Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: how much do you think Derozan has improved?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • A lot. Stats don't prove it but I can tell by the eyeball test

5 15.63%
  • A decent amount.

18 56.25%
  • Little to no improvement, can tell by the stats and by watching him play

9 28.13%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

How much do you feel that Derozan has improved?

Alot of talk in here lately has been about the PG's, so let's look at the guy that we've hoped to become our "franchise player".

I personally feel that he's still the same player that he's been the past 3 years and the numbers back it up. He's still a guy who's pretty good at drawing contact and getting to the line, is a solid mid-range game when he's 'feeling it', but is a poor 3pt shooter, still struggles to get his shot off at times, and isn't a playmaker. This year he does seem more confident to me, and looks to be more of a leader. But production wise he hasn't improved at all in the past 3 years.

per game:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pi/shareit/iqZlu

advanced:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pi/shareit/qG75p

so what do you make of Derozan so far as a Raptor and what do you think his future is? do you see his career being status quo? or do you still see alot of potential in this guy? Because I'm leaning toward the former.

**I tried posting the charts from the links but I failed on that **** miserably....so if anyone knows how to do that it'd be appreciated.**
    Last edited by Sadds The Gr8; 01-18-2013 at 05:26 AM.

vCash
    Numbers wise, ya he's basically the same player. He has improved though, especially that jump shot. I just wish he would attack the rim with more authority. He seems disinterested in this aspect of his game which may have something to do with the lack of calls he gets when going to the hoop.

He is still young and has a place on the team...maybe not as a so called #1 option, but he has future here.

Dishing out some love...and droppin dimes

"If I was in the parking lot I'd jack him up"
    - Jack Armstrong

vCash
    He's gotten a bit better...But not by a lot.

I love the kids determination and work ethic - but aside from that there's not much else to love really. He's not difficult to guard 1 on 1, his defense is average to below average, he can't hit a three and for every good decision he makes he will equally make three bad ones.

And people will say "he's a great athlete" etc. but so are dozens of other NBA players now and before who are noticeably more talented.

vCash
    I think the only thing you can really say is that his offensive repertoire has become a bit more versatile. The D CAN be there when he puts his mind to it, but he really seems to slack on that end. I'm disappointed. I thought that the early season stretch was a marker of true improvement, but even when I looked at the numbers then, they were only marginally better than career norms. Now he's fallen back to career norms and I'm far from shocked.

vCash
    Other people from the Raptors keep saying he is "explosive", but I fail to see this in any aspect of his game. I wonder if it is because of the way he wears his shoes....dude is one of those guys that wears them basically as if they weren't tied at all they are so loose. I can't help but think that affects his ability to plant and change directions.

I find his game "soft". He has become ultra dependent on his mid range jump shot. Sure he has become very good at knocking down open looks, but not very often does he come off screens and use the separation from his man to take the ball all the way to the basket. He does it occasionally, but he doesn't challenge shot blockers very often.

If you are a SG who isn't going to knock down 3's, then to be elite you have to be able to take the ball to the basket with authority and finish. The only way he seems to be able to get his own shot off is a step back jumper if a defender is actually standing in front of him. Even when he takes the ball in the post he relies on turn around fade away jumpers.

For him to take the next step, I think he needs to try to get to the FT line 10+ times a game. ..and yes I know that is about twice as frequently as he currently does. The way he can get off the ground (when he wants to), there is no reason why he can't attack aggressively. It almost seems like he is conserving energy in order to be able to play 40 mpg...

The most frustrating thing is that he never tries to chase people down and pin them or block their shots when we turn the ball over. He just jogs down and lets them have a layup. He is never in foul trouble, so it wouldn't hurt to see him show some more toughness and foul someone hard if he can't block the shot. If Alan Anderson can do it, there is no effing reason why he can't do the same.

vCash
    i think hes improved alot his rookie year he was extremely raw he needs to work on his defense and 3 point shooting if he wants to be a real starter imo.

vCash
    He's better but he's not consistent and fades when he doesn't get the calls. He puts up silent stats. I don't notice him taking over the game. He really needs to demand the ball and assert himself in the latter stages of the game.

vCash
    He's becoming a better two-way player this season IMO. He's improved the most in his ability to defend his position. According to 82games.com he has a net positive PER rating vs. his opposition. In other words, he outplays his opposing matchup on average. The team's defensive statistics are better with him on the court as opposed to off. He's starting to put up good rebounding numbers for a SG as well.

The part where he struggles is offence and I think that is where the least amount of progress has been made. He still struggles from the same afflictions as last season although it doesn't help that the Refs swallow their whistle every time he goes to the tin. With that said he's still young and developing. I hope to see a jump in offensive efficiency next season.

http://www.82games.com/1213/12TOR5.HTM
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    The team's defensive stats are better with him on the court but have we considered the fact that Ed/Amir and Fields(Pietrus/AA) who are better defenders were with him now when he is on the court as opposed to when Bargs was still playing.

I thought he has improved his mid range shot(from 42%'fg last season to 43% this season) but that's about it. Rebounds (4.5rpg) but still has to improve.

Otherwise...

1. His defense is still not consistent. With his leaping ability, I would expect him to block more shots. (0.3 BPG)
    2. Handles has not improved and he is more predictable than ever, exposes the ball causing defenders to strip the ball easily. The only move he does is the spin but scouts are more ready than ever and know when to bring the double team to him, disabling him to make that spin causing a turnover.
    3. His long range shot is still piss poor.(27%3pt Fg)
    4. He can not take over games. He is not clutch. He defers too much to the point guard and when push comes to shove, he forces himself causing a TO.
    5. His court awareness is nil to none, APG is below average (1.8 APG).

Is he the future SG that can lead this team to contention. That is the question that I always struggle to answer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddler The Gr8 View Post
    Alot of talk in here lately has been about the PG's, so let's look at the guy that we've hoped to become our "franchise player".

I personally feel that he's still the same player that he's been the past 3 years and the numbers back it up. He's still a guy who's pretty good at drawing contact and getting to the line, is a solid mid-range game when he's 'feeling it', but is a poor 3pt shooter, still struggles to get his shot off at times, and isn't a playmaker. This year he does seem more confident to me, and looks to be more of a leader. But production wise he hasn't improved at all in the past 3 years.

per game:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pi/shareit/iqZlu

advanced:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/pi/shareit/qG75p

so what do you make of Derozan so far as a Raptor and what do you think his future is? do you see his career being status quo? or do you still see alot of potential in this guy? Because I'm leaning toward the former.

**I tried posting the charts from the links but I failed on that **** miserably....so if anyone knows how to do that it'd be appreciated.**
    While he's putting up similar numbers, his shot has actually improved.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...shooting/2013/
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...shooting/2012/

If he keeps continuing to improve his game, he could be a decent player 2-3 years down the line.

I'm more excited about Terrance Ross though.

vCash
    I thought he went up a gear at the start of the season, but it seems like he's gone bake to neutral.
    Last edited by Tmath; 01-18-2013 at 03:58 PM.

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
    While he's putting up similar numbers, his shot has actually improved.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...shooting/2013/
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/...shooting/2012/

If he keeps continuing to improve his game, he could be a decent player 2-3 years down the line.

I'm more excited about Terrance Ross though.
    I admitted that his mid-range improved (which come on...it better have if you've been in the league 4 years) but nothing else really has

vCash
    His d is still lacking and i doubt his court vision sometimes but he definitely has a few weapons on offense from the mid range to driving. All we can hope for is he continues to improve

vCash
    Decent amount.

But he's quickly mimicking last year's play even though he started the season well.
    Last edited by Raps08-09 Champ; 01-18-2013 at 05:01 PM.

vCash
    this much (holds thumb and index finger close together)
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast