Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Nigel Adkins sacked as Southampton boss

Southampton have sacked manager Nigel Adkins after two-and-a-half years in charge and appointed Argentine Mauricio Pochettino as manager.

The Saints came from 2-0 down to draw with Chelsea on Wednesday and are currently three points clear of the relegation zone.

Adkins, 47, took the club from League One to the Premier League with successive promotions.
    Pochettino, 40, will take charge against Everton on Monday.

The Argentine left Spanish side Espanyol in November and will lead training on Saturday for the first time.

Southampton chairman Nicola Cortese said in a statement : "This decision has been made with the long-term ambitions of Southampton Football Club in mind.

"Whilst we acknowledge the contribution Nigel has made during the past two years, for the club to progress and achieve our long-term targets a change was needed.

"Mauricio is a well-respected coach of substantial quality who has gained a reputation as an astute tactician and excellent man manager.

"I have every confidence that he will inspire our talented squad of players to perform at the highest possible level."

Pochettino played for Espanyol and Paris Saint-Germain as a defender during his career, and won 20 caps for Argentina, fouling Michael Owen at the 2002 World Cup to give England a penalty which was converted by David Beckham.

Pochettino said: "This is the kind of opportunity that any coach would relish. Southampton is a club with great heritage, and an even more exciting future.

"There is a clear vision to take the club to a new era of sustained success in the Premier League, and beyond, which I'm delighted to be part of."

Pochettino took charge of Espanyol at the age of 36 in January 2009, and managed a best finish of eighth in La Liga in 2010-11.

He left the club by mutual consent at the end of November 2012, with an overall record of 49 wins from 146 league matches.

Former Southampton manager and vice-president of the League Managers Association Lawrie McMenemy believes Adkins has been treated harshly.

He told BBC Radio 5 live: "Well I am shocked. I said right from the start that to finish fourth bottom in the first season in the Premier League is success.

"The ambition this year is to stay in the Premier League and they look set for that, not many teams will go to Chelsea and get a draw.

"With due respect to Pochettino, what does he know about our game? What does he know about the Premier League?

"What does he know about the dressing room, does he speak English?

"Everybody will be feeling sorry for Nigel Adkins. I don't think he'll have a problem getting another appointment."
    BBC.co.uk

You have to wonder how much these owners have to drink before they make these decisions...

vCash
    I'd argue that they have underachieved all campaign, but this is odd timing.
    Manchester City - Baltimore Ravens - Baltimore Orioles - Brooklyn Nets

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ Raven View Post
    Well this time two years ago they were a League One side, and now they're leading a survival battle in the Premier League. I can't see how they could expect any more from the manager. I admit they've been pretty bad defensively, but overall they've gotten better as the season has gone on. Ridiculous firing to me.

vCash
    It's oddly similar to Warnock last season.

vCash
    QPR was not in as good of form as Southhampton is right now. QPR started off good, got a little hot and when Warnock was released they had really cooled off and were sliding down, not climbing the table like Southhampton has been for the few weeks. I can understand this move in the offseason if the board felt they were not where they wanted to be at the end of the season, but with their current form, they are too close to the relegation zone and it's too late in the season to mess with right now.

vCash

vCash
    Agreed. They played some good soccer and were unlucky with a lot of their ties/ losses.

vCash
    I disagree. I could be wrong but I think Warnock spent a lot more money on transfers than Adkins did. People forget that as good as Warnock is for getting teams promoted, he also leaves teams in a very **** state - he was partly responsible for Bury almost going out of business, he helped send Sheffield United down to league one and Harry Redknapp has commented on the obscene wages a lot of his team are on, and I don't think Mark Hughes signed all of them.

I've not heard anything to suggest that Southampton have let their wages/transfer fees go out of control, Adkins seems to have kept them pretty stable whilst also winning back-to-back promotion. He didn't deserve this sacking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    I disagree. I could be wrong but I think Warnock spent a lot more money on transfers than Adkins did. People forget that as good as Warnock is for getting teams promoted, he also leaves teams in a very **** state - he was partly responsible for Bury almost going out of business, he helped send Sheffield United down to league one and Harry Redknapp has commented on the obscene wages a lot of his team are on, and I don't think Mark Hughes signed all of them.

I've not heard anything to suggest that Southampton have let their wages/transfer fees go out of control, Adkins seems to have kept them pretty stable whilst also winning back-to-back promotion. He didn't deserve this sacking.
    Yeah you are right. During the ESPN broadcast, MCmanaman said the Spanish papers were reporting this for weeks.

vCash
    Ridiculous firing.