Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

2013 - Mariners Lineup

With the recent acquisitions of both Morales and Morse, our lineup is going to look quite different. Thought we could use a common thread to discuss possible lineups.

For the sake of my first post I'm assuming we're going forward with our current roster and that each player is healthy.

My ideal lineup today... I like having Montero before Seager because it provides Montero with more protection.

1. Ackley - 2B (L)
    2. Guti - CF (R)
    3. Morse - LF (R)
    4. Morales - DH (S)
    5. Montero - C (R)
    6. Seager - 3B (L)
    7. Smoak - 1B (S)
    8. Saunders - RF (L)
    9. Ryan - SS (R)

If Smoak doesn't pan out then I'd go with this... Seager, Ackley, Morales and Morse could all play first, but it seems we have more backup options in the outfield than infield, so I'd move Morse to first.

1. Ackley - 2B
    2. Guti - CF
    3. Morse - 1B
    4. Morales - DH
    5. Montero - C
    6. Seager - 3B
    7. Bay/Ibanez - LF
    8. Saunders - RF
    9. Ryan - SS
    Last edited by Boozerguy47; 01-16-2013 at 09:23 PM.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."
    http://dynamik-farr.deviantart.com/

vCash
    VS RHP
    1. Ackley - 2B
    2. Seager - 3B
    3. Morse - LF
    4. Morales - DH
    5. Montero - C
    6. Saunders - RF
    7. Smoak - 1B
    8. Guti - CF
    9. Ryan - SS

Vs LHP
    1. Ackley - 2B
    2. Guti - CF
    3. Seager - 3B
    4. Morse - LF
    5. Montero - C
    6. Morales - 1B
    7. Saunders - RF
    8. Wells/Smoak - DH
    9. Ryan - SS

I think we bring in a catcher to play against either RHP or LHP and kind of platoon with Smoak and let Montero get some days at DH.

I am also kind of conflicted on where to put the MOTO guys vs LHP. The reason i did what I did is so we dont have a 3-4 righties in a row, then 2-3 lefties behind them.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    I updated my original lineup by adding in which side each player hits from.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."

vCash
    Might as well stick Smoak in the outfield too.

You guys realize how silly that sounds?
    I'm In.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post

Well this is the only way to get them all in the lineup.

vCash
    Should have just kept Jaso and stuck him in the OF. No glove, no power, but a great approach at the plate. That would have made a few others happy LMAO.

vCash

Remind me how our "pitching and defense" scheme worked out over the last decade.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozerguy47 View Post
    Remind me how our "pitching and defense" scheme worked out over the last decade.
    How about I remind you if how San Francisco's did. Two World Series with a bad offense.

The difference is the talent. The mariners are more talented on paper than a lot of teams but haven't ever had their guys put it all together at the same time. The Giants have. The Rays have.

I am expecting a .500 season with or without John Jaso but I don't think Morse will be why they are a .500+ team.

It'll have to be everyone blossoming on their own to achieve success. Ackley, Saunders, Montero, Seager. Yaddda yaddda
    Last edited by Ian.; 01-17-2013 at 07:52 AM.

vCash
    How about I remind you if how San Francisco's did. Two World Series with a bad offense.

The difference is the talent. The mariners are more talented on paper than a lot of teams but haven't ever had their guys put it all together at the same time. The Giants have. The Rays have.

I am expecting a .500 season with or without John Jaso but I don't think Morse will be why they are a .500+ team.

It'll have to be everyone blossoming on their own to achieve success. Ackley, Saunders, Montero, Seager. Yaddda yaddda
    A bad offense that includes Buster Posey, Panda, Melky, and Pagan. Not even comparable
    Last edited by jej; 01-17-2013 at 12:06 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    A bad defense that includes Buster Posey, Panda, Melky, and Pagan. Not even comparable
    My apologies.

Not a good offense. Middle of the pack.

This team can be a good offense if the players with the high ceilings can contribute. That's exactly what happened to the Giants and A's.

Pitching and defense is still extremely important. But hitting, pitching and defense is what builds a successful team. You need all three.

Mike Morse is not a great hitter. He's not a good hitter. He's a mediocre hitter that cannot play defense.

The Giants were last in the major leagues in home runs last year.

The Mariners hit 16 less home runs than the Tigers last year.

Yeah, you don't need home runs to be successful. You need production. Something the Mariners struggle with every year as of late and the most productive player they had is now playing for a division rival.

vCash
    Mediocre? Really?
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champs

vCash
    Yes. Unless you can find a different adjective in between bad and alright.

A good hitter is someone who knows when a ball is a ball, gets on base WITH power.

Morse swings at 36% of pitches out of the zone and walked less times than he hit home runs.

He's primed for a decline. A big one

vCash
    My apologies.

Not a good offense. Middle of the pack.

This team can be a good offense if the players with the high ceilings can contribute. That's exactly what happened to the Giants and A's.

Pitching and defense is still extremely important. But hitting, pitching and defense is what builds a successful team. You need all three.

Mike Morse is not a great hitter. He's not a good hitter. He's a mediocre hitter that cannot play defense.

The Giants were last in the major leagues in home runs last year.

The Mariners hit 16 less home runs than the Tigers last year.

Yeah, you don't need home runs to be successful. You need production. Something the Mariners struggle with every year as of late and the most productive player they had is now playing for a division rival.
    Yeah, I agree about not needing HR to be productive. That's a common assumption that some people make. But getting on base is more important. Fact.

But still, SFs offense was much better than us .

What was our team line? Like .240/.295/.380 or something?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Yeah, I agree about not needing HR to be productive. That's a common assumption that some people make. But getting on base is more important. Fact.

But still, SFs offense was much better than us .

What was our team line? Like .240/.295/.380 or something?
    So isn't that why Jaso is more valuable to us than Morse?

I think the Mariners will take a step forward and win more than 81 games. With John Jaso or with Mike Morse. I think it's the other players that bring them to that level though.

Sadly, if Morse hits .280/.315/.460 with 21 home runs, people will attribute the twam's success to him and not the improvements of Ackley, Saunders, Seager and Montero.

vCash
    So isn't that why Jaso is more valuable to us than Morse?........
    Ian.. it depends on which Jaso you get.. the .224/.298/.354 from 2011.. or the .276/.394/.456 one from 2012. The fact of the matter is, Morse has supplied superior numbers across the board for the last three years and is a VASTLY superior run producer than Jaso. In other words.. Consistent offensive output is what the Mariners can expect from Morse. What would have been expected from Jaso?. Pick a year... The Mariners biggest problem has been scoring runs. John Jaso wasn't part of the solution to that problem in 2012. He wasn't part of the solution by a LONG SHOT.... <shrugs>...

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast