Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Miguel Olivo is available.

LOL

I would die if the M's resigned that *******

vCash
    All of the available catchers are horrendous.

Smooth move Jack!

vCash
    Lets just see what Morse does first before calling this a terrible move i can see both sides to this but if Morse puts up his 2011 numbers i think this is a good move.

Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    All of the available catchers are horrendous.

Smooth move Jack!
    True but we were going to transition to Zunino in like a year anyways so any Catcher we got would of been a stop gap.
    Last edited by NateyB24; 01-18-2013 at 03:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    I feel like only one of Morse and Morales will be back next year tho, so we may have essentially traded Vargas and Jaso for a year of Morales, and Morse.

If Smoak figures it out, theres even more of a problem. What if he hits .260/.325/.440, Morales hits .275/.330/.470, and Morse hits .280/.335/.470. Who stays and who goes? Only two of them can be here, chances are its Smoak and Morse because even if Morales is better than Smoak, he is a lot cheaper and younger.

I am just a little confused more than mad. I want to know how this will effect the team in the future
    I would say this is a great problem to have. You can always flip one for prospects or look into moving them to another position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    Seems like we are acquiring guys who can hit but can't play Defense lol.

So we got Ibanez,Smoak,Montero,Morales,Bay now Morse have no idea what Z's plan here is or how we are going to play them.
    Smoak is one of the better defending 1st baseman in the league dude. It's about the only reason we can justify his presence on the 25 man roster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozerguy47 View Post
    Not that we want to consider that 2013 won't be our year, but if we don't think we can extend Morales and Morse, we could trade them this summer. Pretty sure it'd be a cake walk to get something of similar or better value to Jaso and Vargas.
    Also dont forget both of them should be able to net draft picks if we offer them qualifying offers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drew_ellis_23 View Post
    Or they mash and we send them qualifying offers and get draft pick compensation. That is if they mash.
    I believe their performances last year would effect if we can get draft picks next year. I think the system works as being 1 year off. Dont quote me, but they should still be ok for qualifying offers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kpak76 View Post
    I would say this is a great problem to have. You can always flip one for prospects or look into moving them to another position.
    Oh I agree for sure. But wouldn't it make sense to fill multiple positions with one good player rather than one spot with 2-3 good players, while having a hole elsewhere?
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Iansnightout View Post
    I've let this trade sink in and it's still not a good move and you absolutely cannot justify this deal. In any way, shape or form.

Unless they have a good understanding of what they can get for Morse at the deadline and its better than Jaso, this is a downgrade.

I'm sorry, but you guys are completely reverting back to the old school way of baseball that I absolutely can't stand. As Brodie said, you know it's not a good trade when you have to use RBI as a positive in any argument.

This is a bummer trade, but it's not a killer. I think it's either Jack not properly understanding advanced metrics or not caring and doing to shut the fans up that complain that we don't hit home runs. Either way, it's kind of frightening.
    I'll take a stab at defending this move.

1) we kept all of our top prospects
    2) its a much better deal to fill the MOTO bat than the Justin Upton deal. Granted Upton would have stayed longer, but I just think there are too many questions about Upton. Plus refer back to #1
    3) Jaso would have been moved either this deadline or next offseason anyways as he just doesn't fit any needs on this club. Why not now and try and solve one of the biggest question marks we have had. If Morse succeeds we can talk about extending him, if not we cut him loose and call it a loss, its not an unacceptable loss also.
    4) high upside on this deal
    5) Jaso is too repetative on this roster. He would need AB's beyond what he does as a C.
    6) Jaso defense is beyond subpar. You have to think of why the Mariners played Monterro AND a god awful Olivio more often than Jaso behind the plate.
    7) the only real postion Jaso has left is DH and we are beyond crowded there.

There are reasons on why this trade was a bad trade too, but really I am holding judgement until I see the product on the field. My initial reaction is not a bad one, but I can see how it can come back on us, but I don't feel this was a franchise crippler.

vCash
    Oh I agree for sure. But wouldn't it make sense to fill multiple positions with one good player rather than one spot with 2-3 good players, while having a hole elsewhere?
    Well Jaso doesn't exactly fill many holes on the roster also. He is a C/DH and mostly a DH. If Monterro and Olivo is catching more games than you then you really don't belong behind the plate.

vCash
    Well Jaso doesn't exactly fill many holes on the roster also. He is a C/DH and mostly a DH. If Monterro and Olivo is catching more games than you then you really don't belong behind the plate.
    I don't think the defense had anything to do with it. He played less cause Wedge is an idiot.

He is a better defender than Montero, and a better receiver than LOlivo.

vCash
    I don't think the defense had anything to do with it. He played less cause Wedge is an idiot.

He is a better defender than Montero, and a better receiver than LOlivo.
    Is he though? he didn't seem to have the arm that Monterro did, though probably had better footwork, and was a slightly better reciever than Olivo. Not sure on how his gamecalling was though. Jaso is on the right side of a platoon split, but like others are saying 1 year of a potential full time player is better than 3 years of a part time player whos time would have come short really soon.

vCash
    http://t.co/gJKMFxsi

Man, I'm gonna miss that ugly ****er. **** you Jack.
    I'm shaving my beard off tonight now, in memory of John Jaso.

vCash
    Is he though? he didn't seem to have the arm that Monterro did, though probably had better footwork, and was a slightly better reciever than Olivo. Not sure on how his gamecalling was though. Jaso is on the right side of a platoon split, but like others are saying 1 year of a potential full time player is better than 3 years of a part time player whos time would have come short really soon.
    Jaso: 1681 innings, -5 rSB, -7 DRS
    Olivo: Last ~1700 innings,1 rSB, -9 DRS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Punkindrublic03 View Post
    Miguel Olivo is available.

LOL

I would die if the M's resigned that *******
    Dude, not funny.

Morse is a DH/1B. Mariners have 3 1B, 1 C. You could run Jaso out to LF and he'd be just as bad as Morse there so that's not really an argument. The only way Morse fits better than Jaso is that he compliments Morales who isn't very good against LHP.

Page 15 of 23 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast