Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    njnets is offline JerseyStrongBrooklynReady
    vCash

Brooklyn Vs Atlanta

Did not see a thread for the game yet so I figured I would get one going.

Keys for tonight's game:

- Josh Smith is INACTIVE due to conduct detrimental to the team

- Gerald Wallace is a game time decision

- Nets riding a 7 game winning streak

- Hawks coming off a 40 point loss to the bulls

Just three weeks ago, the Brooklyn Nets owned a .500 record and fired their coach. Now, they're in fourth place in the Eastern Conference and possess the NBA's longest active winning streak.

The Atlanta Hawks, meanwhile, were 10 games over the break-even mark on New Year's Day but have earned just one win since.

In the opener of a home-and-home series, the Nets go for an eighth consecutive victory Wednesday night against the struggling Hawks as Brooklyn's Joe Johnson faces his former team for the first time.

The Nets (23-15), who are in the midst of their longest winning streak since a 14-game run late in the 2005-06 season, are 9-1 since P.J. Carlesimo took over after Avery Johnson was fired on Dec. 27, with the team 14-14. Brooklyn is averaging 102.9 points under Carlesimo after averaging 94.5 in its first 28 games.

Tuesday's 113-106 win over Toronto marked the sixth time the Nets topped the century mark under Carlesimo, something they did seven times with Johnson at the helm. Brook Lopez had a game-high 22 points while Deron Williams and Johnson each added 21.

"Our confidence is high right now, definitely as a group," said Williams, who averages 16.9 points and 7.6 assists. "And when you're winning, when you're having fun, I think everybody picks their game up a little bit and feels like they have to if they want to join in, if they don't want to be left out."

Johnson, who appeared in six straight All-Star games as a Hawk from 2007-12 before being traded last July, has been instrumental to the winning streak. He's 20 of 42 from 3-point range while averaging 20.1 points in the last seven. The Nets are 14-3 when he scores at least 18, compared to going 9-12 when he gets 17 or fewer.

"We're just kind of feeding off each other, man," said Johnson, who is hitting 38.5 percent of his 3-pointers on the season. "We're in a nice rhythm right now and hopefully we can keep it this way. It's a lot of fun to watch and I'm sure guys are having a great time in this locker room."

The Hawks (21-16) have won 10 of 12 in the series but have struggled of late, losing six of seven overall. They may have hit rock bottom in a 97-58 loss at Chicago on Monday.

Atlanta scored a franchise-low 20 points in the first half, and only Jeff Teague's layup with 7.9 seconds left prevented the final total from being the team's lowest ever. Mike Scott led the Hawks with 10 off the bench as no starter scored in double figures.

"This was very, very embarrassing," coach Larry Drew said. "From where we were as a team to where we're at right now, we have lost all sense of team on both ends of the floor. And why that's happened, I really can't put my finger on it."

The Hawks suspended leading scorer Josh Smith on Wednesday morning for "conduct detrimental to the team," and he will sit out this game. Smith, who averages 16.5 points, had totaled just 20 on 8-of-27 shooting his last two games.

"Clearly I am competitive and was frustrated by our recent losses," Smith said in a statement released by the team. "I understand and respect the team's actions and just want to get back on the court to do whatever is necessary to help my teammates. I apologize for letting them down and apologize to our fans for not being available for tonight's game."

The offense has hit a serious slump, averaging 85.0 points over the last seven games after putting up 97.9 during their 20-10 start. Atlanta was already giving up a 2.0 edge in rebounds per game through its first 20 contests but has since seen its deficit increase to 8.5.

The Nets will get a good look at Atlanta's possible lineup changes with the teams meeting again Friday in Brooklyn.

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/preview?gameId=400278292

I think Wallace might sit out, especially since the guy he would guard, Smith, is also out. nets should win this game tonight. too much firepower. gotta stop the guards from playing well though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekial View Post
    Commissioner Stern is stern. Stern, but fair.

Quote Originally Posted by sep11ie View Post
    You either have to deal with tornados or Snookie. Either way your gonna get sucked and blown.

vCash
    Should be a good game. I expect us to win this one, especialy if wallace returns (i hpoe so).

LETS GO NETS!!!!

vCash
    wallace is active. thats a good sign. not a great start so far.

You either have to deal with tornados or Snookie. Either way your gonna get sucked and blown.

vCash
    much better defense during the last few possessions

hump in for evans. when he doesnt rebound well, hump is better because at least he provides some offense.

vCash
    Playing like Garbage tonight.

vCash
    Some of the worst shot selection I've seen combined with absolutely no defense. I can't see us winning this one we don't know how to play any transition defense. Hope this isn't the start of another 5 game losing streak.

vCash
    Atlanta is pushing the pace and burning the Nets in transition knowing they're on the back end of a back-to-back. Guys are probably burnt out, and the Hawks are using that to their advantage. Still, some poor shots going up from a lot of guys, don't like the isolation plays either.

MAR$WAG BROOKS

vCash
    That was such a sloppy half. They better step it up in the 2nd half. It'll suck if they lose on my birthday today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsExtreme1986 View Post
    That was such a sloppy half. They better step it up in the 2nd half. It'll suck if they lose on my birthday today.
    Happy birthday!

And this is the perfect example of a trap game for the Nets. The Hawks got blown out the other night, and they want to take out revenge. Nets can't keep up. Hopefully they continue the trend of playing well in the second half

MAR$WAG BROOKS

vCash
    What a joke performance tonight. Atlanta won as soon as this game started.

vCash
    trap game indeed.

also, there transition D is horrible. they are getting torched by these young guards.

korver is making everything too.

vCash
    Well it looks like the Nets are gonna get run outta the building tonight.

vCash
    down 15. at least there not folding completely. for now at least

vCash
    The way this team is built we need 20 from Deron JJ and Brook every night if that doesnt happen we will lose. Deron has to stop shooting if hes having a bad game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rique View Post
    The way this team is built we need 20 from Deron JJ and Brook every night if that doesnt happen we will lose. Deron has to stop shooting if hes having a bad game
    Wrong.

Those 3 have scored 20 in the same game twice all year, so obviously you have no idea what you're talking about

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast