Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    i think Johnny Cash for sure was a rock star. I would add Bob Dylan too.

vCash
    How is Mick Jagger not on the list?
    "It's already over. All hopes aside and being only realistic. The Giants won't make the post season with the Dodgers and the Rockies in the same division."
    -rarryronds (06/03/2010 - on the Giants 2010 season)

"Stephen Curry is not a point guard"
    -asandhu23 (May 5, 2011)

vCash
    There's definitely rock stars, you just have to look for them. Although, that kind of makes them not a star. So I don't know.

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    It's def over due. Rock music desperately needs a Rock Star to emerge. Take some of the focus off of hip-hop

vCash
    I just can't see it happening with the way music is evolving.

The PSD's Official Steve Nash Support Crew, Members: R4L

vCash
    Bieber's a rock star, right?
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Rock isn't what it used to be.

Artists nowadays aren't just rock stars anymore, they take the pop route. That's why most rock stars aren't primarily noticed, and will never reach the pinnacle that we experienced in the 90's.

Those bands like The Who, The Ramones, and the Clash will never be duplicated. Those are the smaller rock stars, and we will never see those kind of bands/rockstars, and especially the Lennons/Cobains.

vCash
    Nickelback

vCash
    Kanye West most recently.

Also, your criteria for rock star is a little strick there buddy. A pop star IS a rock star. Rock is popular music dude. Most popular music is rock.

By your own definition, Morrison wouldn't be a rock star. The mystique of morrison grew exponentially after his death, but he wasn't this huge cultural icon at the time of his death like elvis or lennon. This is like the rock star in retrospect thread. Morrison is definitely a rock star, just saying you need to loosen up your definition. Also, if you are going to include Cobain you should probably include Robert Smith and Billy Corgan.

You also left out David Bowie, Michael Jackson, Frank Sinatra, Elton John, and Mick Jagger (!!!!!!!!!!!).

vCash
    Yeah, I really don't understand how Mick Jagger was left off. He's basically the definition.

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    Eddie Vedder, Michael Stipe to name some others that definitely seem to fit the bill of rock stars.

Sig Provided by LeoGetz25

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoodedSashSB View Post
    Kanye West most recently.

Also, your criteria for rock star is a little strick there buddy. A pop star IS a rock star. Rock is popular music dude. Most popular music is rock.

By your own definition, Morrison wouldn't be a rock star. The mystique of morrison grew exponentially after his death, but he wasn't this huge cultural icon at the time of his death like elvis or lennon. This is like the rock star in retrospect thread. Morrison is definitely a rock star, just saying you need to loosen up your definition. Also, if you are going to include Cobain you should probably include Robert Smith and Billy Corgan.

You also left out David Bowie, Michael Jackson, Frank Sinatra, Elton John, and Mick Jagger (!!!!!!!!!!!).
    How the **** can Kanye West be a Rock Star.

Seriously he's a ****ing Hip Hip star.
    THE QUESTION WAS WITH THE ADVANCEMENT OF MUSIC NOWADAYS WILL WE SEE ANOTHER ROCK STAR.

Not <insert giant star from different genre here> is a total rockstar.

Quote Originally Posted by Fired-Up View Post
    What is a rockstar? Well I'd say it's someone who plays rock music.
    first lines of thread.
    Nobody ****s with the Gustav

15 GA / 8 G / 3 A
    Adopt a Packers \/ Davante Adams and Sammy Shields

Davante Adams - 25 Rec, 273 Yards, 2 TD

Sam Shields- 18 Tackles, 2 INTs, 7 PassD

vCash
    Eddie vedder? Bono? Chris Cornell? Billy Corgan? Steven Tyler? Dave Matthews? Billie Joe Armstrong? John Mayer?

Maybe theyre not all bonafide rock stars but im not really sure how you can leave a few of these off. Hell, bono and eddie vedder are two of the most copied vocalists of all time

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post

THE QUESTION WAS WITH THE ADVANCEMENT OF MUSIC NOWADAYS WILL WE SEE ANOTHER ROCK STAR.

first lines of thread.
    I don't like his definition of rockstar. So there. I think pop star/rock star/hip hop star are essentially the same thing, and what qualifies you is being widely accepted as a musical icon. Maybe that's not what he's asking but whatever.
    Last edited by HoodedSB; 02-02-2013 at 04:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post

first lines of thread.
    First lines of the thread:

What is a rockstar? Well I'd say it's someone who plays rock music. Someone who completely changes what pop music can be. Remember, being a rockstar means you have to be mainstream and commercial. You can't just be a star in the rock community. You have to permeate general society.
    If a rockstar has to play "rock music", then no, he's not. I get why people can't get passed that criteria, and I think it's 150% fair. I just think that a guy like Kanye, in a modernized and looser way of the phrase. But Kanye fits the mold of a "rockstar" better than most anyone I can think of, aside from the "rock" part, obviously.

There probably aren't any current "rock" musicians that fit his criteria perfectly anymore after that first sentence. I can't think of any modern ones that permeate into the mainstream and pop culture. Few, if any, have the celebrity or cultural impact that rock stars once had, or that Kanye has. I can't think of a current ROCK star that has half the star power that Kanye has.

It the most traditional sense of the word: no, Kanye is not a rock star.

In a modernized sense of the phrase I think he is.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast