL View Post
    Wassa matta BW. Too much farm talk
    Didn't she post that BEFORE the farm talk? : P
    --DEUS CARITAS EST--
    LIGHT UP THE HALO!

vCash
    Well this is awkward.

vCash
    Hello everyone. Y'all too cool to post in here now or whaaa?

vCash
    By the way, GO ZAC DYSERT!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigGuy951 View Post
    Hello everyone. Y'all too cool to post in here now or whaaa?
    I don't know. I added some thoughts on the state of American agribusiness and no one replied, maybe I came off as a know it all [shrug].

vCash
    Haha I saw agriculture talk going on and I just skipped over it. I had enough of that in my 2 Environmental Science classes -__-

vCash
    Where are you going to school? I am a Cal Poly alumn.

vCash
    I go to UC Riverside

I was really close to committing to Cal Poly because of the Engineering program, but I chose to stay closer. I ended up narrowing it down to UCR vs UC Santa Barbara, but I chose UCR because my sister got pregnant with my first nephew and I didn't want to miss out on the first several years of his life living so far. It also didn't hurt that I was born and raised in Riverside and I still have family living there, so rent is cheaper than dorms.

vCash
    Hey HBB, check this out. I took this pic for you haha.

Click Here.

Page 10 of 61 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast