Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    it probably depends alot on how Phelps, Nova and Pineda progress this yr. If their doing well at the AS break I think the smart thing is to trade Hughes, teams always overpay for descent pitching that time of yr and i don't think the Yanks will pay him enough to keep him at yrs end. Better to get something for him than nothing
    No team would trade a useful player if they were in a pennant race.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    I don't know why didn't just extend him since they gave him 2.15 mil more then he was expected to get this year.
    I hate this not extending players this team incorporates into there business motto.
    So stupid, especially if they wanna cut payroll. Extend when younger so you can't be bid against.

I agree Rich, sometimes it hurts you especially when a long term deal is signed and an injury occurs shortly there after or if a decline follows the extension.

However when we are discussing young, potentially high impact players, who could anticipate a large offer from some pitching hungry team with money that decided to make a run at it; then I think its more advantageous to try and lock that player up in order to avoid other teams driving the price up or running the risk of that player walking.

The best example of effective use of early, cost effecient use of the contract extension is the Tampa Bay Rays, who have made some very effective long term contract deals where they have high impact arms and bats locked up at insanely reasonable prices.

Yankees - Knicks - NY Giants - UK Wildcats - Michigan Wolverines

My UFC Crew:

HW: J.Dos Santos - R.Nelson - B.Schaub
    LHW: R.Evans - J.Jones - Shogun Rua - G.Teixeira - A.Gustafson
    MW: C.Leben - A.Silva - C.Sonnon
    WW: G.St.Pierre - R.McDonald - J.Hendricks
    LW: D.Cerrone - J.Lauzon - M.Johnson - R.Nijem - N.Diaz - M.Chiesa
    FW: J.Aldo - J.Brookins - C.Sung-Jung
    BW: M.McDonald - U.Faber

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bedford1829 View Post
    I agree Rich, sometimes it hurts you especially when a long term deal is signed and an injury occurs shortly there after or if a decline follows the extension.

However when we are discussing young, potentially high impact players, who could anticipate a large offer from some pitching hungry team with money that decided to make a run at it; then I think its more advantageous to try and lock that player up in order to avoid other teams driving the price up or running the risk of that player walking.

The best example of effective use of early, cost effecient use of the contract extension is the Tampa Bay Rays, who have made some very effective long term contract deals where they have high impact arms and bats locked up at insanely reasonable prices.
    We should be doing this. D-Rob and Gardner shouldn't hit free agency.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    I would only agree to locking up Robertson if the yankees have plans towards converting him into a starter, otherwise there's really no point. He's a setup guy not a closer so his value is low. The few times he was allowed to close he was terrible at it. This is why you don't rely on small sample sizes.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

vCash
    This is a make or break season for him in NY. Im very interested in seeing how he pitches.

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    I would only agree to locking up Robertson if the yankees have plans towards converting him into a starter, otherwise there's really no point. He's a setup guy not a closer so his value is low. The few times he was allowed to close he was terrible at it. This is why you don't rely on small sample sizes.
    Aren't you relying on a small sample size to conclude that he's a setup guy and not a closer?

vCash
    I think the Yankee front office, is in wait and see mode. As fans we have to understand that there is the possibility the Yankee front office might blow up this team. If they do, we should support that. It is getting harder to put bandaids together. Look at our most productive players and how old they will be on 9/30/2012 (e.g. last day of the season)

Pitching:

CC-30
    Rivera 43
    Pettite 41
    Kuroda 38

Infield

Jeter-39
    Cano-31 (almost)
    Arod-38
    Youklis-33

Outfied

Ichiro-40 (almost)
    Granderson -32
    Gardner 30

Look this is an old team. It very possible CC could blow up. Look what happened to Halladay last year! Jeter and Ichiro or pushing 40 (which is well surpassed the actuarial life expectancy of even a good player). Ditto for Rivera, Pettitte.

Lets say the Big three all blowup this year. Yankees are in big trouble. The front office knows this is a matter of not if but when and the when is coming. If this happens, my hope is the Yankee move every piece they have with value to sock up the minor leagues. Come 2014, get under 189 million, and sign short-term deals while young talent makes its way through.

Look if the Yankees can secure 4 good young players, they have the resources to spend their way out of any long-term drought. On the other hand the Yankees need to know when to fold. Frankly if its early July, and the Yankees are sitting 35-45, 15 games out - my hope is that the Yankees become sellers.

Look as a fan I have prepared myself to say goodbye to the dynasty that was built. To get to the next generation quicker requires smart trades. Stockpiling young players is what the Yankees need to do. If Trading a Cano will net 3 top 50 prospects in the game, I say go for it (that and 3 first rounders). Of those 6 if four make it to the Roster and two become All Stars the Yankee front office has done its job.

THIS IS NOT TO SAY I'M GIVING UP. I think the Yankees have the players who can win another world championship. The question is whether the clock will strike midnight. If it does in July, the front office should be ready. I think they are. My feeling build some young talent now build a core, and then make the big splash.

vCash
    The problem is, the worst case scenario is we are hovering around .500 and if that is the case there is no way we become sellers, although if we are at .500 we should.
    Solarte, oh, oh!
    Solarte, oh, oh, oh, oh!

[Nel blu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lassł
    Nel biu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lass]

vCash
    wow no one has faith in the team at all
    talks of 500 and fire sales

sheesh

i'm expecting first place wild card at worst, you do realize we have one of the top staffs in the AL.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XrTK9lvkCQg

My tribute to edwin Encarrrrnacioooooon...... Been an amazing fantasy replacement whle arod was hurt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carnage101 View Post
    wow no one has faith in the team at all
    talks of 500 and fire sales

sheesh

i'm expecting first place wild card at worst, you do realize we have one of the top staffs in the AL.
    You are crazy if you think worst case scenario is the first wild card.

This team has too many injury questions, age and holes in the lineup to be a guaranteed playoff team.

Not saying the team can't make the playoffs since they obviously can. Just saying we are far from a playoff lock and with an injury or two it could get very ugly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobshirleyrules View Post
    I think the Yankee front office, is in wait and see mode. As fans we have to understand that there is the possibility the Yankee front office might blow up this team. If they do, we should support that. It is getting harder to put bandaids together. Look at our most productive players and how old they will be on 9/30/2012 (e.g. last day of the season)

Pitching:

CC-30
    Rivera 43
    Pettite 41
    Kuroda 38

Infield

Jeter-39
    Cano-31 (almost)
    Arod-38
    Youklis-33

Outfied

Ichiro-40 (almost)
    Granderson -32
    Gardner 30

Look this is an old team. It very possible CC could blow up. Look what happened to Halladay last year! Jeter and Ichiro or pushing 40 (which is well surpassed the actuarial life expectancy of even a good player). Ditto for Rivera, Pettitte.

Lets say the Big three all blowup this year. Yankees are in big trouble. The front office knows this is a matter of not if but when and the when is coming. If this happens, my hope is the Yankee move every piece they have with value to sock up the minor leagues. Come 2014, get under 189 million, and sign short-term deals while young talent makes its way through.

Look if the Yankees can secure 4 good young players, they have the resources to spend their way out of any long-term drought. On the other hand the Yankees need to know when to fold. Frankly if its early July, and the Yankees are sitting 35-45, 15 games out - my hope is that the Yankees become sellers.

Look as a fan I have prepared myself to say goodbye to the dynasty that was built. To get to the next generation quicker requires smart trades. Stockpiling young players is what the Yankees need to do. If Trading a Cano will net 3 top 50 prospects in the game, I say go for it (that and 3 first rounders). Of those 6 if four make it to the Roster and two become All Stars the Yankee front office has done its job.

THIS IS NOT TO SAY I'M GIVING UP. I think the Yankees have the players who can win another world championship. The question is whether the clock will strike midnight. If it does in July, the front office should be ready. I think they are. My feeling build some young talent now build a core, and then make the big splash.
    The problem is that its too late to blow up the team and build for the future if this team is struggling mightily come July.

If there was any chance of them blowing up the team and getting some good young players it was after the season ended. And if the Yankees were planning on going half-assed to put together a team to compete this year they should have blown it up. Instead they signed Ichiro for two years, Youkilis, etc...

The front office won't blow the team up now. They'll let all their assets go in Cano, Hughes, Granderson, etc...and get draft picks. Which is such a terrible route to take. The team isn't creative enough to find a middle road between rebuilding and competing when it can't spend money.

vCash
    Manny Ramirez is KILLING IT in Winter Ball. DH? Talk about added firepower!!!

vCash
    **** manny
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Aren't you relying on a small sample size to conclude that he's a setup guy and not a closer?
    When you fall apart in almost all your opportunities as a closer but then excel at setting up you're probably not ever meant to close games for any team. That's just how it is. I don't need to see Robertson pitch an entire season to see that.

vCash
    Are they on the last year too?

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast