Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Wieters Interested In Long-Term Deal With Orioles

Ok, now that we have DD and Buck in place for years to come, it is time to lock up Wieters. He is a Boras client, and we need him in black and orange for his career. who's with me??

Wieters Interested In Long-Term Deal With Orioles
    By Mark Polishuk [January 16 at 10:18pm CST]
    The Orioles haven't yet engaged in any extension talks with Matt Wieters, but the catcher tells Dan Connolly of the Baltimore Sun that he would be very interested in staying in the black-and-orange for years to come.

"I've always been interested [in staying long-term in Baltimore]," Wieters said on Tuesday. "I'm a huge fan of Baltimore and what [Buck Showalter and Dan Duquette] have done. It's something to where it's a great baseball town, it's a fun place to play and it's a place where I enjoy playing."

Wieters is under team control through 2015 and is arbitration-eligible for the first time, with a shot at receiving a record salary for first-time arb-eligible catchers according to MLBTR's Matt Swartz. Before the 2012 season began, MLBTR's Mike Axisa thought a five-year, $22-$25MM extension would fit Wieters but the catcher's price tag has likely gone up following a performance that included 23 homers and a .249/.329/.435 slash line.

Connolly notes that Baltimore's location fits Wieters for family reasons, and the catcher himself has been impressed with how the O's have seen fit to lock up other building blocks like Showalter, Adam Jones, Nick Markakis and J.J. Hardy in recent years.

"To have a manager like that and players like that [locked up], that definitely doesn't hurt," Wieters said.

Read more at http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/#WSoUk1jgOhFTVDzz.99

vCash
    We need Weiters. Do just like Jones

vCash
    what do you think it would take? I'd love to buy out his arbitration years and get at least 2 free agent seasons.

vCash
    To lock him up would be a first. Boras likes getting his guys to free agency so clubs can ante up and pay premium. We shall see. Would be nice to lock him up for awhile.

vCash
    Well, him really wanting to stay here helps, hopefully we can get it done.

vCash
    Yeah, any bit helps but Boras is Boras. Only time will tell. A lot will be made out of this arbitration or no arbitration. If we can avoid arbitration with him that will help. If we go to arb. then that's when boras will really start his rhetoric.

vCash
    Well the good news is players like CarGo, and Jered Weaver. I will post an interesting article below. they predict it will cost the O's 4 years and 48 mill to buy out arbitration and 1 free agent year, or 5 years at 60 million to buy two free agent years.

I'd even venture to say I'd like to go 6 years and 75 million. If he blossoms offensively in the next few years, the money required to resign him would be far out of our price range. If we make a solid and fair commitment to him now, the contract could provide us with a lot of surplus value.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...st-the-orioles

vCash
    Well, we avoided arb. with Wieters so that's a first baby step. $5.5MM contract for 2013.
    That's a nice bump and over most of the aggressive estimates. It's a start.

vCash
    I really want us to lock him up. We need to commit to winning and even if it is a hefty price to pay (possibly upwards of $50 mill) we have to do it. We extended Jones, now it is time for Wieters. Let's do it DD!!!