Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Trade Alert: Rangers Acquire Brandon Mashinter from SJ Sharks

Not "huge news" but a trade nonetheless. Here is the article:

New York Rangers President and General Manager Glen Sather announced today that the club has acquired forward Brandon Mashinter from San Jose in exchange for forward Tommy Grant and a conditional pick in the 2014 NHL Entry Draft.

Mashinter, 24, has registered two goals and three assists, along with 44 penalty minutes in 30 games with the Worcester Sharks of the American Hockey League (AHL) this season. On November 11, he notched his first goal of the season with a power play tally against Providence and, on December 29, recorded the game-winning goal with 3:37 remaining in regulation for a 3-2 victory against Providence.

Mashinter registered three points (one goal, two assists) in a five-game span from November 9 against Portland to November 17 against Connecticut.

The 6-4, 230-pounder has skated in 236 career AHL games over four seasons with Worcester, registering 54 goals and 54 assists for 108 points, along with 324 penalty minutes. He ranks fourth on Worcesterís all-time goals list and seventh on the teamís all-time points list.

The Bradford, Ontario native established AHL career-highs in goals (22), points (37) and penalty minutes (117) while skating in a career-best, 79 games as a rookie in 2009-10. He became the first player in Worcester history to record double digits in goals and fighting majors (13), and the second Shark in franchise history to eclipse 20 goals as a rookie.

Mashinter finished that season tied for third among AHL rookies in goals and ninth in penalty minutes. He also made his professional playoff debut in the 2010 Calder Cup Playoffs, which he finished tied for third on the team in scoring with six points (one goal, five assists) in 11 postseason contests.

Signed by San Jose as an undrafted free agent on March 3, 2009, Mashinter has skated in 13 career NHL contests with the Sharks, making his NHL debut on December 29, 2010, at Minnesota.

Grant, 26, has skated in 34 games with the Connecticut Whale (AHL) this season, registering nine goals and eight assists for 17 points, along with 15 penalty minutes.

The North Vancouver, British Columbia native was originally signed by the Rangers as an undrafted free agent on March 29, 2011.
    http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

vCash
    Kid looks like he could fight! Maybe we found ourselves a new Prust.

vCash
    This guy sounds big. I never heard of him before. I just looked. He has put up some decent AHL numbers with a couple of cups of coffee at the NHL level.

I will miss Prust. I thought he was the heart and soul of the team the last 2 seasons. The guy played through pain and would take on anyone.
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite no matter what their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful or dishonest poster please do not expect a reply.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SLY WILLIAMS View Post
    This guy sounds big. I never heard of him before. I just looked. He has put up some decent AHL numbers with a couple of cups of coffee at the NHL level.

I will miss Prust. I thought he was the heart and soul of the team the last 2 seasons. The guy played through pain and would take on anyone.
    Hey Sly...I will miss Prust too. I know what you mean about the intangibles Prust brought to the team but IMO Caly was and IS the heart & soul of the Rangers! Just my opinion.

vCash
    Please not another Rupp lol. Luckiest Game he ever played 1/2/12

lol bryz

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Claude28Giroux View Post
    Please not another Rupp lol. Luckiest Game he ever played 1/2/12
    If it had gone another 2 mins the refs probably would have gotten you that W that you wanted to badly

vCash

I agree Prust was the heart and soul of the team. The Capt was a close second Prust will be missed

vCash
    From what some sharks fans have said, Mash has been a bit of a disappointment. They thought he was going to be a pretty good power forward but he has disappointed. He is a pretty good fighter though and IMO he could replace Rupp on our 4th line and cost a mill less. I have also seen him fight on youtube and he isnt a slouch either. Fought Parros and a few others. Could be nice surprise if he develops a but later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YankeeFanAlways View Post
    Hey Sly...I will miss Prust too. I know what you mean about the intangibles Prust brought to the team but IMO Caly was and IS the heart & soul of the Rangers! Just my opinion.
    Hey Yanks. I totally understand why you would say that. He was named captain for good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by nyr2002nyr View Post
    I agree Prust was the heart and soul of the team. The Capt was a close second Prust will be missed
    I felt like Prust was the heart and soul of the team for the last 2 seasons but I can understand some fans would say Cally, or Lundy, or Girardi, or Gabs. It is pretty cool that we have so many leaders.
    I'm always happy to discuss anything from hoops, to hockey, to reality TV with anyone that is polite no matter what their opinion. With that said if you are disrespectful or dishonest poster please do not expect a reply.

vCash

I'll miss Prust too but I think his body is already breaking down, I don't see any more 82 game seasons in him. I honestly think this was his final pay day and he made the best of it. Sometimes playing through pain is good short term but he was cutting years off his career and as much as he's effective he wasn't our top player, he could have went home and healed up when he needed too. Playing through pain is admirable but especially with fighters its not the smartest thing to do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bsi View Post
    I'll miss Prust too but I think his body is already breaking down, I don't see any more 82 game seasons in him. I honestly think this was his final pay day and he made the best of it. Sometimes playing through pain is good short term but he was cutting years off his career and as much as he's effective he wasn't our top player, he could have went home and healed up when he needed too. Playing through pain is admirable but especially with fighters its not the smartest thing to do.
    I agree with you about the body breaking down over time. I also agree about the payday. I love hockey but the NHL is a business. Prust had to take that payday for him to have some financial security the rest of his life after hockey.

vCash
    This kid is big and can throw..little wobbly on the skates at times but he will keep teams honest.. Cant wait to see McIlrath (when he comes up) as well.. two guys about the same size (6'4" 230) who will throw bombs. Prust was great but we all know that guys like him dont last forever in the NHL..

[B]New York Yankees 27 World Championships.....need I say more?
    Oakland Raiders 3 Super Bowl Victories/rest of the AFC West 3 Super Bowl Wins