Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: how much do you think Derozan has improved?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • A lot. Stats don't prove it but I can tell by the eyeball test

5 15.63%
  • A decent amount.

18 56.25%
  • Little to no improvement, can tell by the stats and by watching him play

9 28.13%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Right now, I just don't know. At the beginning of the season, he was on fire! Posting up, hitting Js. He just doesn't seem into it much now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mjt20mik View Post
    Right now, I just don't know. At the beginning of the season, he was on fire! Posting up, hitting Js. He just doesn't seem into it much now.
    It looks like his energy level is down. I see him walking up the court and slowing down ball movement every time he touches the rock looking for his own shot. He's starting to show bad habits similar to Bargnani. I think he needs to be put in the dog house for a lil bit and given a chance to re-focus.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    If we're being honest, he has improved his game for sure shooting wise and although I like his improvements, I'm really starting to doubt his future.

We're in his 4th season at this point.

He has improved his defense somewhat, his hustle for rebounds and his overall shooting stroke in certain situations from years past.

That being said, Demar is still only getting to the line 5 times a game which shows his lack of willingness to penetrate, take contact and get to the line, something that all the great players in the league do.

He's throwing up 15 shots a game and making only 43% of them, something that I just can't look past even though he's scoring 17 a game.

He is still very inconsistent and disappears in far too many games to make him a desirable piece to a contending puzzle. Great players, even just good players, have games once in a while where they are ghosts on the court...Demar has a few of those each month.

For all his hard work, he needs to work more on the mental aspect of his game then anything. A player decides to drive to the bucket and get to the line, they don't learn or train themselves to do that. He needs to change his mental makeup on the floor in order to take a step as a player otherwise he will forever be stuck as what he currently is, a guy that can put up points and have big game once in a while but who is inefficient and needs the ball for long stretches to be a factor in a game.

The only advantage that Demar has over his competition is his athleticism and even that isn't elite as he's merely a very good athlete, in my opinion a more skilled albeit physically smaller Joey Graham. With that said, what can we really expect from him going forward? He refuses to consistently attack the defense, isn't a dead-on mid-range shooter to make up for his lack of three point shot at his position and doesn't defend well...and we just signed him to a massive extension to boot...

Demar Derozen is not a starting SG on two thirds of NBA rosters. You could even already make the case like others already have that Terrence Ross is already a better overall player (much better defender, better outside shooter, better slasher). If we hadn't committed what we did to him, I think 9/10 people who know basketball would've already started Ross ahead of Demar.

What we have now is one of the most overpaid players in the league sadly.
    Where Pick n Roll...Pick and Roll...Pick and Roll...Rebound Happens

vCash
    For me, he's been a huuuuge disappointment! Sometimes he makes 3 consecutive mistakes which completely change the momentum of the game (missed shot, failed defense rotation, etc). Im not giving up hope on DD I hope he does turn it around.

Off topic, I've noticed a trend with players and their first year coaches and how it translates into the players' careers. I think the 1st year is vital in a player's development as they know exactly whats expected of them and it carries on for their career. I think part of the reason DD seems like he takes plays off is cuz he thinks he can coast and take some plays off and I think its related to Triano being his first year coach in the NBA. Bargs is in the same boat with Smitch, he was never held accountable on defense and rebounding.

Compare that to T.Ross, Acy and Val with Casey being their first year coach. These guys get benched for any little hiccup on the court and are held accountable.
    LEAFS, CHELSEA FC, RAPTORS, BLUE JAYS, COWBOYS

vCash
    honestly i think he is letting all the referee no - calls get to his head. it is obvious that he cannot seem to get over this especially in game when he gets fouled but no call, and his play just slumps big time

its a confidence issue. i wouldn't worry about it but he needs to really get through this because the Raptors were playing their best when not only Davis was scoring, but when Derozan was doing his thing too

he needs to improve his defense to give Casey a reason to keep him on the floor, even when his shooting is bad, which is why we see him getting yank. if he is not producing offensively, then he is really just useless

vCash
    he's improved but not drastically. its pretty clear he will embrace the role of role-player to a star at the 3 or the 1. He definitely needs people setting him up to be effective. He doesn't come with intangibles that we would like but he is solid.

Will he be a starter in a few years if continues to grow at this rate? i don't know. his game isn't dynamic enough to sustain at the NBA level. We have seen two straight years of tapering off after decent starts and he has been wildly inconsistent. He really really needs to grow his game by next season to even stand a chance of being relevant in this league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koreancabbage View Post
    he's improved but not drastically. its pretty clear he will embrace the role of role-player to a star at the 3 or the 1. He definitely needs people setting him up to be effective. He doesn't come with intangibles that we would like but he is solid.

Will he be a starter in a few years if continues to grow at this rate? i don't know. his game isn't dynamic enough to sustain at the NBA level. We have seen two straight years of tapering off after decent starts and he has been wildly inconsistent. He really really needs to grow his game by next season to even stand a chance of being relevant in this league.
    Look at his split stats.. they say otherwise

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Byronicle View Post
    honestly i think he is letting all the referee no - calls get to his head. it is obvious that he cannot seem to get over this especially in game when he gets fouled but no call, and his play just slumps big time

its a confidence issue. i wouldn't worry about it but he needs to really get through this because the Raptors were playing their best when not only Davis was scoring, but when Derozan was doing his thing too

he needs to improve his defense to give Casey a reason to keep him on the floor, even when his shooting is bad, which is why we see him getting yank. if he is not producing offensively, then he is really just useless
    That's his biggest problem he drives hoping for a foul, when he should be driving to score...The reason star players get those calls is because they are actually a threat to finish...Derozan rarely ever finishes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Byronicle View Post
    Look at his split stats.. they say otherwise
    look at our team record and Demar's recent performance. what am i looking at? he's tapering off. he's pretty much done jack all since he started this season.

they are almost identical to last year. if anything, his per 36 is WORSE than last year.

vCash
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/iphone/baske...ptors_mcneill/

Teams are forcing DeMar DeRozan to shoot jumpers this season and he's taking the bait but failing miserably.

If you were to skim DeRozan's stats this season it would appear his career-high 17.5 points per game would be reason to celebrate his growth on the offensive end. The problem is he's shooting only 43.4 per cent from the field and he has been prone to coasting for quarters where he fails to assert himself on either end of the floor.

Last season Dwane Casey implored DeRozan to "body hunt" to earn free throws. The idea was fantastic as DeRozan finished 21st in the NBA in free-throw attempts per game and he attempted 5.3 attempts per game. The chance to get some easy points at the charity stripe helped to bump his scoring when he shot an abysmal 42 per cent from the field and 26 per cent from beyond the arc.

This season, however, teams have rediscovered that DeRozan's jump shot isn't reliable so they are stacking the paint against him and sagging off him while daring him to shoot. His free goal attempts are down (4.9) and he is lurking out on the perimeter more than he did last season.

DeRozan's shooting woes were highlighted this weekend when he failed to score in double digits in both games. He was held to shooting 4-9 from the field in the Raptors win over the Los Angeles Lakers while going 4-10 in a loss to the Philadelphia 76ers on Friday night.

The troubling thing is DeRozan's shooting woes aren't isolated to this weekend, but instead have lasted all month as he is shooting 40 per cent from the field in January. According to Basketball Reference, DeRozan has made all 26 of his 27 dunk attempts and 59 of the 117 layups he has attempted. Those two shots are responsible for almost a quarter of his field goal attempts and helped to spike his field goal percentage.

Where things start to get scary is when you realize that nearly 75 per cent of DeRozan's field goal attempts are jump shots but he is only making 38 per cent of those (169-440). So, in essence, he's a shooting guard that has struggled to shoot this season.

Ouch!

By taking away his ability to score in the paint it has rendered DeRozan a relative ghost.

The other thing that is worrisome is that DeRozan is able to start games strong in the first quarter (he shoots 49.5 per cent from the field) but in the fourth quarter he cools down considerably (31 per cent) once opposing defenses figure out that his jumper is shaky so they decided to take away his ability to penetrate or dunk.

Also, along those lines, he only shoots 35 per cent from the field in the final three minutes of a quarter. So, in essence, when it comes close to resembling clutch time DeRozan shrinks in a big way.

DeRozan has long been heralded as a player who works hard and spends a ton of time in the gym. However, all of that time clearly isn't paying off because his jump shot isn't improving and the athletic guard is unable to find ways to score outside of the paint.

As the scouting report on DeRozan continues to circulate about his inability to hit a jump shot, look for his shooting percentages to dip closer to what they were last season. Or, look for his field goal percentage to sink to something ugly like the 40.3 per cent from the field he is shooting from the field so far this month.

This slump could turn ugly quickly.

vCash
    Derozan sucks, he's a shooting guard who can't shoot, dribble, or defend. Can't believe BC gave him that contract.

vCash
    This season, however, teams have rediscovered that DeRozan's jump shot isn't reliable so they are stacking the paint against him and sagging off him while daring him to shoot. His free goal attempts are down (4.9) and he is lurking out on the perimeter more than he did last season.
    Bring Bargnani back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nirvana235 View Post
    Derozan sucks, he's a shooting guard who can't shoot, dribble, or defend. Can't believe BC gave him that contract.
    Derozan just has to realize that he needs to become more of a distributer to be successful. Teams send help at him fast and he needs to do a better job of recognizing where the help is coming from and making the extra pass.
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    Derozan just has to realize that he needs to become more of a distributer to be successful. Teams send help at him fast and he needs to do a better job of recognizing where the help is coming from and making the extra pass.
    7 assist tonight, btw i think a bench role would be best for derozan he doesn't mesh with landry and the other guys,he plays well when bargnani is out there spreading the floor. he can come in and beat up on second unit guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bucketss View Post
    7 assist tonight, btw i think a bench role would be best for derozan he doesn't mesh with landry and the other guys,he plays well when bargnani is out there spreading the floor. he can come in and beat up on second unit guys.
    Would you rather start Anderson or Terrence Ross?
    Win Championship [ ]

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast