Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

My top 10 backs of all time

1. Walter Payton- Probably the 3rd most powerful back of all time. Top 5 elusiveness of all time. And actually faster than you think. Arguably the best receiving back of all time considering his era. Arguably the best blocking back of all time. Arguably the best goal line/short yardage back of all time. He could even pass. What couldn't he do? Oh, and did I mention he ran behind an even worse line than Barry Sanders.

2. Jim Brown- Really ahead of his time. The most dominant runner ever, but only played 9 seasons and the NFL didn't really become legit until the 70s. I just can't put him ahead of Payton.

3. O.J. Simpson- Only had a handful of solid years, but they were all great. Probably had the best prime of any runner ever. His 1973 season with 2000 yards in 14 games behind a poor offensive line is still the gold standard for runners.

4. Barry Sanders- The most electric runner ever. But he came out on short yardage and ran for the most negative yards in history. Still with a career 5.0 ypc his greatness is unquestioned.

5. Eric Dickerson- Still holds the single season rushing record. But this is where the drop off starts. The top 4 IMO are clearly the immortals of pro running backs. Dickerson was unquestionably a dominant runner and tough as nails to handle his extreme workload.

6. LDT- An exceptionally well rounded back. While he doesn't have the pure running skills of just about all on this list, he could do everything well. He was a modern day Walter Payton, but quite frankly just not as good.

7. Emmitt Smith- Without a doubt this man got the most bang for his buck. Yes he wasn't all that fast. Yes he wasn't all that strong. Yes he wasn't all elusive. And yes his career ypc is only 4.2, but guess what? This man is still the all time leading rusher. It DOES mean something.

8. Earl Campbell- Exceptionally powerful, but overrated. He only really lasted 3 seasons. And they weren't as dominant as the primes of Brown and Simpson, but he was still the most destructive man in NFL history. Not much lateral agility. Speed wasn't all that great. Couldn't catch, but my god he could run over you.

9. Marshall Faulk- This guy was a weapon. He didn't really have much of a carry workload and his single season career high in rushing yards is only 1359. But he was devastating in the passing game. He was the engine to the Greatest Show on Turf.

10. Adrian Peterson- I didn't just conveniently put him at #10 to round off the list. I truly believe he is number 10. This last year gave him an element of dominance that most great runners have. His 2008 campaign was real solid and some guys on this list would kill to have that season. But this last year really separated him and you have to say as far as pure rushing he's up there with Payton, Brown, Simpson and Sanders. Time will tell if he can climb the list.

Honorable Mention- Tony Dorsett.
    Last edited by Fired-Up; 01-16-2013 at 05:27 PM.

vCash
    Does Peterson have a chance to move up?

vCash
    Good list and valid arguments. I never saw Jim Brown play but he's obviously regarded highly. My list would have Peterson higher and probably include Bo Jackson (even though I cant stand him).
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
    —Arthur Schopenhauer (German philosopher, 1788-1860)

vCash
    Solid list pretty OP!

vCash
    I'm okay with the list, but not the order.

For me, it'd be:

1) Walter Payton
    2) Barry Sanders
    3) Jim Brown
    4) Emmitt Smith
    5) Eric Dickerson
    6) OJ Simpson
    7) LaDainian Tomlinson
    8) Marshall Faulk
    9) Tony Dorsett
    10) Jerome Bettis

Honorable Mention: Curtis Martin

Adrian Peterson certainly has a chance to make his way up that list, but the guy has a history of injuries, so I'm not ready to give him a top 10 spot just yet. My opinion is that he has the potential to end up at #5 if he does stay healthy.

Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

vCash
    Bo Jackson.

McGOAT

vCash
    I'm loving the Payton love but really surprised about Peterson, especially after the year he put together. Pretty hard not to have him in the top ten.
    "All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."

vCash
    Damn, I misplaced my list. I swear it was in my wallet next to my driver's license.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 34_for_life View Post
    I'm loving the Payton love but really surprised about Peterson, especially after the year he put together. Pretty hard not to have him in the top ten.
    Nothing to do with his talent. It's his tenure. He's only played 6 seasons. I put him at 10 on my list. Another dominant year next year and I could see him moving to #7 on my list. He just hasn't played long enough. IMO he's on track to crack the top 3-5.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fired-Up View Post
    Nothing to do with his talent. It's his tenure. He's only played 6 seasons. I put him at 10 on my list. Another dominant year next year and I could see him moving to #7 on my list. He just hasn't played long enough. IMO he's on track to crack the top 3-5.
    That makes sense.

vCash
    If memory serves Dickerson fumbled way on yonder too often to be that high on such a list.

6/27/09: “We expect [Rondo] to play by the rules and be a leader as a point guard. We need him to be more of a leader,” Ainge said. “There were just a couple situations where he was late this year, I don’t know if he was sitting in his car, but showed up late and the rest of the team was there. We have team rules and you have to be on time. He was fined for being late, he said he was stuck in traffic, and it’s just unacceptable.”

Some jerks never learn.....

vCash
    I wonder how high up that list Bo Jackson would have been if he had stayed healthy...
    RAIDERS. ARE. BACK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mberr View Post
    I wonder how high up that list Bo Jackson would have been if he had stayed healthy...

vCash
    agree... AP will move up

"Killer Instinct"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mberr View Post
    1 or 1a

"Killer Instinct"

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast