Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Time to tank?

vCash

Time to tank?

This started in another thread but I think it deserves it's own thread-
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    So is this Nonis going into full tank mode? not getting Luongo(assuming), getting rid of two vets in Lombo and Connolly to replace them with guys who are barely old enough to drink south of the border.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    I'm on board..woot woot
    Quote Originally Posted by SirMichael View Post
    I don't really think subtracting Lombo and Connolly and adding Kadri and Komarov lets say, makes this team any worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    ^
    It probably makes us better. But we sure as hell won't be any worse off.
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    Penner worked off ice today and took care of a family matter, he will be back tomorrow. On his twitter page he describes himself as a pancake aficionado lmao at least he has a sense of humour about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    Yes but when you replace vets with young players, the growing pains come along with it. That's the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    I sure as hell know I can handle the growing pains as long as we do it the right way. The quick fix with Kessel and Komisarek, Beauchemin signings plus the Giguere trade were supposed to put us right there and we still stunk. That was real pain. Here's a good article Lebrun did when he had a sit down with Nonis. It looks like Luongo's out of the question and we're going to have to be patient.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/preview2012/s...king-make-mark
    Who would be prepared to see a bad team for a year or two? stop winnin' for MacKinnon?

vCash
    Stop winnin' for Seth Jones or... and of the next 9 in that draft. I don't care who we get as long as we pick in that range.

vCash
    I don't know what to think anymore. I fully expected Burke to do it the right way and we all know what happened there. My question to yours is "is Nonis the guy to do a full rebuild?"

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    I hope Nonis is smart enough to realize where Burke went wrong. The fans will be patient if a full re-build is the plan. I think it can be sped up if the right free agents are added this summer, plus a top 5 pick, a proven goalie, 2 defensive d-men, Grabovski and Komi bought out. Draft a centerman in the first round and a goalie in the late first or 2nd. Between now and then, start to accumulate as many picks in the 2013 draft as possible. Mac, Connolly, Lupul and anyone else available (even Kessel).

vCash
    You need patience for a rebuild. If there's one thing Nonis is very well known for it's his patience. He wants to stay out of the newspapers and off of TV screens. He's a quiet guy who keeps his cards held tight to his vest. Never tips his hand. He's a good guy to start a rebuild with atleast I think. 5 years from now he may not still be here and another guy may be brought in to put the finishing touches on what he's started. But if his start with the team is any indication of what's to come then we may finally go down the road of adding significant and hopefully franchise peices through the draft. I believe we have alot of good support players in the making already drafted. We've got 1 real high end prospect in Rielly. 2/3/4 more peices like him would go a long way in adding to those support players who should start showing up in the next year or 2.

To add to that. If we can add these peices in a year or two or three and build up depth the you can take a hard look at the team and make some decisions towards adding key peices through trade or through FA. You'll have depth as a position of power at that point when it comes to making trades and you should be on the cusp of being an attractive team to FA's. It's a process. But when it all comes together it's worth it. I wanna be legitimate Cup contender for a decade or more and hopefully win it once. I'm so sick of quick fixes setting us back.
    Last edited by KingerSox; 01-17-2013 at 05:52 PM.

vCash
    I am fine with sucking this year and if we get a monster year out of Reimer or Scrivens then thats fine too, i really want Nate the Great but i want to try and win next year, i have no intrest in waiting 2 or 3 more years.

vCash
    With the new lottery format, tanking doesn't necessarily get you the top pick anymore. Look at the Raptors a few years ago. Different sport but now any of the non playoff teams can get it.

vCash
    But you still get a better chance at it. tank baby, tank

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    With the new lottery format, tanking doesn't necessarily get you the top pick anymore. Look at the Raptors a few years ago. Different sport but now any of the non playoff teams can get it.
    Look at the statistical odds. Outside of the worst teams, you really have no shot at getting the top pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TRIUMPHATOR View Post
    I don't know what to think anymore. I fully expected Burke to do it the right way and we all know what happened there. My question to yours is "is Nonis the guy to do a full rebuild?"
    Why does that make sense. MacKinnon should be their focus entirely.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Don't be so sure, New Jersey had the 9th overall pick and won the lottery. They moved up 5 spots to pick Larsson at #4

vCash
    ^
    That's a fluke. It can happen obviously.. but the chances of that happening again are slim to none. Even if by fluke you miss the 1st overall you still sit with a beauty pick. This is a stacked draft in the top 8-10.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JaysLeafs98 View Post
    Don't be so sure, New Jersey had the 9th overall pick and won the lottery. They moved up 5 spots to pick Larsson at #4
    And how often does this happen?

vCash
    The whole format is changing I think...if u finish out of the playoffs you can win the lottery for the first overall pick

vCash
    Every team outside of the playoffs does have a shot at 1st overall. But obviously the teams that finish 30th,29th ect. are going to have a much better chance than the teams that finish 17th, 18th ect.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast