Are they on the last year too?
    2014 is the last year of arb for both

vCash
    Word. Thx.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    it probably depends alot on how Phelps, Nova and Pineda progress this yr. If their doing well at the AS break I think the smart thing is to trade Hughes, teams always overpay for descent pitching that time of yr and i don't think the Yanks will pay him enough to keep him at yrs end. Better to get something for him than nothing
    Geez, 5 years ago he was the future.....The future is here and now all you people want him sent packing!

How about keeping him and resigning him like when Pettitte was first resigned...
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    Obviously I have no idea but I find it kinda unlikely that Hughes wouldn't accept an extension BTW. The big picture on his career is that he's still only pitched full seasons twice in his career. With how up and down his careers been I imagine getting guaranteed money is something his agent would want.
    You are looking at this as you would the GAME of baseball.... this is the BUSINESS of baseball. Part is that this close to UFA, the agent will want big bucks... the Yanks are not going there... for the 1 year, the agent has little leverage (arbitration only)... but next year, big leverage... never assume that it is all one side... it goes both ways.

Yes, I would have like to see a 3-4 year deal... but don't assume that it would have saved the Yanks a nickel... the agent would have wanted all years at UFA prices... rather than this upcoming year being at RFA prices, and beyond at UFA... The yanks made a business decision... and you make it out like it would have been so EASY to do it any other way... When dealing with people, nothing is easy...

vCash
    Hughes is easily replaceable. We can't find a guy who pitches to over a 4.00 era and stays healthy every other year?

C'mon...
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Hughes is easily replaceable. We can't find a guy who pitches to over a 4.00 era and stays healthy every other year?

C'mon...
    Don't you want to see Hughes in his prime years?

In a Yankee uniform?
    Nick

vCash
    We should have sold high

vCash
    Selling low on Clippard and Kennedy was a way better idea.

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post

C'mon...
    Seriously. Wasn't there a time when a 4.00 ERA was considered, you know, kinda crappy?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    Seriously. Wasn't there a time when a 4.00 ERA was considered, you know, kinda crappy?
    Exactly. I mean when is giving up a run every other inning good?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    4.00 ERA pitchers make $15M a year now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    4.00 ERA pitchers make $15M a year now.
    Not a terrible gig. AJ was a bargain! Oh.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    In the current state of baseball, whether we attribute it to PEDs or whatever, a 4.00 ERA is a better than average pitcher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobshirleyrules View Post
    I think the Yankee front office, is in wait and see mode. As fans we have to understand that there is the possibility the Yankee front office might blow up this team. If they do, we should support that. It is getting harder to put bandaids together. Look at our most productive players and how old they will be on 9/30/2012 (e.g. last day of the season)

Pitching:

CC-30
    Rivera 43
    Pettite 41
    Kuroda 38

Infield

Jeter-39
    Cano-31 (almost)
    Arod-38
    Youklis-33

Outfied

Ichiro-40 (almost)
    Granderson -32
    Gardner 30

Look this is an old team. It very possible CC could blow up. Look what happened to Halladay last year! Jeter and Ichiro or pushing 40 (which is well surpassed the actuarial life expectancy of even a good player). Ditto for Rivera, Pettitte.

Lets say the Big three all blowup this year. Yankees are in big trouble. The front office knows this is a matter of not if but when and the when is coming. If this happens, my hope is the Yankee move every piece they have with value to sock up the minor leagues. Come 2014, get under 189 million, and sign short-term deals while young talent makes its way through.

Look if the Yankees can secure 4 good young players, they have the resources to spend their way out of any long-term drought. On the other hand the Yankees need to know when to fold. Frankly if its early July, and the Yankees are sitting 35-45, 15 games out - my hope is that the Yankees become sellers.

Look as a fan I have prepared myself to say goodbye to the dynasty that was built. To get to the next generation quicker requires smart trades. Stockpiling young players is what the Yankees need to do. If Trading a Cano will net 3 top 50 prospects in the game, I say go for it (that and 3 first rounders). Of those 6 if four make it to the Roster and two become All Stars the Yankee front office has done its job.

THIS IS NOT TO SAY I'M GIVING UP. I think the Yankees have the players who can win another world championship. The question is whether the clock will strike midnight. If it does in July, the front office should be ready. I think they are. My feeling build some young talent now build a core, and then make the big splash.
    On the surface, your idea has merit... BUT, you forget that the Yanks are under a new CBA now. Guys like Hughes or Cano, who will become UFA's at the end of the year would get us draft pick compensation. But if they are traded mid-season, they don't take that with them. The new team would NOT be eligible for draft pick compensation, unless they played for the entire season there, any longer. That means, they are no longer worth as much to most teams during the stretch drive. Yeah, we may still get some young players, but don't expect 2 top 50 prospects (say nothing of the 3 you talk about), because it just is not going to happen any more.

vCash
    Apparently everyone forgets Andy Pettitte's ERA. Andy is probably my favorite Yankee. But the dude had an ERA in the mid to high 4's four out of his first six years starting. Just sayin'...

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast