Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    This from Toronto Sun, Jan 8, 2013:

When J.A. Happ arrived last year following a trade with Houston, he wasn’t too pleased to open his career with the Jays in the bullpen.

So he won’t like the latest news.

When queried about Happ on Tuesday following R.A. Dickey’s news conference, Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos said there’s a possibility he will open the season in the minor leagues — probably at Buffalo — instead of in the bullpen.

The thing is, the Jays still look upon Happ as being a starter. As it stands now he would be their sixth best starter on the team and that leaves him without a job in the rotation. However, they would like to keep him stretched out as a starter in case of injury to one of their starting five and that means he’s likely headed to Buffalo to start there instead of being used as a long reliever in the bullpen.

“Right now he’d be our sixth starter and he’ll be used as a starter in spring training,” Anthopoulos said. “Then he would be competing for a spot in the bullpen and he does have options (to be sent to the minor leagues) left. Right now we have a starting five going in. He’s that sixth guy and could end up in the ’pen but in a more unlikely scenario, he could get optioned.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Billyen View Post
    Hmmm...I wonder. I don't think agents are that ballsy to do that with-out a ok from the player. Also, it took him a while to come back. Plus, why not fire the agent?

I think he ok'd it and if AA gave in...all good.

If it was me and my agent said something as bad as that...I'd be on twitter saying that's not what I want...calling AA saying sorry and doing a few media interviews show how much a striaght up guy I am.

The timing is just all wrong.

Anyways...its done...he's back. DH anyone?
    yeah its seems obvious to me that Oliver is just trying to cover his ***.. wouldn't be surprised if the agent himself gave the okay.. he had nothing to lose by trying and if failed, just blame it on the agent

props to vick27m

"Art was my first major in college but it was too hard, so I majored in math"
    Ron Artest

vCash
    I would love to have Happ in AAA but i'm not sure how well he'd take the demotion. He was pretty pissed about not starting when we first got him last year and now ur sending him to buffalo. Yikes

If we send Happ down, it gives us a chance to carry another reliever. Maybe Jeffress if he has a good spring

props to vick27m

Ron Artest

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post
    yeah its seems obvious to me that Oliver is just trying to cover his ***.. wouldn't be surprised if the agent himself gave the okay.. he had nothing to lose by trying and if failed, just blame it on the agent
    Personally, I don't think so, because one post said that 'AA never got the feeling when talking to Oliver that he demanded a raise'.

And by the way, those pants, they belong to my dad.And they're not really pants,
    they're Lederhosen

vCash
    The best thing about Oliver is his composure. He would calmly come into a tie game with the bases loaded, throw his 89mph fastball, strike out the side and walk off like he did nothing.

vCash
    hurraay!!! santos, janssen, oliver, delibar, rogers, lincoln and happ (hopefully) sounds mighty fine to me.

Sydney, Australia but born in Exhibition Stadium
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber0104 View Post
    I would love to have Happ in AAA but i'm not sure how well he'd take the demotion. He was pretty pissed about not starting when we first got him last year and now ur sending him to buffalo. Yikes

If we send Happ down, it gives us a chance to carry another reliever. Maybe Jeffress if he has a good spring
    I'm with Happ on this.

The guy had 4 very good years in the Majors from 08-10. with '09 being amazing.
    Even the last 2 years he's given 52 ML starts.
    He's earn a #5 spot role. Which I'd like him to have honestly.

With that said it's a sucky situation for him. He's done nothing wrong and is a MLB #5 (not that thats anything to be proud of)

Now he's getting sent to AAA when players with 1 ERA less are getting million dollar 5 year deals. I'd be ticked too.

Again, I wish Ricky had more trade value.

Can I ask what peoples thoughts are on a Morrow for Stanton? I'd say we'd need to add peices?
    or Billy Butler for Morrow?
    Hey! It'S JoeyBatS

vCash
    I'm with Happ on this.

With that said it's a sucky situation for him. He's done nothing wrong and is a MLB #5 (not that thats anything to be proud of)

Now he's getting sent to AAA when players with 1 ERA less are getting million dollar 5 year deals. I'd be ticked too.

Can I ask what peoples thoughts are on a Morrow for Stanton? I'd say we'd need to add peices?
    you'd have to add a lot more than Morrow to get Stanton and we simply don't have the pieces I dont think.

as for trading morrow in general, like I said when people mentioned trading Buehrle, it would be a shame to not see what this rotation is capable of as constructed

props to vick27m

Ron Artest

vCash

As it stands right now, Morrow + two of Sanchez/ Osuna/Stroman/Nolin/Gose. And maybe all of them. It's hard to tell.
    Blue Jays Ace Todd Redmond

vCash
    I'm with Happ on this.

Morrow+ for Stanton? I'll personally drive Brandon to Pearson for that deal. Stanton is a franchise player, Morrow is a number 2 and potential ace. There values aren't even close as of right now. AA would pull the trigger in a heart if that were offered up. Happ's just gonna have to suck it up. You wanna be the fifth starter? okay, out pitch one of the other guys. Prove yourself.

vCash
    I don't really care how Happ takes the demotion, he is our 6th best starter and you always need depth over a 162 game season. I would send him to Buffalo too if I was AA.

As for Cecil, he may make a good loogy, but Loup was awesome last year and I think his delivery makes him absolutely filthy against left handers.

To be honest, i hope we still find a way to resign Brandon Lyon and trade away Brad Lincoln for a young prospect. I know we traded Snider for him, but oh well. Lyon was twice the reliever Lincoln was for us last year, and he has plenty of late inning experience.

If we did get Lyon, I would go with:

Janssen
    Santos
    Oliver
    Lyon
    Delabar
    Loup

with Rogers and Cecil battling it out for the final spot. If Cecil regains his velocity this off season he should be able to throw 90+ mph out of the bullpen in a loogy role. Rogers throws 95+ mph with a 85 mph slider but didn't dominate left handers or right handers last year. He was solid in Cleveland, but we already have Santos,Lyon and Delabar ahead of him so he isn't going to log that many innings. Cecil has dominated left handers for the past few years.

People say there is no way we give up Rogers because of what we gave up for him....but we only gave up mike Aviles and Yan Gomes for him.....2 guys that wouldn't have made our roster this year anyway, so I don't see keeping him around if he isn't one of our 7 best relievers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bartron_44 View Post
    To be honest, i hope we still find a way to resign Brandon Lyon and trade away Brad Lincoln for a young prospect. I know we traded Snider for him, but oh well. Lyon was twice the reliever Lincoln was for us last year, and he has plenty of late inning experience.
    From some of the previous quotes, it sounded like Lincoln was going to be a starter in Buffalo.

vCash
    It is looking like there will be great competition in Spring Training and as fans that should excite us. I understand people have attachments to certain players for a variety of reasons however as fans of the Blue Jays we should be hoping that the best performing players are the ones that make the team.

Wouldnt it be crazy if Happ was lights out in ST and took the #5 role from Ricky?? It is so unlikely that it is funny to talk about... and sooooo hypothetical question: Would Ricky be effective out of the pen??? I think that would be his only option if Happ were to bump him out of the rotation. I know this wont happen but what a whirlwind 12 months for Ricky if it did.

vCash
    I'm really hoping Romero can pitch like 2011. That might make us the best rotation in baseball

vCash
    I was just thinking... Know who'd look good right now in our bullpen? Tiny Tim Collins lol

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast