Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedajewler View Post
    It's a sad time we live in when people don't wanna play for their country
    I understand where you are coming from, but I still don't view the WBC as all that important. Obviously, the World Cup and the Olympics are different. That carries so much country pride it is ridiculous.

The WBC doesn't have that affect on many people, at least not that I have heard of.

Country pride is an amazing thing to have, but I don't think the WBC is on that level yet.

The players want to play in the MLB. That is the highest level. They don't want to disrupt the off season workouts they've been doing since they were in college. They don't want to get hurt.

vCash
    I read that a Japanese NPB league team could compete in the NL. Not necessarily for the division title, but they could hold their own. In the AL they would be overmatched.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fired-Up View Post
    I read that a Japanese NPB league team could compete in the NL. Not necessarily for the division title, but they could hold their own. In the AL they would be overmatched.
    I don't buy that at all

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HickCaesar View Post
    I don't buy that at all
    Well they keep beating us.

vCash
    Well they keep beating us.
    Their national team beating us one or two games during some random tournament that we don't care about means nothing. I mean Dice-K is one of the best Japanese pitchers of all time and has owned the USA in the WBC twice, but he's not exactly a top-tier pitcher over here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rkelly7 View Post
    I understand where you are coming from, but I still don't view the WBC as all that important. Obviously, the World Cup and the Olympics are different. That carries so much country pride it is ridiculous.

The WBC doesn't have that affect on many people, at least not that I have heard of.

Country pride is an amazing thing to have, but I don't think the WBC is on that level yet.

The players want to play in the MLB. That is the highest level. They don't want to disrupt the off season workouts they've been doing since they were in college. They don't want to get hurt.
    A couple more world baseball classics and it will be

vCash
    I don't get this whole not permitting, and I don't want my players involved and blah blah.

National team is above and beyond any other team. You're playing for your country. I understand the concern of injury and all that, but it is a risk you take. It should be left up the player/national team as to who plays. If you get the call to the national team, it should be mandatory unless its a family emergency or something like that.

I don't understand the hate with international play. If Trout got the call to go play for Team USA, he should have to report. But oh well, just my opinion. I guess I just kind of see it like the World Cup (on a smaller scale of course)
    New York Yankees
    FC Bayern Munchen

Bundesliga: Wins- 25 / Draw- 3 / Loss- 2
    DFB-Pokal-Wins- 5 / Loss- 0 Finals vs Borussia Dortmund
    Champions League- Semi-Finals vs. Real Madrid.

1st Leg- April 23rd in Madrid.
    2nd Leg- April 29th in Munich.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rkelly7 View Post

Maybe not in America (which they seem to never get national support outside of Olympics), but other countries sure as hell see it as important. Countries like Venezuela and the Dominican Republic don't get the benefit of playing in national tournaments often such as World Cup, Basketball, etc. Baseball is the one time they have a real shot at being the best national team in a sport. So I'm sure it matters to quite a few people.
    New York Yankees
    FC Bayern Munchen

Bundesliga: Wins- 25 / Draw- 3 / Loss- 2
    DFB-Pokal-Wins- 5 / Loss- 0 Finals vs Borussia Dortmund
    Champions League- Semi-Finals vs. Real Madrid.

1st Leg- April 23rd in Madrid.
    2nd Leg- April 29th in Munich.

vCash
    1. Jimmy Rollins SS
    2. Adam Jones CF

Rollins has generated enough runs for the Phillies to have this top of the lineup experience.
    Jones is an amazing 2 hole hitter, supported by monster behind him. He will get pitches to crush here.

3. Ryan Braun LF
    4. Giancarlo Stanton DH

Your best two hitters batting back to back. 2011 MVP winner and Mammoth Homerun power. Scary 3-4 combo

5. David Wright 3B
    6. Mark Teixeira 1B

Both of New York's corner infield mainstays and both former team USA members.
    Wright and Teixeira are gentleman of this game and fantastic USA representatives.
    Teixeira switch hit abilities and defense at first is huge. Wright's right handed power is lethal at the 5.

7. Joe Mauer C
    8. Brandon Phillips 2B

Mauer is a contact hitting machine and in the 7th spot can get hits to jumpstart the bottom 3rd of the lineup.
    Phillips brings speed and athleticism in the 8 hole. He's a vicious swinger and can run into one occasionally

9. Shane Victorino RF

I put Victorino in the 9 hole because he turns the lineup around. Victorino and Rollins lead the Phillies to a WS Championship at the top of the order. Victorino 9 and Rollins 1 both have experience necessary to keep the lineup turning for our big time bats.

1. Jimmy Rollins SS
    2. Adam Jones CF
    3. Ryan Braun LF
    4. Giancarlo Stanton DH
    5. David Wright 3B
    6. Mark Teixeira 1B
    7. Joe Mauer C
    8. Brandon Phillips 2B
    9. Shane Victorino RF

Guys like Zobrist and Bloomquist are on the bench for their versatility and ability to play any position if needed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankees90. View Post
    I don't get this whole not permitting, and I don't want my players involved and blah blah.

National team is above and beyond any other team. You're playing for your country. I understand the concern of injury and all that, but it is a risk you take. It should be left up the player/national team as to who plays. If you get the call to the national team, it should be mandatory unless its a family emergency or something like that.

I don't understand the hate with international play. If Trout got the call to go play for Team USA, he should have to report. But oh well, just my opinion. I guess I just kind of see it like the World Cup (on a smaller scale of course)
    Teams invest millions in these players
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Not really. Personally, I'd jump at the chance of playing for the USA, but for some of these players they don't look at the WBC like the World Cup or the Olympics. If it gains more popularity, then I'm sure you'd see more of the top players wanting to play. But it hasn't gained that much notoriety. They'd rather get ready for the regular season where it matters more to them. They'd rather not risk injury, go through their normal routines instead of play in the WBC. And I'm sure some of their employers don't want them to play because of some of the reasons I listed in the previous sentence.

I find that hard to believe. A good amount of their top, All-Star players have made the jump to the MLB and have been busts. Where'd you see the article?

Shailene Woodley

vCash
    Not really. The players know theres a bigger prize available to them, the WS, and they would rather be ready for the season than waste their time

vCash
    LOL, is Jason Bay on team Canada? Not even his own country wants him hes so bad!!!

TATAR SAUCE

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    LOL, is Jason Bay on team Canada? Not even his own country wants him hes so bad!!!
    He didn't even get an invite IIRC. Canada produces quality players but unfortunately, not much quantity, which is what you need in this tournament. The lineup has two MVP's in it but when a guy like Ryan Dempster turns the national team down, it hurts. We have a few nice pen arms and some nice starters down the road but absolutely nothing for starting pitching right now. I'm hoping the short pitch count will help but I doubt Canada beats the U.S again.

vCash
    Wait.. Votto isn't confirmed. Or is he?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast