Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Rangers should be on that list.

They missed out on Greinke, lost Hamilton, traded Young, lost Napoli, lost Mike Adams and Koji Uehara and basically picked up a one-dimensional DH in Berkman, an aging catcher coming off a career year in Pierzynski and a good reliever in Soria, who won't play half the season. They still haven't addressed a rotation that needed to use Scott Feldman, trade for Ryan Dempster and sign Roy Oswalt last year either. There are unknown factors now in the outfield and 1B still appears to be a free-for-all.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bowman53 View Post
    I'm also not sure what the plan is in Colorado.
    Believe me. I have no ****ing clue either. Its the owners not willing to spend some more money on pitching. I disagree with only Tulo, Cargo, and Josh. We got Dex, Colvin, Pacheco and Rosario that can hit. We just need to be better defensively and hope some pitchers figure it out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    Rangers should be on that list.

They missed out on Greinke, lost Hamilton, traded Young, lost Napoli, lost Mike Adams and Koji Uehara and basically picked up a one-dimensional DH in Berkman, an aging catcher coming off a career year in Pierzynski and a good reliever in Soria, who won't play half the season. They still haven't addressed a rotation that needed to use Scott Feldman, trade for Ryan Dempster and sign Roy Oswalt last year either. There are unknown factors now in the outfield and 1B still appears to be a free-for-all.
    Trading Young was a really good move for them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tp13baby View Post
    Believe me. I have no ****ing clue either. Its the owners not willing to spend some more money on pitching. I disagree with only Tulo, Cargo, and Josh. We got Dex, Colvin, Pacheco and Rosario that can hit. We just need to be better defensively and hope some pitchers figure it out.
    They should probably trade Cargo while people still think hes good

vCash
    Lol so the Yankees should've blown past the luxury tax line and the Orioles shouldn't move the terrible fielding Adam Jones because people were dumb enough to give him a gold glove? This article is pretty wrong IMO. Any pink hat fan could've written this.

vCash
    I'm thrilled the Cardinals didn't unload their pitching surplus for some middle infielders.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sexicano31 View Post
    They should probably trade Cargo while people still think hes good
    Might as well trade Tulo then...

vCash
    Trading Young was a really good move for them
    Possibly. Possibly not.

On one hand, they lost a utility player that could play every infield position. The fact he was a veteran leader in clubhouse has to count for something also. I can't call the $6m savings a win, though, since it really wasn't used on any upgrades this offseason (so far). Josh Lindblom wasn't exactly a huge return either.

The only thing the trade really has done is free up some room on the roster for the young guys. but Jon Daniels has already stated that Profar and possibly Olt will be starting at AAA.

All in all, I think people are judging Young's poor year last year and chalking it up as a positive that he's off the team, however, Michael brought more to the team than just stats. If someone else can step up this year and fill his shoes, then he probably won't be missed that much. If Young does bounce back a bit and our young guys struggle without a lot of veteran leadership, however, then losing Young was a loss for this team.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by adab View Post
    3) The Cardinals are in a funny place. First off the no longer get to play the Astros a whole bunch of times and artificially inflate their winning per centage. This is a team with some big concerns on the horizon, namely Adam Wainwright's pending FA. They believe they have a core of young of pitching studs and hope this will work out. But I believe it's always good to have a back plan and should have signed Carlos Villeneuava who ended up with the Cubs. He' can be an effective starter and can help out in the pen.
    What?
    Cards record against the Astros
    2012 - 11-4
    Pirates and Reds?
    22-10

10-5
    Reds and Brewers?
    21-8

5-10
    Brewers and Reds?
    17-13

That is so false. Everyone else plays them too and everyone else beats them too. You have to beat the bad teams when you play them if you think you have a chance to win. I have no idea where you came up with this.

And how is a team with a top 5 farm system a team with big concerns on the horizon? Wainwright could walk and there are a ton of arms to replace him. It's the same thing with Pujols leaving. It won't kill the team because we have internal replacements. And let me remind you that the Cardinals won the World Series when we didn't have Wainwright at all. Losing him won't kill us. We have Joe Kelly, Shelby Miller, Lance Lynn, Jaime Garcia, Carlos Martinez, Jon Gast, Trevor Rosnethall, etc. There are a ton of arms to replace him if he decides to walk.

We have too much pitching depth, it wouldn't make any sense to sign any back-end starters.

Our current OD rotation is

1. Wainwright
    2. Carpenter
    3. Lynn
    4. Miller
    5. Westbrook

2.97 FIP Jaime Garcia rejoins the rotation in May. Joe Kelly, Trevor Rosenthall, Jon Gast, etc are all capable of starting this season. We have TOO many starters. Rosenthall, Kelly (or Lynn) etc will be in the bullpen this season but will start in the event of any other injuries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tp13baby View Post
    Might as well trade Tulo then...
    They should. The Rockies are no where close to competing anytime soon and Tulowitzki is currently in the prime of his career. By the time the Rockies can build a contender, Tulowitzki could very well be a liability because he will be old enough to the point where you could expect him to be in decline and be making $20,000,000 a season on that current contract.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    They should. The Rockies are no where close to competing anytime soon and Tulowitzki is currently in the prime of his career. By the time the Rockies can build a contender, Tulowitzki could very well be a liability because he will be old enough to the point where you could expect him to be in decline and be making $20,000,000 a season on that current contract.
    I'd keep him

Even if he gets hurt a lot. His contract is HUGE, and he is the franchise star. They wouldn't get enough in a trade for him to justify moving him. His contract is too large for an injured player.

And he can stay at short...for basically ever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    I'd keep him

Even if he gets hurt a lot. His contract is HUGE, and he is the franchise star. They wouldn't get enough in a trade for him to justify moving him. His contract is too large for an injured player.

And he can stay at short...for basically ever.
    That's fair. I just took a glance at their farm system and their current team and neither look good. I don't think the odds of them passing the Dodgers and Giants anytime soon is likely. I would think trading Gonzalez and Tulowitzki could initiate a good rebuilding effort. Maybe not this off-season, but perhaps next.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    what?
    I think it meant to say, The bigger miss was NOT overpaying for Melky.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12