Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Also, their WAR/game for their respective careers is ~.017 for Jaso, and ~.013 for Morse.

WAR/150 is ~2.55 for Jaso and ~1.95 for Morse.

Not a HUGE gap when you consider the fact that Jaso is playing mainly against RHP, and the automatic bump he gets from catching.
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Congrats to the M's.. they absolutely killed in this deal... Adding Michael Morse extends the offensive lineup to five or six deep. The Mariners finished last in the American League in, total hits, OBP, OPS, runs scored, slugging percent and total bases, these additions will vastly improve the weakest part of the club.. and not cost any of the top five prospects.. Excellent job by Jack Z..

vCash
    See i have no problem with it from the Offense side but to get Morales,Morse,Montero and Smoak all onto the field is going to be comical Defense wise unless we get Bourn i know it will cost us our 1st round pick but he is still a nice player.

vCash
    Sounds like Morse is excited to come back. He talked about getting back out there with Saunders and some of the other guys he played with in Tacoma and Seattle. He also asked Jack how the shorter fence is looking.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."
    http://dynamik-farr.deviantart.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A.Mopp View Post
    instead of signing Bourn id rather just keep our payroll flexibility for next offseason
    Well put. Let Guti and Saunders hold it down.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeronimoSon View Post
    Congrats to the M's.. they absolutely killed in this deal... Adding Michael Morse extends the offensive lineup to five or six deep. The Mariners finished last in the American League in, total hits, OBP, OPS, runs scored, slugging percent and total bases, these additions will vastly improve the weakest part of the club.. and not cost any of the top five prospects.. Excellent job by Jack Z..
    Interesting way to look at it, but I am not sure you are aware of how well Jaso hit.

I am kind of in the middle. Morse is probs a better hitter, but Jaso is not slouch at all

vCash
    ^ Jaso can't hit every pitcher in the game. Morse can. Neither Morse or Jaso is good defensively.

Despite only being under one year of control, Morse has the potential to have much more value than Jaso who wouldn't be anything more than a pinch hitter once Zunino is here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Interesting way to look at it, but I am not sure you are aware of how well Jaso hit.

I am kind of in the middle. Morse is probs a better hitter, but Jaso is not slouch at all
    If Morse could play Defense everyone would love this move though because Morse has the potential for more power and has shown to hit 30 bombs.

vCash
    I realize that and agree. But Jaso WAS more valuable last year.

There are arguments for both sides, and I personally dont think it will have much impact on the team, good or bad.

vCash
    Yes.. I'm familiar with John Jaso from his days with the Rays.. He's a middling backstop who doesn't do anything particularly well. He doesn't hit for much power (5-10 HR's/ yr) or average (.250'ish), he shouldn't be permitted to enter the stadium when the opposition is starting a lefty.. and he's close to his ARB years, so his contract will start to rise..

In short.. the Mariners got the best slugging position player on the market (in trade) and got him for a platoon catcher and a box of David Sunflower Seeds.. This is a good deal for the M's.

vCash
    Yes.. I'm familiar with John Jaso from his days with the Rays.. He's a middling backstop who doesn't do anything particularly well. He doesn't hit for much power (5-10 HR's/ yr) or average (.250'ish), he shouldn't be permitted to enter the stadium when the opposition is starting a lefty.. and he's close to his ARB years, so his contract will start to rise..

In short.. the Mariners got the best slugging position player on the market (in trade) and got him for a platoon catcher and a box of David Sunflower Seeds.. This is a good deal for the M's.
    Great post. I am loving this trade more and more, and I like Morse's reaction. I bet we could re up him for a reasonable cost if he succeeds. My only wish is that we kept Olivo and traded him to Oakland instead LOL.

vCash

HR and AVG are not the most important things there are. Not even close. Look at his OBP, and even slugging last year. He has gap power, and takes a walk like a fricken champ. He is better than he was with the Rays also

vCash
    Saunders plays defense well enough and has been slowly improving his offense to the point where he should be able to be more than a hole in the offense. Getting Bourn, imho, has the real potential to become Chone Figgins, part dieux. Bourn is a speed guy that relies on his speed for his offense and is now into his 30's. Look at the last half of 2012 for a better idea of what happens to a speed guy when he loses his wheels (from .311/.366/.451 in the first half to .225/.325/.311) Something is SERIOUSLY wrong with this picture...

vCash
    He still couldn't hit a lefty to save his soul.. terrible splits..

vCash
    HR and AVG are not the most important things there are. Not even close. Look at his OBP, and even slugging last year. He has gap power, and takes a walk like a fricken champ. He is better than he was with the Rays also
    HR and AVG are pretty damn important to us though if you consider how little of it we have had the last 8 years. Love Jaso, but he isn't going to hit .290 with 30 homers. Morse stays healthy and he could. Low risk high reward trade here. Not a Mariner fan in here that doesnt love Jaso, but look at the big picture and this is a win win trade. Platoon C that might not have a spot as Zunino could make the team out of spring training for a MOTO bat.

Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast