Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Phil Hughes Situation.

Yanks signed Hughes to a 1 yr 7.15 million deal.

Hughes is a free agent after the season.

Texas locked up Harrison to 5/55 today.

Detroit gave Anibal Sanchez 5/80m plus.

I think this situation is similar to Cano, but obviously lesser in extent.

Are we letting him walk? Overpaying him? Trade?

Thoughts?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    I think they will resign him at the end of the year. Something to the effect of 4/50. Maybe 5/62.

Fairly solid pitching isn't the easiest to find, so if he has a good, or at least decent year, expect him to get a nice deal somewhat like Harrison.

I don't feel that's over spending. We need to keep our pitching. That said, if he has a bad year and still gives up lots of bombs and XBHs, then they could let him walk if Pineda comes back strong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Decimotox View Post
    I think they will resign him at the end of the year. Something to the effect of 4/50. Maybe 5/62.

Fairly solid pitching isn't the easiest to find, so if he has a good, or at least decent year, expect him to get a nice deal somewhat like Harrison.

I don't feel that's over spending. We need to keep our pitching. That said, if he has a bad year and still gives up lots of bombs and XBHs, then they could let him walk if Pineda comes back strong.
    I think they will attempt to resign him too. Although we didn't get what we thought we would have out of Hughes, he is still a solid pitcher.

vCash
    Agree that they'll want to keep him. But, as usual, if he hits FA, some team will offer him 5/75.

Ugh.

I'm not a huge fan. I think he's a 3/4 at best. I'll determine my opinion this year.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Agree that they'll want to keep him. But, as usual, if he hits FA, some team will offer him 5/75.

Ugh.

I'm not a huge fan. I think he's a 3/4 at best. I'll determine my opinion this year.
    I agree, I only see him as a 3. But, a solid 3 is hard to find for most teams. I'm sure someone will offer him a nice contract. But if he pitches this year like he did last year, I don't think a big contact would be in order.

Plus, he's going into this year as our 4 starter behind CC, Kuroda and Andy. If he can't perform well as a 4 starter in the AL, I don't think a big contract will come.

vCash
    I don't know why didn't just extend him since they gave him 2.15 mil more then he was expected to get this year.
    I hate this not extending players this team incorporates into there business motto.
    So stupid, especially if they wanna cut payroll. Extend when younger so you can't be bid against.

vCash
    They should have extended him when they just did the arbitration thing.

Instead they'll lose him for nothing but a draft pick or overpay him in free agency.

vCash
    Its a tough situation.

He's really an average pitcher, actually has one of the highest ERA's of any yankee starter in history.

I think 4/50m would be fair for him, but do we really go 5/75 for him if another team offers it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    I don't know why didn't just extend him since they gave him 2.15 mil more then he was expected to get this year.
    I hate this not extending players this team incorporates into there business motto.
    So stupid, especially if they wanna cut payroll. Extend when younger so you can't be bid against.
    It really is kind of baffling. If you want to be like every other team and stay under the luxury tax, then you have to actually do business like those teams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    Its a tough situation.

He's really an average pitcher, actually has one of the highest ERA's of any yankee starter in history.

I think 4/50m would be fair for him, but do we really go 5/75 for him if another team offers it?
    I would think if the Yankees offered Hughes a 4/50M contract right now that he would take it in a minute. They could probably get him for a little cheaper than that even.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Yanks signed Hughes to a 1 yr 7.15 million deal.

Hughes is a free agent after the season.

Texas locked up Harrison to 5/55 today.

Detroit gave Anibal Sanchez 5/80m plus.

I think this situation is similar to Cano, but obviously lesser in extent.

Are we letting him walk? Overpaying him? Trade?

Thoughts?
    I still think Hughes will mature and be a quality starter. Perhaps not the ace or 1B we were hoping for, but certainly a solid home grown #3 for years to come. Remember, Andy P. was never an ace or 1B despite all of those post season wins.

With that being said, I would have locked him up now for 4/$40-45 mil. It will certainly be difficult for us to find a solid starter under 35 next year in FA or young stud from our farm system that is ready for the show given all the injuries we have experienced. Remember, AP and HK will probably be gone and we will already have two spots to fill with limited capital. I believe he might have taken a bite to avoid the injury risk.

If he does have a strong year, he is going to be looking for 5/$85 mil and be out of our price range.

vCash
    if he hits free agency he's gone
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Decimotox View Post

$189 million!!!!!!

Hughes is walking and we get compensation.....
    Nick

vCash
    He's a draft pick waiting to happen if he has a good year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    Ummm, I don't understand why you don't understand... Only a fool would not understand. Any agent worth anything would not have wanted to extend beyond this upcoming season because on the UFA market, you can deal with pure capitalism where you have a better chance of getting an overpriced and way too many years on a contract.

Remember, it takes two to make a deal, and don't assume that the yanks were the weak point in this process.They may have wanted to go 4-5 years and the agent said no just to deal with UFA.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast