Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 91 to 100 of 100
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,064
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by LechWalesa View Post
    Yeah, but that doesn't make him a "douchebag" or "scum" considering the Jays would sell him down the river in a second if they no longer wanted him and were able to do so.
    Well, as I said I'm not judging him or calling him names. He was within his rights to do what he did, but it was somewhat unethical. Your comparison to the options a team could take with an under-performing player is really an apples and oranges debate.

    If Oliver had an opt-out clause or chose to retire, those would be legitimate ways to leave the team. This scheme he and his agent came up with isn't quite the same.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,285
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    Well, as I said I'm not judging him or calling him names. He was within his rights to do what he did, but it was somewhat unethical. Your comparison to the options a team could take with an under-performing player is really an apples and oranges debate.

    If Oliver had an opt-out clause or chose to retire, those would be legitimate ways to leave the team. This scheme he and his agent came up with isn't quite the same.
    Smart thing to do would have been to ask to sign an 'extension' of an option year for 2014 with a buyout the size of the raise he wanted. Also asking for it behind closed doors. Doing it that way may have gotten him the money.

    The part that puzzles me is that AA has proven in the past that he doesn't appreciate any sort of grandstanding using the media. No clue why he or his agent (depending on who you believe made this call) thought it would have any chance of working out.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    159
    vCash
    1500
    My guess is, Oliver didn't want to do it but when he saw what his agent did he just said, let's give it some time and see what happens, worse case scenario i blame the agent. Or maybe that was his agent's plan. See what happens and blame the agent if it doesn't work out.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,064
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by albertajaysfan View Post
    Smart thing to do would have been to ask to sign an 'extension' of an option year for 2014 with a buyout the size of the raise he wanted. Also asking for it behind closed doors. Doing it that way may have gotten him the money.
    Why would that have been the smart thing to do? If Oliver is wavering on whether or not to retire right now, why bother dishing out more guaranteed money to him for another year of control.

    The smart thing to do was exactly what Anthopoulos did, in this case. He had the year of control and he left the ball in Oliver's court; retire or suit up for the Blue Jays.

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,285
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    Why would that have been the smart thing to do? If Oliver is wavering on whether or not to retire right now, why bother dishing out more guaranteed money to him for another year of control.

    The smart thing to do was exactly what Anthopoulos did, in this case. He had the year of control and he left the ball in Oliver's court; retire or suit up for the Blue Jays.
    I meant from Oliver's perspective. AA made the right move based on his hand.

    edit: I obviously should have been more clear. I meant that would have been the right thing to do to attempt to get more money.

    Considering the year Oliver had last year and how successful he has been over the last 5 years he is a bargain.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,064
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by albertajaysfan View Post
    I meant from Oliver's perspective. AA made the right move based on his hand.

    edit: I obviously should have been more clear. I meant that would have been the right thing to do to attempt to get more money.

    Considering the year Oliver had last year and how successful he has been over the last 5 years he is a bargain.
    He could have tried, but I don't see the point in speculating about it since Anthopoulos was quite clear that they already had an agreement and the ball was in Oliver's court on whether or not to honor that agreement.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,285
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    He could have tried, but I don't see the point in speculating about it since Anthopoulos was quite clear that they already had an agreement and the ball was in Oliver's court on whether or not to honor that agreement.
    No need for a real discussion on it, I think we can both agree on that. The course of action chosen by Oliver and/or his agent was a poor one. AA has made it clear more times than I can count that he does not appreciate grandstanding or leaks with regards to the media.

    I was just pointing out that would have been his only chance at getting a raise. Not that it would have worked. Just would have had a higher chance of success then the method chosen. The method chosen had a 0% chance of success. Plus I think it also made AA less likely to deal him to Texas.

    Either way I am glad Oliver will be part of our bullpen this season. No free agent out there that would have been an upgrade or even a lateral move in my opinion.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    TO
    Posts
    9,557
    vCash
    1500
    I remember during a charity golf special on sports net Darren Oliver mentioning how his family was more important than money or something. He may have genuinely wanted to stay with his family.

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    T.O., Canada
    Posts
    14,628
    vCash
    1500
    I think everyone overestimates the appeal of sitting on your *** all day in your early 40's, especially when you know you can still perform at a high level.
    2013

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    159
    vCash
    1500
    I've seen an interview recently with Oliver, i think it was right after they said he's coming back that he said he closed that issue with AA some time ago by sitting with Oliver's wife and AA together and softening her to the idea of another year with Toronto.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •