Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Views on illegal immigration

I'm currently in school and my American History teacher had given us an opportunity on conducting a survey and writing an essay on illegal immigration. I need view points from many people and typically, PSD helps me out with my projects.

So, what are your views on Illegal immigration in America and how would you reform it (if you would) or if you're happy with the way the US handles it.m

Appreciate it.

vCash
    Amnesty. The US having an open immigration policy is probably one of the few policies that could dramatically improve the long run growth of the economy. Encouraging highly skilled immigrants (especially STEM workers) would help to grow the work force in areas where their is a shortage in the supply of labor.
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by justinnum1
    Wade will be a lot better next season now that he got knee surgery. Hate on. - 7/31/2012

vCash
    I also agree with amnesty for law-abiding illegal immigrants. According to the 14th amendment to the Constitution, if you are born here, you are a U.S. citizen. Aside from cost, deporting parents and leaving their kids is a horrible idea(or forcing their kids to retrun to Mexico with them).

If you look at the statistics, illegal immigration has actually gone DOWN in the last 7 years, under both Bush and Obama. However in 2010, all of the sudden it was brought back into the spotlight. It's an issue, but way down on my list

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Schmooze View Post
    I also agree with amnesty for law-abiding illegal immigrants. According to the 14th amendment to the Constitution, if you are born here, you are a U.S. citizen. Aside from cost, deporting parents and leaving their kids is a horrible idea(or forcing their kids to retrun to Mexico with them).

If you look at the statistics, illegal immigration has actually gone DOWN in the last 7 years, under both Bush and Obama. However in 2010, all of the sudden it was brought back into the spotlight. It's an issue, but way down on my list
    Funny how the hot button issues pop up in those even years.

Illegal immigration isn't an issue as much as it is a political tool used to hype the base of a particular party; Repubs use it to fire up their primarily conservative white base about the Mexicans coming in and Dems use it to fire up their hold of the Hispanic vote. It's marketing and nothing else. That's all politics is anymore. Its not about laws and rights of a nation as much as it is strategizing by a party to maintain the control they have and keep their lobbyists happy.

That outlook doesn't exactly help for a school paper. It's more of an opinion you'd hear from a 90 year old lady who's tired of decades of being let down by her gov't (the voice of my gma in my ear).

So here's a more useful opinion:
    Illegal immigration is an apparent problem as there are people living in this country and benefiting from its infrastructure, without paying their admission fee (taxes). Proposed solutions of a militarized border and stern naturalization processes would help limit the number of illegal residents, however they do not conform with the USA's long standing image of an open opportunity or "beacon of hope". There ought to be a cleaner path to citizenship for outsiders and a stronger push to help current illegal citizens to become a contributing legal member of our society rather than simply deporting and severing their connections with family that currently reside here.

vCash
    It was an issue for me for as long as I can remember. It sure didn't just start in 2010 for me. I lambasted Bush on what I still say is weak immigration. And honestly I think Schmooze and GGG you are off base, a lot of republicans were pushing for immigration reform under Bush. This isn't just oh the Republicans want to pick on Obama. This has been on going.

I'm firmly against all forms of illegal immigration. What's hilarious is most people think it's only hispanics, but there is a lot of asian pacific illegal immigration.

I'd love for it to never happen, and then significantly raise legal immigration. The problem with illegal immigration is it greatly hurts legal immigration. Legal immigration is going down because of so much illegal immigration.
    Therefore he doesn't exist
    So poof...vamoose son of a b itch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    It was an issue for me for as long as I can remember. It sure didn't just start in 2010 for me. I lambasted Bush on what I still say is weak immigration. And honestly I think Schmooze and GGG you are off base, a lot of republicans were pushing for immigration reform under Bush. This isn't just oh the Republicans want to pick on Obama. This has been on going.

I'm firmly against all forms of illegal immigration. What's hilarious is most people think it's only hispanics, but there is a lot of asian pacific illegal immigration.

I'd love for it to never happen, and then significantly raise legal immigration. The problem with illegal immigration is it greatly hurts legal immigration. Legal immigration is going down because of so much illegal immigration.
    It's been discussed for years of course, but there was an obvious resurrection and focus in 2010. Obviously Obama is going to get his harder by Republicans because he is a Democrat, but that's not to say that many Republicans didn't criticize Bush as well for it.

vCash
    Bush was treated with kid gloves by his own party like Obama is treated with kid gloves by his own party like Clinton was treated with kid gloves by his own party (Notice a pattern?) But It's one thing that early on Republicans did not like about Bush, and was pushing him to be tough on illegal immigration. He ran on it but then did little about it. Bush actually was well liked by hispanics due to this and other things when he was governor of Texas.
    Therefore he doesn't exist
    So poof...vamoose son of a b itch

vCash
    Move to Arizona and you'll get plenty of information just by going to a Home Depot and listening for a while to the employees. I'm not saying that as an illegal immigrant joke, I'm saying that from experience of working at two different Home Depots and having to hear ten thousand conversations about illegal immigrants every day.

I have two issues with illegal immigrants: One, they get better grants and tuition reimbursement than US born citizens even though they don't pay taxes. The lack of taxes is what really bothers me because most of them - heck, all of them - get paid under the table, so they're taking full advantage of the United States without giving anything back. Two, a great number of them literally put next to nothing back into this economy. The Home Depot subcontracts their cleaning / sweeping crew, and every single one of them, if I had to guess, was an illegal immigrant. I confirmed this with one of them who freely admitted to being an illegal immigrant. I didn't care that he was an illegal immigrant and I got past the fact that he wasn't paying any taxes because this was an awesome guy. However, he went on to admit that he works several jobs, collects massive amounts of money and slums through six months of living in the United States by living in terrible conditions and eating very cheap foods. For the other six months of the year, he lives in Mexico like a king, pouring all of his earnings from the United States into Mexico.

Those are the two things that bother me most about illegal immigration. I don't care if you want your customs and traditions brought over to America, I don't care if you never want to learn English because I'm learning Spanish so there really is no reason for me to be upset about that. I don't feel cheated in any way if you want to improve your style of living, but the fact remains that they are getting access to more social benefits while not giving anything back in return, and that bothers me.

So I'm all for giving illegal immigrants citizenship if that means they'll have to start paying taxes on their earnings. I think there is a very large number of Mexicans who would hate for that to happen considering the general ease of crossing the border illegally as compared to having to start paying taxes.

vCash

ewing

Quote Originally Posted by Tongue-Splitter View Post
    Move to Arizona and you'll get plenty of information just by going to a Home Depot and listening for a while to the employees. I'm not saying that as an illegal immigrant joke, I'm saying that from experience of working at two different Home Depots and having to hear ten thousand conversations about illegal immigrants every day.

I have two issues with illegal immigrants: One, they get better grants and tuition reimbursement than US born citizens even though they don't pay taxes. The lack of taxes is what really bothers me because most of them - heck, all of them - get paid under the table, so they're taking full advantage of the United States without giving anything back. Two, a great number of them literally put next to nothing back into this economy. The Home Depot subcontracts their cleaning / sweeping crew, and every single one of them, if I had to guess, was an illegal immigrant. I confirmed this with one of them who freely admitted to being an illegal immigrant. I didn't care that he was an illegal immigrant and I got past the fact that he wasn't paying any taxes because this was an awesome guy. However, he went on to admit that he works several jobs, collects massive amounts of money and slums through six months of living in the United States by living in terrible conditions and eating very cheap foods. For the other six months of the year, he lives in Mexico like a king, pouring all of his earnings from the United States into Mexico.

Those are the two things that bother me most about illegal immigration. I don't care if you want your customs and traditions brought over to America, I don't care if you never want to learn English because I'm learning Spanish so there really is no reason for me to be upset about that. I don't feel cheated in any way if you want to improve your style of living, but the fact remains that they are getting access to more social benefits while not giving anything back in return, and that bothers me.

So I'm all for giving illegal immigrants citizenship if that means they'll have to start paying taxes on their earnings. I think there is a very large number of Mexicans who would hate for that to happen considering the general ease of crossing the border illegally as compared to having to start paying taxes.
    How do you figure this? Here are requirements to receive federal funding for school

http://studentaid.ed.gov/eligibility

Our general eligibility requirements include that you have financial need, are a U.S. citizen or eligible noncitizen, be enrolled in an eligible degree or certificate program at your college or career school, and more. Make sure you’re familiar with our basic eligibility criteria, and ask a college financial aid office if you have any questions about whether you qualify.
    Last edited by ewing; 01-17-2013 at 04:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post

If I implied it was only a current thing, it was by accident. It gained its real momentum under Bush.

vCash
    Based on the premise, I'm against it. I think we are all against breaking the law. But we need to seriously reform those laws because imprisoning or kicking out children who were brought here at a young age is asinine.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Based on the premise, I'm against it. I think we are all against breaking the law. But we need to seriously reform those laws because imprisoning or kicking out children who were brought here at a young age is asinine.
    That's not a principal i follow. i hope i'm not alone. In fact, i have no problem with Mexicans sneaking into this country. They have never bothered me and I don't blame them for doing it. I will admit i have never studied the issue but people who geted complained about seemed to come from a very hard working family oriented culture. Maybe we should start looking at them as a potential asset
    Last edited by ewing; 01-17-2013 at 10:49 PM.

vCash
    Do you think we should even patrol the border?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sota4Ever View Post
    Do you think we should even patrol the border?
    I honestly don't know. Do you think it has any real effect?

vCash
    It could, but right now not really.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast