Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mula225 View Post
    Apparently everyone forgets Andy Pettitte's ERA. Andy is probably my favorite Yankee. But the dude had an ERA in the mid to high 4's four out of his first six years starting. Just sayin'...
    And? You're not trying to imply he's a bad pitcher are you

Guy keeps his team in the game

Post season stats

All you need to know about Mr. Pettitte

vCash
    Hughes is the same guy as swisher.

Beats up on crap, then turns to crap in big games.

Let someone else overpay.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    Apparently everyone forgets Andy Pettitte's ERA. Andy is probably my favorite Yankee. But the dude had an ERA in the mid to high 4's four out of his first six years starting. Just sayin'...
    Different ERAs, Andy pitched in the steroid ERA where a 4.50 ERA was very solid. Pitching is back now, scoring is way down now. NOt to mention Pettitte gave us a ton of innings, Hughes is a 5-6 inning pitcher who has never even pitched 200 innings ONCE yet.

vCash
    Hughes is just coming into his prime and will probably have a solid year. Never be an ace, but can still develop into a solid 2/3 pitcher. If he has a big year he's going to cost a lot.
    The question for us is who is going to pitch behind CC once Andy and Kuroda retire?
    Nova isn't exactly money in the bank. Phelps might just be a decent swing man. Who knows how Pineda and Banuelos respond to their surgeries?
    We have to have a competent pitching staff and if he has a big year, Hughes will be holding all the cards.

vCash
    Cliff Lee is a Yankee next year.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee View Post
    And? You're not trying to imply he's a bad pitcher are you

Guy keeps his team in the game

Post season stats

All you need to know about Mr. Pettitte
    Not in the slightest. If I said he was probably my favorite yankee, why would I insinuate that he was a bad pitcher?

Everyone was using Hughes ERA of why he shouldn't be signed.

Just trying to offer some perspective..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post

I disagree. Swisher wilted under the pressure. Hughes has been hit or miss.

The CG vs DET & the ALDS start vs BAL say hi...

4/36-4/40 is what I'd top out at.

vCash
    While I can see what you're saying, I don't know if I can entirely agree with you.

If pitching is back now, then why is someone like Ryan Dempster getting 2 years at 13 per? Or Jeremy Guthrie for 3 years and 8.5 per?

Obviously, Hughes hasn't been an innings eater thus far...but in all fairness; he's only had 2 full seasons as a starter. 191.2 IP this past season too.

Sorry for the triple post. Not sure how to combine multiple quotes into one response.

*Response to nycericanguy
    Last edited by Mula225; 01-24-2013 at 04:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    In the current state of baseball, whether we attribute it to PEDs or whatever, a 4.00 ERA is a better than average pitcher.
    In the american league... the average is not uncommon to be just above 4.0... where in the NL, with the pitcher batting, not oncommon to be below that threshold.

It is well known that the AL gets a bit more offense because of the pitcher not embarassing us with their poor excuses for hitting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bfrap View Post
    In the american league... the average is not uncommon to be just above 4.0... where in the NL, with the pitcher batting, not oncommon to be below that threshold.

It is well known that the AL gets a bit more offense because of the pitcher not embarassing us with their poor excuses for hitting.
    There's a difference between AL/NL. Not as large as some might think.

AL average ERA for 2012: 4.08

NL average ERA for 2012: 3.94

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post

agreed,

he tends to be "Fail" Hughes instead of Phil Hughes when facing decent teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    There's a difference between AL/NL. Not as large as some might think.

AL average ERA for 2012: 4.08

NL average ERA for 2012: 3.94
    Yup... you proved what I said... AL slightly above, and NL slightly below... very slightly perhaps, but still in line with my statement...

Though also not uncommon for players moving from one to the other to have the ERA change by a half run one way or the other, depending upon direction of the move.

vCash
    While I can see what you're saying, I don't know if I can entirely agree with you.

If pitching is back now, then why is someone like Ryan Dempster getting 2 years at 13 per? Or Jeremy Guthrie for 3 years and 8.5 per?

Obviously, Hughes hasn't been an innings eater thus far...but in all fairness; he's only had 2 full seasons as a starter. 191.2 IP this past season too.

Sorry for the triple post. Not sure how to combine multiple quotes into one response.

*Response to nycericanguy
    I think we can all agree ALL players are ridiculously overpaid these days... I mean a 37 year old Marco Scutaro just got a $20m deal. My point was pitching is obviously alot better overall now then it was most of Pettitte's career. The MLB average ERA is right at or just under 4.00. Hughes as a starter is well above that.

Hughes has only pitched 2 full seasons because he's been injured alot, which is another knock on him. Bottom line is Pettitte was better, pitched deep into games, and was good for 30+ starts every year, and pitched well in the postseason.

his 2nd year he was 21-8 with a 3.87, followed that up with an 18-7 2.88 year, in those 2 years he averaged over 230IP. Hughes has never even sniffed those numbers, so I'm not really sure where the comparison is. Hughes "best year" is probably not as good as Pettitte's worst.

vCash
    After dealing with all the growing pains of building a young starter, now you want to get rid of him? Hughes and Cano should have huge years they are playing for their free agency paydays. I'm happy with our starting rotation and our bullpen. Our offense is obviously going in a different direction.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    I think we can all agree ALL players are ridiculously overpaid these days... I mean a 37 year old Marco Scutaro just got a $20m deal. My point was pitching is obviously alot better overall now then it was most of Pettitte's career. The MLB average ERA is right at or just under 4.00. Hughes as a starter is well above that.

Hughes has only pitched 2 full seasons because he's been injured alot, which is another knock on him. Bottom line is Pettitte was better, pitched deep into games, and was good for 30+ starts every year, and pitched well in the postseason.

his 2nd year he was 21-8 with a 3.87, followed that up with an 18-7 2.88 year, in those 2 years he averaged over 230IP. Hughes has never even sniffed those numbers, so I'm not really sure where the comparison is. Hughes "best year" is probably not as good as Pettitte's worst.
    I know there's a higher premium placed on pitchers nowadays. We all know good pitching wins you championships.

Hughes has been known to go down with a few injuries. I never said Andy wasn't the better pitcher. He absolutely is.

Just for fun...

AP 1999 - IP 191.2 H 216 BB's 89 K's 121 ERA 4.70 WHIP 1.59

PH 2012 - IP 191.1 H 196 BB's 46 K's 165 ERA 4.23 WHIP 1.26

I really started this whole thing to really just point out similarities in their ERA. I wasn't bashing Pettitte by any means.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast