Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    The issue is less that they swapped Jaso specifically for Morse, more that they swapped 3 years of a pretty valuable catcher for one year of a 1B/DH type (who I guess can try to masquerade as a LFer again) and in the process made one of the three teams ahead of them in that division even better.
    I really don't view Jaso as a full time Catcher more as a platoon player also doesn't really have that strong of an arm which is why the Rays got rid him for a troubled reliever.

vCash
    Morse
    Morales
    Smoak
    Montero
    ... Could be a pretty decent lineup

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozerguy47 View Post
    That is true, but you have to realize Jaso only played against righties last year. Now we have Zunino (one of the top young catchers in the league) who will likely be in the bigs by 2014. Montero is taking over the starting role behind the plate. And yes, Jaso could DH, but he would likely be behind Smoak and Morales for at-bats.

Jaso is a great situational player, but he isn't someone who can start every game. While Morse's D isn't the best, he can flat out hit lefties and righties.
    Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    I really don't view Jaso as a full time Catcher more as a platoon player also doesn't really have that strong of an arm which is why the Rays got rid him for a troubled reliever.
    Yeah, most of that is true. Hell, I love Morse's bat and I agree that Jaso is overrated by a lot of people to a certain degree, but it still doesn't make sense for a 75 win team (or whatever they were) that didn't make any real significant upgrades elsewhere to give anyone reason to believe they're in the same conversation as Texas/LA/Oakland to trade for one year of a 1B/DH. I mean, Cole for Jaso straight up makes a lot more sense to me than involving Washington. Sure they're already stocked with pitching prospects, but in that situation having another top prospect to trade seems a lot more valuable to me than Morse for a season where even the most optimistic projections would put them in 3rd place in their division.

vCash
    Seattle gets yet another OF/1B type player.
    why?
    they have Michael Saunders, who should be a regular.
    they already have Smoak, even if he deserves to lose playing time.
    they signed Jason Bay, and I would think want to at lease give him an opportunity.
    they signed Raul Ibanez, and maybe he is more of a bench bat, but could be a DH option.
    they traded for Kendrys Morales, and he will be a regular.
    they also have other options like Mike Carp, Eric Thames, Casper Wells.

Morse just wasn't necessary to acquire.

vCash
    So essentially the Nats traded Norris, Malone, Morse, and Peacock for Gio.

vCash
    M's are gonna win 77 games I say

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 2009mvp View Post
    Yeah, most of that is true. Hell, I love Morse's bat and I agree that Jaso is overrated by a lot of people to a certain degree, but it still doesn't make sense for a 75 win team (or whatever they were) that didn't make any real significant upgrades elsewhere to give anyone reason to believe they're in the same conversation as Texas/LA/Oakland to trade for one year of a 1B/DH. I mean, Cole for Jaso straight up makes a lot more sense to me than involving Washington. Sure they're already stocked with pitching prospects, but in that situation having another top prospect to trade seems a lot more valuable to me than Morse for a season where even the most optimistic projections would put them in 3rd place in their division.
    Yeah, you bring up a good point about only having Morse under control for one year. Morales is in the same situation.

However, you also have to keep in mind that if both Morales and Morse are performing well, the Ms have a couple of options. One, resign one or both players. Two, look to trade them and you can easily get back more value than you initially gave up (Vargas and Jaso). Three, you can hope both players do great and if you don't resign them, take the draft picks.

Bringing in these two guys will provide some protection to the other guys in the lineup and an overall boost in confidence.

Worst case, both players struggle and have down years.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."
    http://dynamik-farr.deviantart.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    Seattle gets yet another OF/1B type player.
    why?
    they have Michael Saunders, who should be a regular.
    they already have Smoak, even if he deserves to lose playing time.
    they signed Jason Bay, and I would think want to at lease give him an opportunity.
    they signed Raul Ibanez, and maybe he is more of a bench bat, but could be a DH option.
    they traded for Kendrys Morales, and he will be a regular.
    they also have other options like Mike Carp, Eric Thames, Casper Wells.

Morse just wasn't necessary to acquire.
    Morse is a major upgrade over the majority of the guys you list. Carp, Thames, Wells, Bay and Ibanez could be let go with little to no consequence financially. Morse will likely end up in the outfield. The only chance I see him playing first is if Smoak struggles.

I don't particularly see anything wrong with bringing in a guy who will force others to up their game if they want to make the team.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."

vCash
    before this I would have assumed it was Jason at catcher with Montero at DH and others at 1B/OF. now with Jason gone, who is the catcher? Montero? maybe this puts Montero at catcher, with Morales at DH? that could put Smoak at 1B and Morse in the OF, or Morse at 1B is Smoak struggles.
    while it does make Seattle better than they were, still no where near contenders with the other teams in the NL West.

vCash
    AL west, and hey we could actually be above .500 this year with HOUSTON in our division. This move should just give more power to the lineup. Maybe they are gathering these guys to use as trade chips for a deadline deal.

vCash
    This is the first time in A WHILE that i can actually say the M's offense isnt horrible

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sretep75 View Post
    This is the first time in A WHILE that i can actually say the M's offense isnt horrible
    Haha. It has indeed been far too long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaulding751 View Post
    Morse
    Morales
    Smoak
    Montero
    ... Could be a pretty decent lineup
    Not really. Smoak sucks. Montero was disappointing and Morales is decent I guess?

vCash
    but hey they got Jason Bay, he's MONEY.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nirvana235 View Post
    Not really. Smoak sucks. Montero was disappointing and Morales is decent I guess?
    Montero is also 23

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast