Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 39 of 39
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wethersfield/Storrs, CT
    Posts
    8,793
    vCash
    1500
    I'd rather get JD Drew to play 1B backup and some LF

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,185
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    I'd rather get JD Drew to play 1B backup and some LF
    Sweet... Very realistic.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wethersfield/Storrs, CT
    Posts
    8,793
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHawk1123 View Post
    Sweet... Very realistic.
    I was sarcasm, but my point was Kotchman isn't even good enough to play in the MLB anymore, and Nick Johnson is pretty terrible too. Gomez is better than both of those guys. We have excess relievers and Salty as trade bait, so there's no reason we shouldn't be able to get a decent bench player.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    3,185
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    I was sarcasm, but my point was Kotchman isn't even good enough to play in the MLB anymore, and Nick Johnson is pretty terrible too. Gomez is better than both of those guys. We have excess relievers and Salty as trade bait, so there's no reason we shouldn't be able to get a decent bench player.
    Oh yeah, I agree totally on that front. My first option would definitely be to package Salty with some of our excess to fill another hole.

    I was just looking at the FAs

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wethersfield/Storrs, CT
    Posts
    8,793
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ZHawk1123 View Post
    Oh yeah, I agree totally on that front. My first option would definitely be to package Salty with some of our excess to fill another hole.

    I was just looking at the FAs
    Yeah pretty weak crop, especially compared to next year. I wouldn't mind us trying to get a comp pick from Napoli and then signing Morneau to a 1 or 2 yr deal (depending on how he does this year). As for backups, I think we're more apt to go for someone who either has big upside or can play multiple positions, but we'll see. I just personally want Salty gone.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    14,844
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Zunino isn't ready to start the season at least, thats why I suggested Salty for Smoak+. Plus when Zunino comes up I'd think they want Montero to still be in the every day lineup. So then Zunino comes up and starts, Salty is the backup, and Montero is the DH and possibly 1B next year depending on where Morales/Morse end up.
    Not sure they won't have Morales/Morse/Montero splitting DH/1B. No need for Salty, especially with only 1yr to FA. At $4.5M he's also too expensive to be a backup.

    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    Yeah pretty weak crop, especially compared to next year. I wouldn't mind us trying to get a comp pick from Napoli and then signing Morneau to a 1 or 2 yr deal (depending on how he does this year). As for backups, I think we're more apt to go for someone who either has big upside or can play multiple positions, but we'll see. I just personally want Salty gone.
    QO next year is likely $14M/1yr. Think they'd extend him $14M straight up for a year if they've got this much protection for the current one year deal?

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wethersfield/Storrs, CT
    Posts
    8,793
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    QO next year is likely $14M/1yr. Think they'd extend him $14M straight up for a year if they've got this much protection for the current one year deal?
    I think if they get the feeling that Napoli won't settle for two 1 year deals in a row (which I don't think is far-fetched at his current age) then they will extend him one. This is pure speculation of course because we have no way of knowing how his season will go.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Greenville, SC
    Posts
    14,844
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
    I think if they get the feeling that Napoli won't settle for two 1 year deals in a row (which I don't think is far-fetched at his current age) then they will extend him one. This is pure speculation of course because we have no way of knowing how his season will go.
    Doesn't sound reasonable. The only way they'd have any confidence in extending him is to see how the year plays out AND decide that the hip is not an issue. I doubt they will feel comfortable with the hip given the extent of this winter's negotiations. From the Sox perspective it's a ticking time bomb that could go off at any moment.

    As for playing on two 1-yr deals... who cares? You mentioned getting a pick and that only happens if they offer him a qualifying offer which, by definition, is a 1yr deal probably worth $14M next year.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Wethersfield/Storrs, CT
    Posts
    8,793
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RedSoxtober View Post
    Doesn't sound reasonable. The only way they'd have any confidence in extending him is to see how the year plays out AND decide that the hip is not an issue. I doubt they will feel comfortable with the hip given the extent of this winter's negotiations. From the Sox perspective it's a ticking time bomb that could go off at any moment.

    As for playing on two 1-yr deals... who cares? You mentioned getting a pick and that only happens if they offer him a qualifying offer which, by definition, is a 1yr deal probably worth $14M next year.
    Yes obviously i know how a QO works. And if we offer him a QO, my point was he may not be inclined to take it if he's stayed healthy for a year and produced well. He'll be 32 at that point likely looking for something in the 3 year range. If the health issues prove not to be a problem this year, there's a good chance he gets a big contract. That's a big if though.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •