Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Will there ever be another rock star?

What is a rockstar? Well I'd say it's someone who plays rock music. Someone who completely changes what pop music can be. Remember, being a rockstar means you have to be mainstream and commercial. You can't just be a star in the rock community. You have to permeate general society. The rock star isn't an accessory for fun with your friends. You go to see Robert Plant because he's that fricking good. So good that you'd go and watch him live by yourself for hundreds of dollars because their music is the main course, not chilling with the boys with music there too. When you go to see Weezer or Jimi Eat World you do it because you wanna chill with your friends with live music. Not really because they are rockstars.

It's not easy being a rockstar. By my count there are only 7 bona fide rock stars in history. Elvis, Lennon, McCartney, Morrison, Hendrix, Plant and Cobain.

By Decade
    50s- 1
    60s- 4
    70s- 1
    80s- 0
    90s- 1
    00s- 0

It's not like they were common ever. Hell the whole 80s was about being a rockstar and there wasn't a single rock star. But you better believe it was easier for Cobain to be a rockstar when rock was still the most popular form of music. Today it is rap/pop. But honestly, there isn't a single music star in the whole world. Michael Jackson and Mariah Carey have been pop stars. Today there isn't a single unavoidable force in the music world that nationally is just transcendent.

I think this all started around 1996 in a transitional period when technology started taking the throne from music as the dominant force in youth culture. By 2003 I remember music was an afterthought to the new gadget. The transformation was complete.

Kids don't grow up bumping rock music anymore. Really the last truly great rock band was the Smashing Pumpkins who released the last truly great rock album in 1995. But Corgan wasn't a rockstar. Sure his band was huge, but he was never as big as the 7 rockstars I mentioned.

Today, prime Corgan would be the biggest rockstar by a mile and yet he wasn't even a bona fide rockstar.

I fear that not only are we never going to have another rockstar. I feel like there will never be another music star, no matter the genre.

Thoughts?

vCash
    I think Jack White is a rockstar.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fly View Post
    I think Jack White is a rockstar.
    Flash back 5 years ago. Walk into a high school and ask people who is Jack White? Most/many of them don't know. Walk into a high school in the early-mid 90s and ask the kids who is Kurt Cobain? They all know.

vCash
    I think you definitely left a couple off your list. Ozzy was well know, mainstream and changed rock musoc. Him and Lemmy of Motorhead. Id argue Iggy Pop as well. The latter two were very influential in the creation of punk music, with Raw Power being viewed as one of the first punk al year, bums ever. They all had huge influence and changed music. After seeing Iggy last I'd say the guy is definitely a rock star. The boys from Metallica, especially Cliff, were definitely rock stars too. Mainstream(although no musoc videos until One), well known and very influential. Also Buddy Holly and Hank Sr.

I also dont someone has to be a glorified rock star to be a rock star. Some simply choose not to be and have as much an influence as some of the more well known. Guys like Jello Biafara,Johnny Rotten amd Sid Vicious.

Also using todays high schools would be terrible. Most kids listen to **** like three days grace and godsmack.

vCash
    The lack of Syd Barret and Roger Waters on this list is disturbing

vCash
    Not that I'm really even a fan of U2, but what about Bono?

vCash
    ^ or Dave Grohl or Chris Cornell, too.
    2014 Adopt-a-Packer: Micah Hyde

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sexicano31 View Post
    The lack of Syd Barret and Roger Waters on this list is disturbing
    Agreed. You can add Johnny Cash to that list too

vCash
    Yeah Johnny Cash for sure was a rock star. I would add Bob Dylan too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Atticus Finch View Post
    Agreed. You can add Johnny Cash to that list too
    Damn I dont know how I forgot Cash. Definitely one of the biggest rock stars ever. Hes also one of the first punk artist in my mind. May not have played punk music, but he definitely had that attitude and is a big influence to some in the genre and huge among those in that scene.

vCash
    i really like this thread. i like the list, though i like the three mentioned left off of it too lol my opinion is no, with the emergence of electronics and autotuning and things of that nature, i dont believe there will be anyone holding a candle to this list. the closest, in my opinion is dave grohl, and a majority of his greatest work is in the 90's.

vCash
    Lil Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Trill Team

vCash
    How is Mick Jagger not on that list?

vCash
    lil Wayne

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by metsfan4ever View Post
    lil Wayne
    Just leave.
    Adopt a Packers
    SAM "Less than Tim Jennings the Nickel Corner" SHIELDS