Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Read Option

vCash

The Read Option

The last three Heisman winners were all QB 's who could motor. As we know we see a lot of NCAA programs with an athlete at the QB position, a guy who can run. No not talking about a sprinter or a RB playing QB, just a guy with 4.6ish speed and can escape the pocket.

I'm not in favor of designed running plays for QB's, (Tebow the exception for the obvious reasons) other than the read option. If it's understood....get what you can then bail...cool~~~ QB's don't have those thunder thighs like a RB, they can't take the pounding.

With the read option somebody has to zero in on the QB, that takes at least one could be tackler out of the mix. I look for NFL teams to start looking for the more athletic QB's, guys who can get outside. It's just another weapon just something else defenses have to work on. I like it and think it will work if QB's don't try and get macho.

Then there's the the moving pocket, something the Chiefs used back in the days of Len Dawson. Take the snap from the shot gun formation and immediately head left or right to set up, that takes away the blitz and one side of the defensive line rush. That needs to be brought back. The Chiefs won a SB.
    Last edited by CCRider; 01-18-2013 at 05:13 AM.

vCash
    Is there a question here?

vCash
    Well, it is little more than a play or set of plays. If some team or QB has the ability to add it to their arsenal, who cares. It isn't worthy of anything more than a curiosity as part of a teams playbook as well as their in game play selection.
    Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are."

vCash
    this will phase out as qbs get hurt
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    In the best and safest version of that offensive approach, the QB is mostly a decoy in terms of running. For example, of Oregon's 4000 rushing yards last year, only 200 were actually from the QB. They ran a whole lot of read option, however. It's a matter of trusting your RB to avoid one tackler as opposed to making your QB try to do it. Honestly, I think the play will be used situationally in the NFL, but not as a staple of any offense, largely for the reasons you cite -- see Vick's injuries, RGIII's injuries etc. as examples of the downside of running with your QB, as opposed to using your QB as a viable run-threat decoy.
    "There are many reasons the U.S. shouldn’t go to war with the Islamic State — and the best one may be because that is exactly what they want us to do." -- Dan Froomkin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CCRider View Post
    The last three Heisman winners were all QB 's who could motor. As we know we see a lot of NCAA programs with an athlete at the QB position, a guy who can run. No not talking about a sprinter or a RB playing QB, just a guy with 4.6ish speed and can escape the pocket.

I'm not in favor of designed running plays for QB's, (Tebow the exception for the obvious reasons) other than the read option. If it's understood....get what you can then bail...cool~~~ QB's don't have those thunder thighs like a RB, they can't take the pounding.

With the read option somebody has to zero in on the QB, that takes at least one could be tackler out of the mix. I look for NFL teams to start looking for the more athletic QB's, guys who can get outside. It's just another weapon just something else defenses have to work on. I like it and think it will work if QB's don't try and get macho.

Then there's the the moving pocket, something the Chiefs used back in the days of Len Dawson. Take the snap from the shot gun formation and immediately head left or right to set up, that takes away the blitz and one side of the defensive line rush. That needs to be brought back. The Chiefs won a SB.
    Does NOT need to be a question!

I could not disagree more, here today, gone tomorrow offense.

Just that the majority of sports fans attention spans are as small, compared to the spectrum of The NFL evolutions and de-evolutions.
    Wild West, Ag. community, Seasonal-Self Employed, Bachelor Degree, Broad Fields, Experiences, Creative-Open minded, Reality-People, Tom Hartmann&Dan Sileo 'Best Broadcasters, Expose-Take On Big Guys Taking Little Guys', So What-Whom tell? Fanship, NOT FANATIC; Quality, Critically examine, Thought out, learned, experienced, facilitated, diverse fields, proven, science, others have experienced, Report personal attacks, Off Topics or bully Topics, Don't like-ignore, still not like-ignore button.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by subroc View Post
    Well, it is little more than a play or set of plays. If some team or QB has the ability to add it to their arsenal, who cares. It isn't worthy of anything more than a curiosity as part of a teams playbook as well as their in game play selection.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    this will phase out as qbs get hurt
    And there are two-very reasons why.
    I especially, like the last one; do not think there is any advantage to add to the playbook; if you have a run first QB than you are hampering your offenses capability.
    Wild West, Ag. community, Seasonal-Self Employed, Bachelor Degree, Broad Fields, Experiences, Creative-Open minded, Reality-People, Tom Hartmann&Dan Sileo 'Best Broadcasters, Expose-Take On Big Guys Taking Little Guys', So What-Whom tell? Fanship, NOT FANATIC; Quality, Critically examine, Thought out, learned, experienced, facilitated, diverse fields, proven, science, others have experienced, Report personal attacks, Off Topics or bully Topics, Don't like-ignore, still not like-ignore button.

vCash
    I wish I could link to this other forum thread about the read option that's mind blowing.

But this is PSD and nobody would read it.

I'm down at the rec center watchin' folks swim.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by j11430 View Post
    Is there a question here?
    No.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    I wish I could link to this other forum thread about the read option that's mind blowing.

But this is PSD and nobody would read it.
    Ahh PSD, where nonsense garbage threads have the highest traffic, and insightful, informative threads get overlooked.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lolPhillies View Post
    Ahh PSD, where nonsense garbage threads have the highest traffic, and insightful, informative threads get overlooked.
    I could not agree more with your post!

Then there are the posts expressing opinions and not trying to cause stupid fights, but still fans protecting their unquestionable franchises, players & opinions launch on those threads & posts! Then corrupt websites and moderators shut down those threads, punishing the wrong people!

vCash
    Cam Newton?
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    The thing that kills me the most, when watching teams defend the read option is that I swear most DC's have absolutely ZERO idea how to defend it. Time and time again, defenses are leaving their DE in a 50/50 state. For those of you who don't know what that means, it means he becomes the "read" player the QB is looking at. He has both responsibilities of his now "C" gap which is essentially being threatened by two players, the RB and the QB.

When will DC's figure it out. I play college ball, and we were actually quite successful defending the read option this year, and we used a pretty simple adjustment. In fact, at my college, that adjustment has been in for 3 seasons now. It just baffles me sometimes, how bad some of these NFL coaches really are.

Credit--- Phins1983

Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada26 View Post
    The thing that kills me the most, when watching teams defend the read option is that I swear most DC's have absolutely ZERO idea how to defend it. Time and time again, defenses are leaving their DE in a 50/50 state. For those of you who don't know what that means, it means he becomes the "read" player the QB is looking at. He has both responsibilities of his now "C" gap which is essentially being threatened by two players, the RB and the QB.

When will DC's figure it out. I play college ball, and we were actually quite successful defending the read option this year, and we used a pretty simple adjustment. In fact, at my college, that adjustment has been in for 3 seasons now. It just baffles me sometimes, how bad some of these NFL coaches really are.
    Dom Capers?
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

vCash
    I think players/defenses will defend it a bit better next season as they prepare more but it's a good wrinkle to add to the playbook regardless as long as you don't use it too often.
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast