Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwyer View Post
    You are assuming too much.

The cynic in me says he is blowing smoke up our collective arses because he's likely been fielding questions like these since he walked into NY.

The fan in me says he likely has a plan on who he wants, but that cynic comes back with he doesn't have the leverage nor the means to get them right right now.

We already know he was looking at Upton and Wilson. So right there...we see he does look at MLB players. But we also know that any deal for Upton starts with Wheeler. (That was his first acquisition...highly unlikely he unloads him at all). So without Wheeler, there is no means of acquiring Upton (yet). As for Wilson, the injury is a concern long term (money/length of contract)...just like it was a concern to the Giants as well. It's clear teams want him. But what is cloudy is his long term health combined with his refusal to accept a minor league deal.

As for his comment about making moves in the next 3 weeks or so. That cynic in me stands up once more. Don't expect name players here. He's likely referring to 1 SP, some bullpen names, and maybe another like Cowgill. Nothing big, nothing earth-shattering. Don't expect. If you believe what he's saying go re-read the Washington comments.
    Well the problem is too is there are no big time FA's left this late into the offseason (aside from Michael Bourn) but they could still bring back a Hairston, bring in a Ryan Raburn, a Ben Francisco, or even the often injured Grady Sizemore.

They're will be options (albeit not the greatest ones) if they are looking to upgrade from now until the season starts and you would have to assume if the market isn't there, guys like that will come in on minor league deals or less expensive major league ones.

I mean there is still a 100 or so FA out there and most of them are gonna latch on somewhere. Guys that they can acquire for 1 year in the midst of their transition because they aren't ready for bigger FA acquisitions to this point.

Not to mention the guys that are cut during ST.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-18-2013 at 06:39 AM.

vCash
    We're years away from Washington, even according to SA, so you can forget 2014 being the panacea people think it is right now.

It will not be long before the narrative starts moving towards 2015, and this is a dynamic that doesn't have to end either.

vCash
    Again, and I’m certainly not promising anything, let’s see what happens over the next three weeks before camp opens….there’s no substitute for winning, but hopefully our fans that are really very knowledgeable see what we’re doing, and hopefully recognize that we’re not dismissing 2013 by any means. But this is a path that we've got to follow.
    I read on this board complaints that Minaya didn't have a plan. But now people can't handle having a plan?

As for his comment about making moves in the next 3 weeks or so. That cynic in me stands up once more. Don't expect name players here. He's likely referring to 1 SP, some bullpen names, and maybe another like Cowgill. Nothing big, nothing earth-shattering. Don't expect. If you believe what he's saying go re-read the Washington comments.
    Correct.

If the Mets add players, the most likely scenarios are Hairston and Young. Someone could shake loose during ST, but unless the Mets were willing to deal Wheeler or d'Arnaud, it likely wouldn't be a player of impact.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-18-2013 at 06:36 AM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    I read on this board complaints that Minaya didn't have a plan. But now people can't handle having a plan?
    NY is not a patient city.

We aren't looking to be like the Tampa Rays where we continually stockpile high draft picks until we win.

Plans to build around younger talent is fine as we rebuild but adding significant payroll at some point has to be part of the plan too.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-18-2013 at 06:38 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Mcfly View Post
    I don't hang on his every word, but I can see thru his nonsense, and far more importantly I can see that for all his talk he has not improved the team 1 iota.

Six months, two absolutely gaping chasms on the team, not a scrap of help for either.
    Nah, I am just messing with ya...I go into this every season with the same mind set. Don't believe everything you hear and don't lose perspective with every word you read. All too often, the NY market gets excited over little nonsensical things.

Rumors, opinions...lies.

This interview for example. Doesn't mean anything. We already know he's not going to tell us anything earth shattering. So why expect it? He's not going to give us names of players he's targeting. So why expect it? And since it is Fatcesa (even though he's a Met-hater), WFAN has a good long standing relationship with the Mets...so why expect anything other than softball questions?

I always go in with no expectations...I wait to see what pans out in the off season. I always have my hopes. Certain players here and there. But since 2010, it has been quite obvious...for whatever the real reason...money is not going to be spent largely on FA's. It doesn't matter why...it just isn't. So going into any off-season believing that is going to change (without a proper core in place) is setting yourself up for disappointment. So for me, it comes down to an attempt to understand what the ultimate goal is. We are so used to retooling in NY that this is what we expect. We are so used to wanting instant gratification, we want everything fast. Even if we are told to our faces differently.

I won't truly take anyone at there word, but expecting this team to start adding major pieces at the cost of others is premature. Yes there are 2 major problems this team needs to address. OF and Bullpen. It has been quite obvious that both were attempted to be addressed with Upton and Wilson. But I do believe they are no longer viable options as of right now. So yes those 2 needs are still on the table. Just like I will not believe everything I hear from SA. I certainly will not follow suit by saying nothing is being done. It sure seems that things have been tried, but again we are not privy to everything.

But what it boils down to is this. Results matter. Do, or do not...there is no try.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    NY is not a patient city.

We aren't looking to be like the Tampa Rays where we continually stockpile high draft picks until we win.

Plans to build around younger talent is fine but adding significant payroll at some point has to be part of the plan too.
    Eventually, yes. However, winning probably precludes spending since winning = revenue. Alderson does have a challenge in front of him. What he isn't doing however is making panic moves in order to win now. Clearly ownership and management are committed to building a sustainable product. Mets fans should feel encouraged, and if they want to stay home during this process -- that's their prerogative.

The right players have to become available as well. When Keith Hernandez popped up on the radar, Cashen dealt Allen and Ownbey. When the system became deep, deals for Carter, Ojeda, et al were made.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 01-18-2013 at 06:43 AM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    But what it boils down to is this. Results matter. Do, or do not...there is no try.
    That's not realistic. And it's actually a flawed philosophy. Someone who "fails" repeatedly may give up prematurely rather than learning persistence pays off.

vCash
    Nah, I am just messing with ya...I go into this every season with the same mind set. Don't believe everything you hear and don't lose perspective with every word you read. All too often, the NY market gets excited over little nonsensical things.

Rumors, opinions...lies.

This interview for example. Doesn't mean anything. We already know he's not going to tell us anything earth shattering. So why expect it? He's not going to give us names of players he's targeting. So why expect it? And since it is Fatcesa (even though he's a Met-hater), WFAN has a good long standing relationship with the Mets...so why expect anything other than softball questions?

I always go in with no expectations...I wait to see what pans out in the off season. I always have my hopes. Certain players here and there. But since 2010, it has been quite obvious...for whatever the real reason...money is not going to be spent largely on FA's. It doesn't matter why...it just isn't. So going into any off-season believing that is going to change (without a proper core in place) is setting yourself up for disappointment. So for me, it comes down to an attempt to understand what the ultimate goal is. We are so used to retooling in NY that this is what we expect. We are so used to wanting instant gratification, we want everything fast. Even if we are told to our faces differently.

I won't truly take anyone at there word, but expecting this team to start adding major pieces at the cost of others is premature. Yes there are 2 major problems this team needs to address. OF and Bullpen. It has been quite obvious that both were attempted to be addressed with Upton and Wilson. But I do believe they are no longer viable options as of right now. So yes those 2 needs are still on the table. Just like I will not believe everything I hear from SA. I certainly will not follow suit by saying nothing is being done. It sure seems that things have been tried, but again we are not privy to everything.

I am perfectly aware of the PR game. I have been watching a top class exponent of it for three years, he can talk as much yap yap yap as he likes if the team gets better, if he makes improvements etc - but it doesn't. He talks about the OF and pen as if he's powerless to act, as if he's held hostage. He isn't.

You're right - it's about results, and he's failing. Refusing to sign players that will inhibit the future, I get, after an $80M drop in payroll and he still won't improve the team with guys like SH, Marcum, BP arms etc, that's unacceptable.

To me, all that is happening here is a movable feast of excuses for not spending money, the clues were there in the deferrals. The 'payroll' excuse isn't credible any more, so he's needing to find new ones. We're @ $59M. we won 74 games, we have the worst OF and BP in the league - and NOTHING.

As time goes on, I get more convinced that they necessary money isn't going to be there, which has been my contention all along. I have never bought the rebuild, other than as the residue of a huge downsizing, $142M to $100M and probably down to >>>$90M this year, possibly even lower in 2014.

Keep calling every player too expensive when we're almost at the barrel scraping end of the FA market isn't fooling me Spindy!!!
    Last edited by Marty Mcfly; 01-18-2013 at 06:54 AM.

vCash
    That's not realistic. And it's actually a flawed philosophy. Someone who "fails" repeatedly may give up prematurely rather than learning persistence pays off.
    In reality yes...you are correct...but this is NY. Home of instant gratification. A trade for Upton and signing Wilson both initially failed for different reasons. While there is an attempt in place to fill the 2 major needs on the team, you still get no brownie points here by saying to the fans, "well we tried." Again, I am not saying go out and trade Wheeler and anything for name players. But in this city, results do matter more than the attempt.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Keep calling every player too expensive when we're almost at the barrel scraping end of the FA market isn't fooling me Spindy!!!
    I would tend to say the "every player is too expensive" has been used since Phillips was GM. It's sort of the Wilpon's annual motto...lol. I have always felt that players salaries are not going backwards. For the Wilpon's to annually expect this, and be "surprised" every year at how expensive "tier B" FA are is laughable.
    Last edited by wdwyer; 01-18-2013 at 06:57 AM.

THANK YOU PROKY!!!

vCash
    Results>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Excuses.

vCash
    Eventually, yes. However, winning probably precludes spending since winning = revenue. Alderson does have a challenge in front of him. What he isn't doing however is making panic moves in order to win now. Clearly ownership and management are committed to building a sustainable product. Mets fans should feel encouraged, and if they want to stay home during this process -- that's their prerogative.

The right players have to become available as well. When Keith Hernandez popped up on the radar, Cashen dealt Allen and Ownbey. When the system became deep, deals for Carter, Ojeda, et al were made.
    I give SA a lot of credit in that respect. He has improved greatly what was one a very impaired farm system and honestly if scouting is that important to the future of this team they should look into plucking scouts from Tampa, St. Louis, Texas etc etc.

Teams that have had success with minor league talent and being able to use those players as assets whether it be trade or replacing established major leaguers that are traded or leave in FA.

Obviously help can be found in later rounds and part of having that depth you are talking about is in juxtaposition with better scouting.

I think the bigger issue is that if escalating revenue precludes spending, this team is going to have a hard time competing in the near future with that philosophy.
    Last edited by metswon69; 01-18-2013 at 07:07 AM.

vCash
    I would tend to say the "every player is too expensive" has been used since Phillips. It's sort of the Wilpon's annual motto...lol.
    They've taken it to a ridiculous level now.

vCash
    It's not the 1980s, what Cashen did 30 yeas ago has absolutely no relevance whatsoever to what is happening today, yet people cling to it like a life raft.

vCash
    3 years in and currently a payroll drop from a high point of $142M down to today's figure of $59M, a
    I don't know where you get 59 million from..

http://realdirtymets.com/2012/12/11/...rosterpayroll/

And that doesn't include the buyout for Santana which is included in the 2013 budget so it's closer to 80 million committed to 2013.

Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast