Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to tank?

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    ^
    That's a fluke. It can happen obviously.. but the chances of that happening again are slim to none. Even if by fluke you miss the 1st overall you still sit with a beauty pick. This is a stacked draft in the top 8-10.
    Just like how the odds of a top pick not turning into a bust due to the impact of advanced scouting

vCash
    Pretty much.

vCash
    The format has changed but like I said, you really don't have a shot at the top pick if you aren't near the bottom of the standings. The odds of moving up are roughly the same which is, IIRC, about 18% if you're last and under 1% if you're 14th.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Let the Leafs tank first and then we can argue percentages. They will probably do better than expected now that there is no pressure on them. 10 place finish here we come aarrrggghhhh!!!!

vCash
    How much money they do nothing out of the gate and with 10 games to go they blow their top 5 pick. Boyd Devereaux all over again.

vCash
    I'm sure we'll be bad but I'm not rooting for it... At least not right now. I at least want to see a few meaningful games.

vCash
    Now is the perfect time to tank. We can do a proper rebuild and all it takes is properly tanking during a shortened season.

At the deadline we need to trade:

Lupul for a late 1st
    MacArthur for a mid-late 2nd
    Komisarek for a 3rd (we hold onto half his salary for next year but none of the cap hit)
    Bozak for a mid-late 2nd
    Liles for a mid-late 2nd

Finish dead last and hopefully get the top pick and draft Nathan MacKinnon.

Sign both Corey Perry and Ryan Getzlaf

Grabovski - Getzlaf - Perry
    Van Reimsdyk - MacKinnon - Kessel
    Kulemin - Kadri - Frattin
    Ashton - McClement - Brown

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
    Gardiner - Riley
    Franson - Blacker
    Holzner

Reimer - Scrivens

If at this point the goalies haven't proven themselves we could make a huge run at Tuuka Rask who's an RFA. He'd cost a ton in picks and cash but with a team this good and young we could afford overpaying for a young superstar goalie as the final piece to the puzzle.

vCash
    I can't be in favour of tanking before the season starts.

I board tank nation once the playoffs are realistically out of reach.

In this type of season, we could easily get hot and make the playoffs which is not a bad thing.

I can't root for failure as a fan before the games are even played.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DiPasquale7 View Post
    Now is the perfect time to tank. We can do a proper rebuild and all it takes is properly tanking during a shortened season.

Lupul for a late 1st
    Komisarek for a 3rd (we hold onto half his salary for next year but none of the cap hit)
    Bozak for a mid-late 2nd
    Liles for a mid-late 2nd

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
    Gardiner - Riley
    Franson - Blacker
    Holzner

Reimer - Scrivens

If at this point the goalies haven't proven themselves we could make a huge run at Tuuka Rask who's an RFA. He'd cost a ton in picks and cash but with a team this good and young we could afford overpaying for a young superstar goalie as the final piece to the puzzle.
    If only it were that easy. A few issues with it, though:

1) Why are Perry and Getzlaf leaving Anaheim for a less favorable situation?
    2) Who wants to give value For Komisarek?
    3) Who's giving up a 2nd for Bozak?
    4) Why would Rask leave Boston for a less favorable situation?

It's unlikely ANY team goes into a season with that little veterans on the 2-4th lines. That may be the youngest team in NHL history..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Seguin View Post
    If only it were that easy. A few issues with it, though:

1) Why are Perry and Getzlaf leaving Anaheim for a less favorable situation?
    2) Who wants to give value For Komisarek?
    3) Who's giving up a 2nd for Bozak?
    4) Why would Rask leave Boston for a less favorable situation?

It's unlikely ANY team goes into a season with that little veterans on the 2-4th lines. That may be the youngest team in NHL history..
    1) Money and lots of it. Not to mention this team would be ridiculous on paper and that would probably intrigue them. Not to mention Anaheim isn't very good themselves... It's not like they'd be leaving Detroit. It'd probably be perceived as a lateral move with big upside and a big pay check.
    2) A team that needs to get to the floor but doesn't have a lot of money. It would actually be a good contract for them. They pay him $2.5 million but get a cap hit of $5 million. It saves them $2.5 million they'd have to spend elsewhere just to hit the floor. Maybe it's a 4th or a 5th and not a 3rd but I think you could get someone to take it.
    3) A team in contention may be willing to part with a late 2nd for a 50 point center who plays well on both ends of the ice. He has a really low cap hit and could be nice depth for a team making a playoff push.
    4) Money and lots of it.

I like the fact it's young. It's young and has no dead weight. Let the young core grow together for the next decade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DiPasquale7 View Post

Lupul for a late 1st
    Bozak for a mid-late 2nd
    Liles for a mid-late 2nd

Phaneuf - Gunnarsson
    Gardiner - Riley
    Franson - Blacker
    Holzner

Reimer - Scrivens

This is what I want to happen. If JFJ would have done this years ago we wouldn't be in this mess. And if "Mats Idontwanttogettradedbutillsignwiththecanucks Sundin" wouldn't have been such a ***** it would have helped!
    Eat Lobster

vCash
    Komisarek has no value even at 2.5m. It's negative value, either buy out or deal him with picks, which won't happen, or he's with Toronto most likely.

Every big market team has the same budget, essentially. Anaheim has no reason to not match an offer, and Perry/Getz have no incentive to leave. Everything you liste makes sense for Toronto but no one elae

vCash
    ^Komisarek will be bought out, truth is i am pretty excited to see how he responds to this being an unofficial contract year for him.

Not saying that Perry and Getzlaf are destined to leave ANA but that team has bleak future (we do as well) and i don't think they'd continue to stay there unless Murray makes a few moves to improve the team. I think the chances they come here are very slim, but i can see one or both leaving to a team like Detriot.

vCash
    I think Toronto should be more interested in drafting Jones than Mackinnon. Kidd is unreal don't get me wrong and wouldn't turn him away. But picture 3 years down the road our first pairing is Jones and Reilly! With Phaneuf and Gardiner being the second pairing, Gunner and Franson, Blacker or Holzer to round it out. However the pairings work out best, our D would be among the best in the league. The way he is playing, probably be ready next season as well, I think Jones is one of those players that only comes around every 4-5 years. I know it doesn't address a top centerman need... if the rebuild takes a few years, there's always the prospect of Connor Mcdavid in 2015.

vCash
    Jones finished ahead of MacKinnon in the latest rankings but I'd bet a good chunk of change that over 1/2 of the teams in the league would take MacKinnon. If a team like the Oilers pick 1st you know they'll take Jones. If we pick first we'd be absolute idiots to not take MacKinnon. There's the #1 center we've been crying and *****ing for since Mats Farvre left. #1 centres don't become avaliable via trade or FA very often. I wouldn't anticipate Getzlaf coming here either so I wouldn't plan anything I do around that dream. I think Jones and MacKinnon are neck and neck and any team picking first will pick by position. We've got so many talented young D men that have yet to play yet our situation at centre is amongst the worst in the league.

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast