Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by postman47 View Post
    Last season, the Redsox suffered from many issues which contributed to the very poor season. The Mgr was one issue that has been fixed. Our top starter (Lester) had his a horrible season, but I think he will have a much better year this year. The closers were horrible, but that too should improve. The key will be injuries. Way too many last year, and while this year there will be injuries, it all comes down to the amount. If they can be somewhat limited, the Redsox can contend for a Wild Card spot, then anything can happen in the playoffs.
    x2

you never know what could happen once in the playoffs.
    The name is Amendola....

...Danny Amendola

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nighthawk View Post
    Would you agree that the talent we had last year underachieved?

AND

Do you believe they can bounce back? Guys like Lester, Clay, Ells, Pedey, and even a returning Lackey. (Assuming they stay healthy of course)

Do you believe in the new guys? Nap, Victorino, Hanrahan, Drew, Ross, Uehara, Dempster Gomes etc

You see no shot at the 2nd wild card?

I personally think with a new coach, a coach these players will actually run through a wall for, we will see a difference in attitude. Im not silly enough to think their contenders for the W.S. But is Baltimore here to stay? Will the Yankees remain on top or do we see decline?(they looked bad in the ALCS) Will Toronto put it together on the field or be a paper team? Will Tampa continue to stay atop the AL East with that lineup? We know they have the pitching. I think this season is an interesting one
    Most people can probably track with the idea that, despite their strengths, each AL East team has an obvious Achilles heel that could take them down or at least slow them down. The chances of finishing in the top two or three teams is just as good as finishing at the bottom. But consider the bigger picture and what that really means.

Unless you think that the teams with the biggest weaknesses (BAL and their approach; NYY and age) will completely collapse then a second EC is a stretch. I think that there's a faint hope but that's it. As I tried to lay out, the strength of the division plays AGAINST the Sox. In years past the WC has come from divisions in which there were clear weak teams against whom they collected +20 wins via the unbalanced schedule. The Sox, for example, routinely went 15-3 against BAL and 12-6 against TOR. If the division is as tough as predicted most of the teams will hover between 11-7 to 9-9. The best team may finish with a lower net-win count than past teams accumulated against one or two teams. Not net gain in wins within the division makes it VERY difficult to contend as a WC because there are so many fewer games against non-division teams.

The West can pile on against SEA and whichever team comes out of the game slowly. The Central will pick up wins in CLE and MIN. Those are the places where the WCs probably come from.

vCash
    The Sox ability to be a contender in 2013 comes down to two factors IMO.

1) Can the team stay healthy? & 2) Will Farrell have a stabilizing effect on the starting rotation?

If those two things happen then I think they can surprise a lot of people. If not then it could get ugly.

Regardless of how this season plays out, I really like the philosophy of holding onto (and developing) our young talent and bringing in high-character, good clubhouse guys. We may not reap the benefits of it in 2013 but I think that if they stay the course, beginning in a couple years this team could start another epic run like it had from 2003-2008.

vCash
    I think a very important factor will be if Salty catches and if so, for how long before he is dealt? If he's catching until the trade deadline I'm going to say that we aren't going to be contenders because our pitching will probably be having yet another bad season. Salty isn't the only reason our pitching has been bad in recent memory, but he is a big factor for sure. I'm done with watching him call games and strike out a third of the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    I think a very important factor will be if Salty catches and if so, for how long before he is dealt? If he's catching until the trade deadline I'm going to say that we aren't going to be contenders because our pitching will probably be having yet another bad season. Salty isn't the only reason our pitching has been bad in recent memory, but he is a big factor for sure. I'm done with watching him call games and strike out a third of the time.
    My thoughts exactly. 100% agree.

Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2013
    -mooz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LA Sox Fan View Post
    The Sox ability to be a contender in 2013 comes down to two factors IMO.

1) Can the team stay healthy? & 2) Will Farrell have a stabilizing effect on the starting rotation?

If those two things happen then I think they can surprise a lot of people. If not then it could get ugly.

Regardless of how this season plays out, I really like the philosophy of holding onto (and developing) our young talent and bringing in high-character, good clubhouse guys. We may not reap the benefits of it in 2013 but I think that if they stay the course, beginning in a couple years this team could start another epic run like it had from 2003-2008.
    It can go 50/50 especially if they can stay healthy. Will I be happy either way? YES

I would like to see them win, but will be happy if they make good moves for the deadline.

If Napoli stays healthy, and keeps showing power he can possibly bring in a good hall for a play off team looking for power for the play-offs. Same with Ells, and Lackey.

vCash
    Pretenders- outside shot at playoffs but not likely. A lot of things would have to go right, health being the main one.

Also, this team lacks power, I don't see us scarying anyone. Not that you need to, but AL East you gotta have bats/ runs, I don't see Soxs having that.

LARRY BIRD
    NBA WORLD CHAMPION 1981,1984,1986

" The greatest basketball player and mind of all time. "

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird Fan View Post
    Pretenders- outside shot at playoffs but not likely. A lot of things would have to go right, health being the main one.

Also, this team lacks power, I don't see us scarying anyone. Not that you need to, but AL East you gotta have bats/ runs, I don't see Soxs having that.
    We're definitely still going to be top 5 in the AL if not the MLB in runs considering our division and that we were top 3 last year before the trade that AGon away. Napoli will likely match Gonzalez's 2012 offensive production at least and we'll have a healthy Ellsbury, and Victorino or Gomes (depending how you look for it) instead of Sweeney or Nava.

vCash
    ^^ No, I very highly doubt Napoli even comes close to matching Gonzalez' production with the stick or glove. Just not happening. He 'might' hit 2 or 3 more homer's, that's about it.
    WTA's Next Rising Superstar - #7 in the World

French Canadian Eugenie Bouchard

vCash
    We're definitely still going to be top 5 in the AL if not the MLB in runs considering our division and that we were top 3 last year before the trade that AGon away. Napoli will likely match Gonzalez's 2012 offensive production at least and we'll have a healthy Ellsbury, and Victorino or Gomes (depending how you look for it) instead of Sweeney or Nava.
    I don't see it.

1B: broken down Napoli/replacement < Agon/Loney
    2B: Pedroia - wash
    3B: WMB with no real back-up 2nd time through the league - good chance for meh
    SS: Drew vs Aviles - wash or worse
    LF: platoon vs Crawford/Nava - probably better
    CF: Ells/injury standin vs Ells/Byrd - better
    RF: Victorino vs Ross/Sweeney - close
    C: if Salty is gone, better D, but very possible worse O.
    DH: Ortiz v Ortiz - I bet worse

This teams opening day top six hitters is worse vs last year on paper IMO, mix in injuries to to injury prone and key players such as Ortiz, Pedroia, and Napoli - and it's a poor line-up. We have no depth in the entire INF, DH and CF, and have platoon guys that will be exposed if there is injury to their platoon mate.

Overall Meh - 690-740 run team.
    Last edited by bagwell368; 01-23-2013 at 01:34 PM.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bagwell368 View Post
    I don't see it.

1B: broken down Napoli/replacement < Agon/Loney
    2B: Pedroia - wash
    3B: WMB with no real back-up 2nd time through the league - good chance for meh
    SS: Drew vs Aviles - wash or worse
    LF: platoon vs Crawford/Nava - probably better
    CF: Ells/injury standin vs Ells/Byrd - better
    RF: Victorino vs Ross/Sweeney - close
    C: if Salty is gone, better D, but very possible worse O.
    DH: Ortiz v Ortiz - I bet worse

This teams opening day top six hitters is worse vs last year on paper IMO, mix in injuries to to injury prone and key players such as Ortiz, Pedroia, and Napoli - and it's a poor line-up. We have no depth in the entire INF, DH and CF, and have platoon guys that will be exposed if there is injury to their platoon mate.

Overall Meh - 690-740 run team.
    Napoli isn't broken down until he's broken down. He has a chronic condition, were not even sure that he will be hurt too often this year. We'll see who's backup.

Lavarnway, Kalish, Drew are pretty big mysteries at this point too. I think it will be tough for drew to be worse offensively than Aviles/Iglesias though.

Good point with Ortiz, I sort of neglected that. Still, top 5 in the AL seems realistic to me depending on how many injuries hit us.

vCash
    Napoli isn't broken down until he's broken down. He has a chronic condition, were not even sure that he will be hurt too often this year. We'll see who's backup.

Lavarnway, Kalish, Drew are pretty big mysteries at this point too. I think it will be tough for drew to be worse offensively than Aviles/Iglesias though.

Good point with Ortiz, I sort of neglected that. Still, top 5 in the AL seems realistic to me depending on how many injuries hit us.
    How many hitters on this team are:

1. coming off injury riddled seasons
    2. poor seasons based on recent history

A very large amount is the answer.

Napoli has 7 years as a pro, with 2 great seasons, 1 good, and 4 meh/poor. Which one are we going to get?

Aviles is about even to Drew as on offensive player the last two years. Iglesias is liable to be the same inept offensive "force" that he was last year. Drew in his last 2 years had an OPS+ of 93, 79. Drew has played 86 and 79 games those two years due to injury. Aviles had an OPS+ of 89 and 76. But he managed 91 and 136 games played.

Seriously given the average luck, health, and decline issues. I'd say 5th in runs would be a fine outcome.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

vCash
    I feel like we are a contender for the final playoff spot. However I fear that as well. I could see us in the hunt for the playoffs around deadline time and making a bad move. For me that would be the worst case scenario. Unless your getting a King Felix, Price, Kershaw(i say no chance) or a Braun, Tulo(again no chance) Using our specs in a small deal is a bad idea. I think you set a plan and stick to it. If we are still contending around that time great, however i would like to still have our almost ready specs get playing time. Not to mention some veteran players that have value, are potentially blocking specs, need to be moved instead of held on too.

vCash
    ^^^ I honestly think the current FO will be more conservative on deals around the deadline, at least for the next year or two. By conservative I mean that they will way long-term impact more heavily than short-term. Whatever success may come, BC seems firmly committed to the idea that they are building a new nucleus that must be preserved.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    ^^^ I honestly think the current FO will be more conservative on deals around the deadline, at least for the next year or two. By conservative I mean that they will way long-term impact more heavily than short-term. Whatever success may come, BC seems firmly committed to the idea that they are building a new nucleus that must be preserved.
    Hopefully. Now if we can be judicious sellers of players and careful buyers in the FA market over the next two years, it should aid (perhaps greatly) in creating a team that can be a legitimate playoff threat in 2015, and beyond.

Folks here that want to pursue a playoff spot this year and next year at all costs are not holding sway - thankfully - or in the FO.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast