Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

What's wrong with the team?

I just noticed that the Isles were ranked 29/30 on FOX's power rankings.

As a casual NHL fan, can someone clue me in on why they are ranked so low? I know that they've been struggling for a decade now, but it looks like we're just loaded with young talent at the forward position between JT, Okposo, Bailey, Grabner, etc. and then slightly older guys like Nielsen and Moulson. I thought maybe the combo of Nabokov and DP (when healthy) might be about league average or close to it. I know the defense has been weak for awhile now but it does look improved this year.

I guess I expected a 29th ranked team to be light on talent, but it doesn't look that way to me. Is it because they're so raw? Or is the defense really that bad? Or am I overrating the goalies?

vCash
    this team finished 2nd to last in the conference last year and made no major moves to improve. many on the offense will have to over-perform just to have similar years. team lost more in p.a. than what they gained back with boyes. defensive depth is non existent. take a look at the rosters of the other 4 teams the islanders are competing with in the division. plus, the islanders have been so bad for so long it shouldn't be such a shock that no one is giving them any credit until they go out and earn it.

vCash
    ^+1

We're a young team with potential, and we've been bad for a long time and didn't make any big moves this offseason. Until we go out there and the team as a whole improves, then anyone with a reputaion to uphold would NOT pick the Isles to improve

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    Welcome back Tsu, and basically those 2 sums it up. They gotta earn there prestige back and sending down Strome today did not help that.

vCash
    good to see you back tsu..
    I have to agree with tsu and kmo but the funny thing is that we all still believe they will make the palyoffs or at least compete until the very end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    Welcome back Tsu
    Quote Originally Posted by beltran15mets View Post
    good to see you back tsu..
    thanks... i can't believe how long i've been away. this site layout is going to take some getting used to.

vCash
    Bad team didn't really make any tangible improvements from last year. A lot of people think that the Isles will surprise this year and compete for a playoff spot, but a lot of that comes with the gimmick of a short season. As long as we forget to have our annual mid-season swoon we can be a team that competes, but it's going to take a lot of things to go right for us
    SPACE

vCash
    And good to have you back tsunami. Poor kmo thought he'd get to be tm
    SPACE

vCash
    I agree with tsu, n kmo.. We r young.. 1yr away from real playoff contenders..
    We got this!!!

vCash
    Everybody keeps pointing out that the division we play in makes it tough.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deepiddy View Post
    Everybody keeps pointing out that the division we play in makes it tough.
    Yes it's going to be extremely hard to compete with the other teams. Btw congrats on your first post. Interesting that you waited a year and a half and then chose this thread...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWestKins View Post
    And good to have you back tsunami. Poor kmo thought he'd get to be tm
    When I was in HS I wanted that job. No longer, My activity on this site will now be limited to basically the isles forum when were playing and thats it after the redraft ends

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tsunami View Post
    Yes it's going to be extremely hard to compete with the other teams. Btw congrats on your first post. Interesting that you waited a year and a half and then chose this thread...
    Thanks. I usually read, but rarely post