Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    A lot of people actually do get filets and lobsters. At least at the grocery store that I worked at.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sota4Ever View Post
    A lot of people actually do get filets and lobsters. At least at the grocery store that I worked at.
    I have never seen it. The people that I know who use pubic assistance use it to buy bulk hamburger and chicken breasts so that they can make 3-4 meals with that and frozen vegetables so that a little bit of healthiness into the cheap diet.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    The people who do nothing and get what they need to survive get almost nothing more. People who have their necessities provided by the government are not living the high life. Those people survive (as you put it) on a couple dollars a day. Cory Booker did it and I think he had about four dollars a day to spend on food.

I don't get why people think that those on food stamps are eating filet and lobster while lighting their cigars with hundred dollar bills with a glass of cognac.
    Actually, you wouldn't believe the things people buy with food stamps. One of my brothers and several of my friends worked in grocery stores, some of the stories they told me about what people used their food stamps on were just astounding.

Regardless, I don't care whether they're living the high life or barely getting by. They're doing it on everyone else's tab, and I don't like it.
    On Cam Newton:

Quote Originally Posted by Norm View Post
    So it's official.

This jerk off is going to be the first QB taken in the first round (or maybe the first 5) in the modern era to throw less than 300 passes at DI level. and he might go #1 overall.

hahahahahahahahahahahaha

Nfl scouting is a joke.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by homestarunner93 View Post
    Actually, you wouldn't believe the things people buy with food stamps. One of my brothers and several of my friends worked in grocery stores, some of the stories they told me about what people used their food stamps on were just astounding.

Regardless, I don't care whether they're living the high life or barely getting by. They're doing it on everyone else's tab, and I don't like it.
    So then do you oppose food stamps all together?

vCash
    They also buy candy, frozen pizza, frozen nuggets, and cases of Big Red. WIC is restricted to healthy foods, why cant food stamps?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinnum1
    Wade will be a lot better next season now that he got knee surgery. Hate on. - 7/31/2012

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Longhornfan1234 View Post
    They also buy candy, frozen pizza, frozen nuggets, and cases of Big Red. WIC is restricted to healthy foods, why cant food stamps?
    Well WIC has much stricter restrictions. I went to the USDA website and answered one question and was told I don't qualify:

Do any of the following describe you or anyone in your household? (Check all that apply)

Your household is everyone who lives in your home (including children) and shares income and household expenses (bills, food, etc.). Your household may include people who are related to you and people who are not.
    Is pregnant
    Has had a baby (or been pregnant) within the last 6 months
    Is currently breastfeeding a baby that is less than 12 months old
    Is a baby, child or foster child under the age of 5
    None of the above

As soon as I answered (none of the above) I was told that I didn't qualify.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Well WIC has much stricter restrictions. I went to the USDA website and answered one question and was told I don't qualify:

Do any of the following describe you or anyone in your household? (Check all that apply)

Your household is everyone who lives in your home (including children) and shares income and household expenses (bills, food, etc.). Your household may include people who are related to you and people who are not.
    Is pregnant
    Has had a baby (or been pregnant) within the last 6 months
    Is currently breastfeeding a baby that is less than 12 months old
    Is a baby, child or foster child under the age of 5
    None of the above

As soon as I answered (none of the above) I was told that I didn't qualify.
    None of those describe me or my family. We need more restrictions on food stamps. They should get cards for certain types of food (rice, chicken, cheese, milk, etc.)...but only the less expensive brands that still meet the nutritional requirements can be purchased.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinnum1
    Wade will be a lot better next season now that he got knee surgery. Hate on. - 7/31/2012

vCash
    None of those describe me or my family. We need more restrictions on food stamps. They should get cards for certain types of food (rice, chicken, cheese, milk, etc.)...but only the less expensive brands that still meet the nutritional requirements can be purchased.
    Yes, lets make it more complicated and bureaucratic b/c your brother and his buddies told you that someone brought a blah once. God forbid someone buys some bootleg chicken nuggets.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    So you want the government to micromanage the diets of a significant percentage of the population because they receive government benefits? How about managing the diets of those on Medicare, too? Social Security? Those receiving government handouts through the earned income tax credit? How about farm subsidies? How about your diet? You undoubtedly get deductions, student loans, or other government largesse. Are you eager to have the government tell you what you can and cannot buy at the grocery store? Or is that only for other people?

Any Libertarians out there have a problem with government invading the personal prerogatives of citizens at this level?
    Last edited by Labgrownmangoat; 01-24-2013 at 11:06 AM.
    "There are many reasons the U.S. shouldn’t go to war with the Islamic State — and the best one may be because that is exactly what they want us to do." -- Dan Froomkin

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Labgrownmangoat View Post
    So you want the government to micromanage the diets of a significant percentage of the population because they receive government benefits? How about managing the diets of those on Medicare, too? Social Security? Those receiving government handouts through the earned income tax credit? How about farm subsidies? How about your diet? You undoubtedly get deductions, student loans, or other government largesse. Are you eager to have the government tell you what you can and cannot buy at the grocery store? Or is that only for other people?
    As an aside, this is why having government increase their role in health care and in other areas is so dangerous. That's why when we right-wing types talk about "tyranny" and things like that, we're not tinfoil hatters. "all the government is doing is giving people health care!" No. The logic that the government should pay for everyone's health care leads to the position that the government has an interest in your personal health. And, if the government has an interest in your personal health, then they can monitor your eating and exercise habits. They already try to do it with welfare and food stamp recipients, they try to do it with the unemployed; what makes you think they aren't going to do it with you when you are reliant on the government for health care?

To the thread at hand though: I want immigration to be as easy as humanly possible. I think you still have to enforce the law, and I think granting amnesty is a position that makes no logical sense, but I want to make the immigration process much much easier. Everyone who wants to be here should be able to get here relatively easily.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tongue-Splitter View Post
    Move to Arizona and you'll get plenty of information just by going to a Home Depot and listening for a while to the employees. I'm not saying that as an illegal immigrant joke, I'm saying that from experience of working at two different Home Depots and having to hear ten thousand conversations about illegal immigrants every day.

I have two issues with illegal immigrants: One, they get better grants and tuition reimbursement than US born citizens even though they don't pay taxes. The lack of taxes is what really bothers me because most of them - heck, all of them - get paid under the table, so they're taking full advantage of the United States without giving anything back. Two, a great number of them literally put next to nothing back into this economy. The Home Depot subcontracts their cleaning / sweeping crew, and every single one of them, if I had to guess, was an illegal immigrant. I confirmed this with one of them who freely admitted to being an illegal immigrant. I didn't care that he was an illegal immigrant and I got past the fact that he wasn't paying any taxes because this was an awesome guy. However, he went on to admit that he works several jobs, collects massive amounts of money and slums through six months of living in the United States by living in terrible conditions and eating very cheap foods. For the other six months of the year, he lives in Mexico like a king, pouring all of his earnings from the United States into Mexico.

Those are the two things that bother me most about illegal immigration. I don't care if you want your customs and traditions brought over to America, I don't care if you never want to learn English because I'm learning Spanish so there really is no reason for me to be upset about that. I don't feel cheated in any way if you want to improve your style of living, but the fact remains that they are getting access to more social benefits while not giving anything back in return, and that bothers me.

So I'm all for giving illegal immigrants citizenship if that means they'll have to start paying taxes on their earnings. I think there is a very large number of Mexicans who would hate for that to happen considering the general ease of crossing the border illegally as compared to having to start paying taxes.
    How do illegal immigrants get better tuition reimbursements? They cant even apply for FAFSA.

Dream act has to pass. I personally know people who are older(35+) and that arent even legal in the USA, should they get Amnesty as well? What is the cutoff point for Amnesty?

Increase border control. Not just to stop illegal immigration but if we don't act now the Cartels will be a bigger problem than illegal immigrants.

Too many what Ifs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hizpcstr View Post
    Increase border control. Not just to stop illegal immigration but if we don't act now the Cartels will be a bigger problem than illegal immigrants.
    There is an easy way the U.S. can stop all that without having to militarize the border.

1) Legalize and regulate drugs in the U.S.. The overwhelming majority of demand for illegal drugs comes from the U.S.. If the U.S. legalizes drugs, those drug cartels disappear overnight, because they'd have no one to sell to.

2) Either re-negotiate or end NAFTA. The reason immigration from Central America has increased a ton since the 90's is because NAFTA has destroyed the economies of Mexico. Most of the immigrants here comes from poor towns that before produced food for Mexico. They got destroyed because under NAFTA, those small Mexican towns can't compete with major U.S. privately-owned publicly-subsidized agribusiness, so those poor people were forced to immigrate here in order to be able to survive. Also NAFTA has been used as a weapon to hurt U.S. manufacturing workers here. The only winners in NAFTA are the elites of the three countries involved, NOT the poor and working population.

vCash

ewing

Quote Originally Posted by gcoll View Post
    As an aside, this is why having government increase their role in health care and in other areas is so dangerous. That's why when we right-wing types talk about "tyranny" and things like that, we're not tinfoil hatters. "all the government is doing is giving people health care!" No. The logic that the government should pay for everyone's health care leads to the position that the government has an interest in your personal health. And, if the government has an interest in your personal health, then they can monitor your eating and exercise habits. They already try to do it with welfare and food stamp recipients, they try to do it with the unemployed; what makes you think they aren't going to do it with you when you are reliant on the government for health care?

To the thread at hand though: I want immigration to be as easy as humanly possible. I think you still have to enforce the law, and I think granting amnesty is a position that makes no logical sense, but I want to make the immigration process much much easier. Everyone who wants to be here should be able to get here relatively easily.
    This would never happen

http://money.msn.com/business-news/a...24&id=16034133

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    @ sota,Homestar
    How someone uses their aide shouldnt be a concern of yours.
    Aide is charity,if they are missusing it,or abusing it,that is a matter or God,or fate,or Karma to straighten out,not you.Are there cheaters? of course, should we figure out better systems of checks and balances? thats fair.But complaining about the pittance they get"for free" is a very childish and selfish attitude."wheres my free stuff?" is that the problem?That would be absolutely pathetic.

I saw a lady with no arms or legs in a wheelchair like device.Does SHE deserve help? should SHE not be able to choose what she spends her aide on.
    "no soup for you!"(seinfeld)

@ homestar, please explain what should be done with the people who "you dont like supporting".
    so Emotionally unstable people, who struggle to maintain work because people dont want to deal with them,so the get unfairly fired for little issues,or mentally ill people who cant even GET a job, or hell, a Football player who was perscribed Oxy for pain after a injury and spun out of control into addiction?

The only answer your party has to every problem, is LOCK EM UP!!
    That costs far more then any other aide weve ever given anyone for anything.
    how are we not supportting them when they are incarcerated?
    STORK WAS RIGHT!
    Mcfadden is useless

vCash
    You guys are forgetting the fact that we're basically feeding an entire country with money we don't have. It's clear we have way too many people in America, that of which only a small portion deserve what they get. Anyone can get food stamps these days. I worked at Western Beef and I would see families buying generic branded food. Some days I will see families buying expensive olive oil. I'm sorry, if you receive financial support, you should use it wisely. There's no reason to buy $20.00 cooking oil when you're not financially stable. Food stamps needs to be stricter. We need to deport all immigrants. I don't care how harsh it sounds but we simply don't have the funds to support millions of "Americans." And what happens when we can't provide them enough money? They go and commit robberies? Seriously. Politicians know the issue is the amount of people. They just won't say it because everyone would bash them.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast