Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Read Option

vCash
    Any offense that designs QB runs is a good offense, but it's a different kind of QB. We saw the Skins go down when they lost their QB and their offense. A team has to commit by having 3 good running QBs at the ready because the starter will go down. You want to be able to continue running your offense throughout the game. That said, there can't be but 10 QB's in college who can run such an offense in the NFL, so only a few teams can do it. If you could get RG3, Newton and Kaepernik on the same team with an option offense you could just mail them the Lombardi Trophy halfway through the season.

vCash
    As much as I've enjoyed watching Kap run out of this, I'm hoping that as more teams look to contain him that Gore/Hunter/James will then start getting the ball with more free gaps up the middle.

vCash
    I think it will stay, but it's just another weapon in the arsenal if you've got an athletic QB. I don't see it becoming anyone's base offense in the long term, but why wouldn't a team use it if it has the right personnel?

vCash
    It does matter how you have The QB run the FootBall, what matters is he is taking additional hits (and some he should no where near) than QBs can handle and stay in The game. I would only do it with 3rd-QBs, every once in awhile and as quickly as possible get 1st-QBs in and run better plays/QBs not running at all.
    Wild West, Ag. community, Seasonal-Self Employed, Bachelor Degree, Broad Fields, Experiences, Creative-Open minded, Reality-People, Tom Hartmann&Dan Sileo 'Best Broadcasters, Expose-Take On Big Guys Taking Little Guys', So What-Whom tell? Fanship, NOT FANATIC; Quality, Critically examine, Thought out, learned, experienced, facilitated, diverse fields, proven, science, others have experienced, Report personal attacks, Off Topics or bully Topics, Don't like-ignore, still not like-ignore button.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kubernetes View Post
    I think it will stay, but it's just another weapon in the arsenal if you've got an athletic QB. I don't see it becoming anyone's base offense in the long term, but why wouldn't a team use it if it has the right personnel?
    Get your #1QB injured multiple times (reference just SB playing QB Michael 'Serial Dog Torturer & Murder' Vick), most expensive position/players in The NFL and better plays in the playbooks.
    Wild West, Ag. community, Seasonal-Self Employed, Bachelor Degree, Broad Fields, Experiences, Creative-Open minded, Reality-People, Tom Hartmann&Dan Sileo 'Best Broadcasters, Expose-Take On Big Guys Taking Little Guys', So What-Whom tell? Fanship, NOT FANATIC; Quality, Critically examine, Thought out, learned, experienced, facilitated, diverse fields, proven, science, others have experienced, Report personal attacks, Off Topics or bully Topics, Don't like-ignore, still not like-ignore button.

vCash
    As the college game heads more towards the athlete at QB that will have a big impact on the NFL. I do expect to see more and more teams with QB's who can scoot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
    As the college game heads more towards the athlete at QB that will have a big impact on the NFL. I do expect to see more and more teams with QB's who can scoot.
    Your prediction is already falling a part, research how many spoiled and not ready QBs are entering The NCAA FBS, let alone The NFL, yet they have to learn to do running as a QB & passing at least enough quality and so many running QBs are already injured and careers done or drastically affected (RG III- already); but STUPID NFL People (Owners - QB Coaches) are going to have to fail repeatedly and maybe, out of The NFL completely.

vCash
    If you have a quarterback that can run it, you should incorporate some elements of it into your gameplan. I firmly believe that. But Robert Griffin showed us this year why it can't be a base offense in the NFL. Defenders are too big and the quarterback takes too many big hits for it to be effective long term, without killing the qb.

You can't ONLY use the read option. You have to also do some standard NFL runs, or your offense won't work well.

vCash
    There have always been athletic quarterbacks in college. You're obviously just paying attention to the college game more recently. The only guy that has come into the NFL that I can think of without looking it up that could have run a read option effectively long term is Tim Tebow. And he's not a very good passer. You would need a BIG strong athlete, not just a fast guy who can also throw.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteShark View Post
    Your prediction is already falling a part, research how many spoiled and not ready QBs are entering The NCAA FBS, let alone The NFL, yet they have to learn to do running as a QB & passing at least enough quality and so many running QBs are already injured and careers done or drastically affected (RG III- already); but STUPID NFL People (Owners - QB Coaches) are going to have to fail repeatedly and maybe, out of The NFL completely.
    That's not what I'm seeing at all.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j11430 View Post
    There have always been athletic quarterbacks in college. You're obviously just paying attention to the college game more recently. The only guy that has come into the NFL that I can think of without looking it up that could have run a read option effectively long term is Tim Tebow. And he's not a very good passer. You would need a BIG strong athlete, not just a fast guy who can also throw.
    A big strong QB is the last thing you want. No QB will last long trying to run over NFL defenders. I'm talking about that 4.6 guy who gets what he can then bails.

vCash
    I think the NFL is changing with the new breed of QBs. I think the read option is okay for now but eventually they will have to operate in the pocket and just have the threat of escaping the pocket to extend plays or run for a TD.

vCash
    Kk, Lemme know

57 Rec - 882 Yards -6 TD

vCash
    A big strong QB is the last thing you want. No QB will last long trying to run over NFL defenders. I'm talking about that 4.6 guy who gets what he can then bails.
    Not saying he's gonna run over defenders, just need a big a body to absorb the blows. RGIII is 220 (?), that kind of body does last long when getting hit by linebackers all the time. You get a guy who's 240+ he's going to be able to take more hits and last longer.

vCash
    The key to EVERY offence is to mix things up to a degree that it keeps the defence off guard.

A QB who is mobile is only a real running threat is he can also throw and has weapons to throw to.

If you have a Tim Tebow and the defence doesnt fear his arm, he isnt able to do a lot of damage.
    _

Adopt a Jet

Bilal Powell - 2014
    16 carries, 78 yards, 1 TD
    5 receptions, 50 yards

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast