Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    vCash
    Getting rid of Connolly makes your team better in the short and long term. He walks next season anyways. Last year at full strength he was miserable. Lombardi is a guy who if he can ever get over the post concussion symptoms could be useful. The problem is you cannot count on him to be. He returns to Phoenix who needed a second line type center and you guys got something back. Realistically I figured he was a buyout candidate in the mix with Komisarek and Connolly.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    The current roster for the Leafs does need a face lift. Getting JVR was a great buy low move for Schenn who fell out of favor in Toronto. If he stays healthy, he could be a top six forward for the next several years. Easily.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    I thought Tim walks this season...wasnt it only a 2yr deal?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Halladay View Post
    This is what I don't get. If they're willing to pay half his salary if someone picks him up on waivers or pay the full salary in the minors, why not pay half in a trade scenario?
    by putting him on waivers you allow the team to pay him his entire contract.

if you trade him and eat half his salary it costs you $2.5 million for a 3rd round pick. from a strictly business standpoint that seems like an extreme price to pay for a prospect who isn't likely to ever make the league. they'd be better dumping him with no assets coming back but saving the money.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DiPasquale7 View Post
    by putting him on waivers you allow the team to pay him his entire contract.

if you trade him and eat half his salary it costs you $2.5 million for a 3rd round pick. from a strictly business standpoint that seems like an extreme price to pay for a prospect who isn't likely to ever make the league. they'd be better dumping him with no assets coming back but saving the money.
    It was my understanding that you pick up half the tab on a waiver pickup?

vCash
    I honestly get a kick out of the fact that some of you guys still after a day of discussion think that Nonis put Connolly on waivers without so much as trying to make a deal. Obviously he would of made a deal for anything if there was a market or even one taker for Connolly. Obviously at this point nobody wanted him for any price no matter how insignificant and I'm sure that included us eating some of his salary for the remainder of the year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    I honestly get a kick out of the fact that some of you guys still after a day of discussion think that Nonis put Connolly on waivers without so much as trying to make a deal. Obviously he would of made a deal for anything if there was a market or even one taker for Connolly. Obviously at this point nobody wanted him for any price no matter how insignificant and I'm sure that included us eating some of his salary for the remainder of the year.
    I agree with you 100 per cent. Sort of blows my mind that Leaf fans are whinning about Connolly being put on Waivers totally assuming Nonis didn't try to look for a deal. Clearly nobody wanted him or else he would have traded him for a pick. Like I said if he tried with Lombardi he obviously tried with Connolly yet of course still not good enough for people on here.

Baffles me. They complain year long about Connolly and when he's finally put on waivers people say oh damn why would he do this? He should have traded him... I swear they could have gotten Malkin and Letang for him. Why would Nonis do this? OMG. Like shutup and be happy.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ktownguy31 View Post
    I thought Tim walks this season...wasnt it only a 2yr deal?
    It is. He's a UFA this summer.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post
    I agree with you 100 per cent. Sort of blows my mind that Leaf fans are whinning about Connolly being put on Waivers totally assuming Nonis didn't try to look for a deal. Clearly nobody wanted him or else he would have traded him for a pick. Like I said if he tried with Lombardi he obviously tried with Connolly yet of course still not good enough for people on here.

Baffles me. They complain year long about Connolly and when he's finally put on waivers people say oh damn why would he do this? He should have traded him... I swear they could have gotten Malkin and Letang for him. Why would Nonis do this? OMG. Like shutup and be happy.
    Some of us are just concerned they are going to buy him out...it's all about asset management, especially with a guy who only has one year left on his deal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    Don't be so sure he tried to deal him. He just lost the Marlies most productive player and a centreman to a waiver claim by the Isles. I bet Nonis could have gotten a pick (3rd or 4th) but decided that he's worth more to us on the Marlies.
    Skating circles around the NHL since 2013/2014

To be continued...?

\_(ツ)_/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post

Lol. They don't whine. I wouldn't say that. But I mean he's a guy we've wanted gone since last season. Some of us since the day he signed the contract. It's just obvious that Nonis tried to make a deal and couldn't. Waivers obviously was the last resort. I'm just glad senoirity is out of the window and this sence of self entitlement is gradually making it's way out of our dressing room. Kind of like the final exorcism of the blue and white disease people often joked about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    Don't be so sure he tried to deal him. He just lost the Marlies most productive player and a centreman to a waiver claim by the Isles. I bet Nonis could have gotten a pick (3rd or 4th) but decided that he's worth more to us on the Marlies.
    I doubt Nonis wants to see him play in the minors. I don't think he did that by design. Obviously a guy like Tim Connolly is a vetran and it's a tough thing to do professionally to a guy like waiving him. Guarentee Nonis hoped Tim would find a job elsehwere. Like I said Nonis probably would of did the same thing with Lombardi but he was able to find a taker and I doubt there were many takers. Lombardi's younger, faster and costs less. This is why Nonis found a taker for him and couldn't for Connolly I'm guessing.

Also there were alot of guys on the Marlies loaned to ECHL teams during the lockout because the team was too full. Alot of them young guys. With the NHL ready to open and some of the guys like Aucoin gone ect it allows those kids to play in the AHL. Hence the youth movement. Aucoin tears up the AHL but at 34-35 years old he's not worth a roster spot over a young kid even on our farm team.

vCash
    Lance Hornby ‏@sunhornby

Islanders did not claim Tim Connolly on waivers as rumoured.
    What a shame

vCash
    David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod

Tim Connolly has cleared waivers. Trade next possible option. Agent JP Barry will be "discussing options" with Leafs later today
    James Mirtle ‏@mirtle
    Connolly going to Marlies. Nonis says we may see him with Leafs down road still.
    Skating circles around the NHL since 2013/2014

To be continued...?

\_(ツ)_/

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    If he goes to the KHL does he still carry an NHL cap hit?

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast