Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Yes. You are ignoring every other stat and acting like WAR tells you everything.

You are ignoring the fact that Jaso gets an automatic bump for playing C, while Morse gets points taken away for being a corner OF/1B.

You are also ignoring the fact that Jaso played solely against RHP, who he crushes, while hitting like a single a player against LHP. Not to mention the rest of their careers overall which tell you that Jaso is unlikely to repeat what he did last year.
    This, Jaso was a platoon type player which i was going to bring up.

vCash
    Isn't Morse a free agent at the end of the year? The M's just made their division rivals better to...add to their crop of 1B/DH types? I mean I love Morse's bat and I do think Jaso gets a bit overrated to some extent, but I'm still trying to find the logic behind this one for Seattle.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jej View Post
    Yes. You are ignoring every other stat and acting like WAR tells you everything.

You are ignoring the fact that Jaso gets an automatic bump for playing C, while Morse gets points taken away for being a corner OF/1B.

You are also ignoring the fact that Jaso played solely against RHP, who he crushes, while hitting like a Single-A player against LHP. Not to mention the rest of their careers overall which tell you that Jaso is unlikely to repeat what he did last year.
    Except you're ignoring the fact that Jaso actually scored negative in dWAR and then posted a 3.4 oWAR. Morse posted a 0.9 oWAR and a -1.0 dWAR. Jaso offensively had more value than Morse in less playing time. And since you don't seem to put much stock into WAR, Jaso had a wOBA of .372 last year while Morse had a wOBA of .340.

vCash
    Keep in mind the Mariners have two of the most promising young catchers in the game. Those would be Montero and Zunino. Yes, Zunino likely won't see big league action for many more months, but Montero will still be here to catch the majority of the games. Morse could always play first if Smoak can't figure it out by May or June.

Also, the Ms could always trade Morse and likely end up with a more valuable piece than Jaso.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."
    http://dynamik-farr.deviantart.com/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    This, Jaso was a platoon type player which i was going to bring up.
    But as a platoon player he had more value than Morse who played full time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boozerguy47 View Post
    Keep in mind the Mariners have two of the most promising young catchers in the game. Those would be Montero and Zunino. Yes, Zunino likely won't see big league action for many more months, but Montero will still be here to catch the majority of the games. Morse could always play first if Smoak can't figure it out by May or June.

Also, the Ms could always trade Morse and likely end up with a more valuable piece than Jaso.
    Montero can't play catcher but Jaso really can't either i don't trust his arm to control base runners.

vCash
    Wait, are they just desperately adding big league pieces at the expense of their future in an effort to convince Felix to sign another extension? That would be OK to a certain degree, but doing it for a guy like J Upton certainly makes a lot more sense than for a year of Mike Morse.

vCash
    Jaso was likely the odd man out. Wedge and Jack Z want Montero catching the majority of the games. That means Jaso is on the bench. Sure, Jaso could DH, but that didn't look likely with Smoak and Morales taking most of those at-bats.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NateyB24 View Post
    Montero can't play catcher but Jaso really can't either i don't trust his arm to control base runners.
    He is learning, but as we all know Wedge and Jack have told him that he is the catcher for the future, at least until Zunino is ready.

Pretty sure the Ms have proven over the last decade that pitching and defense doesn't win games.

vCash
    Jaso fits in PERFECT in Oakland and makes them that much better.

What a terrible deal for the M's, makes no sense. If Montero can't be avg at catcher, they are ****ed.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123