Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    vCash
    Love Amir, leaves it out on the court every night, healthy or injured.

I'm happy with a front court of JV, Amir, Ed & Acy going forward.

vCash
    Amir is the toughest guy on our roster. He plays through just about anything. He is starting to gain bulk to bang down low, and he always gives you 110% when he is on the floor. I would not trade him unless we are getting back a true all-star player.

When he gets to play his true position (PF) he doesn't lack size. When we use him at the 5 though he can get over matched on the boards by huge guys like Hibbert and Lopez.

vCash
    Amir is a keeper for sure. He's the heart and soul of this team.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [x]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gwrighter View Post
    Amir is a keeper for sure. He's the heart and soul of this team.
    forget the person, who is nice, but is amir good enough to start in a respectable team?

i like the players but this doesn't stop me thinking how good they really are.

jose, amir, demar are all good guys but they are not good enough to be starters for a contender.
    they don't have the potential to be much better than they are now.

on my list of foundation players i have four players that have the potential to be starters for a contender but at this time they are not good enough for the job. actually at this time their play my be worse than demar's jose's or amir's. but again i am talking here potential.

the potential starters for a contender are:

Lowry (if he ever smarts up enough to be a chris paul type of pg, chances to succeed 20-30%)
    Davis (if he puts some more muscle and polishes his moves around the basket, chances to succeed 50-60%)
    TRoss ( if he polishes his game and increases the intensity of his performance, chances to succeed 60-70%)
    Val (if he increases his strength his aggression and polishes his game, chances to succeed 45-55%)

i think bargs had potential to be good but the team screwed up his development trying to make him something he was not. for him is to late to undo the damage of the wasted years.
    Last edited by the life; 01-18-2013 at 07:53 AM.

Champs will be champs...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the life View Post
    forget the person, who is nice, but is amir good enough to start in a respectable team?

i like the players but this doesn't stop me thinking how good they really are.

jose, amir, demar are all good guys but they are not good enough to be starters for a contender.
    they don't have the potential to be much better than they are now.

on my list of foundation players i have four players that have the potential to be starters for a contender but at this time they are not good enough for the job. actually at this time their play my be worse than demar's jose's or amir's. but again i am talking here potential.

the potential starters for a contender are:

Lowry (if he ever smarts up enough to be a chris paul type of pg, chances to succeed 20-30%)
    Davis (if he puts some more muscle and polishes his moves around the basket, chances to succeed 50-60%)
    TRoss ( if he polishes his game and increases the intensity of his performance, chances to succeed 60-70%)
    Val (if he increases his strength his aggression and polishes his game, chances to succeed 45-55%)

i think bargs had potential to be good but the team screwed up his development trying to make him something he was not. for him is to late to undo the damage of the wasted years.
    Amir Johnson is the most underrated player on this team by a wide margin(since Caldy is getting some love).

I agree they won't start on a contender but Amir isn't supposed to be a starter IMO anyways. He's a great energy big that can play heavy minutes if you need him to. In the mold of a better Taj Gibson(when he was playing good). He's also the best two-way player the Raptors have on roster currently.

I think Johnson is a keeper because the secret to being a great team is that it isn't about basketball, it's about chemistry. Johnson IMO helps build better chemistry on the team by leading by example. Placing the team before himself punishing his body for it. A player like him has a roster spot on any team, contender or not.

For starters on a contender the only two that I have faith in are Val and Ross. Davis and Lowry need to win me over still.
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Amir Johnson is the most underrated player on this team by a wide margin(since Caldy is getting some love).

I agree they won't start on a contender but Amir isn't supposed to be a starter IMO anyways. He's a great energy big that can play heavy minutes if you need him to. In the mold of a better Taj Gibson(when he was playing good). He's also the best two-way player the Raptors have on roster currently.

I think Johnson is a keeper because the secret to being a great team is that it isn't about basketball, it's about chemistry. Johnson IMO helps build better chemistry on the team by leading by example. Placing the team before himself punishing his body for it. A player like him has a roster spot on any team, contender or not.

For starters on a contender the only two that I have faith in are Val and Ross. Davis and Lowry need to win me over still.
    I agree with you that Amir Jose and Demar could be important players of the bench for a contender.
    At least we understand how much we need to upgrade this team in order to become relevant.

Champs will be champs...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the life View Post
    I agree with you that Amir Jose and Demar could be important players of the bench for a contender.
    At least we understand how much we need to upgrade this team in order to become relevant.
    The GM has his work cut out for him, that's for sure. I think the Raps are 1 or 2 key pieces away from being a contender. I say that because our impact players are rookies and still young. I do think that the top players we have can contribute on a contending team, but like you said not as starters.
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    The GM has his work cut out for him, that's for sure. I think the Raps are 1 or 2 key pieces away from being a contender. I say that because our impact players are rookies and still young. I do think that the top players we have can contribute on a contending team, but like you said not as starters.
    Just imagine if the four raptors can achieve their potential what a starting four we will have in

PG Lowry
    SG Ross

PF Davis
    C Val

We are a good SF away from being scary (but then again there are the four IFs)

Champs will be champs...

vCash
    What makes Ed Davis so much better than Amir? Is it the age difference? What happened to that poster that was trying to convince us that Ed might be prone to injuries because his Dad was?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_at_york View Post
    What makes Ed Davis so much better than Amir? Is it the age difference? What happened to that poster that was trying to convince us that Ed might be prone to injuries because his Dad was?
    imo amir johnson is outperforming ed davis

but of course ed davis is on a young cheap contract

vCash
    Where are these %s coming from lmao.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Byronicle View Post
    imo amir johnson is outperforming ed davis

but of course ed davis is on a young cheap contract
    4 mil difference in contracts. Not that big a deal.

vCash
    I'm reserving 'keeper' for franchise type players. Currently only Val and maybe Lowry fit that bill.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampirate View Post
    I'm reserving 'keeper' for franchise type players. Currently only Val and maybe Lowry fit that bill.
    Keeper within reason. If another team makes a ludicrous offer for Amir he'll be traded obviously. But every great team needs to have great role players. I think Amir is one of those players, he'll get there within the next couple seasons.
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by koreancabbage View Post
    I'm not a person who is willing to pay market price. Just b/c other players are getting overpaid doesn't justify the overpayment for others (does it?).

you might be right. but hey, its not my money and he's doing well. I still think we could have gotten a smaller deal for him before, though, i'm happy for him. I can imagine all the people here saying weird stuff when Amir misses a long jumper and why he took that shot etc etc etc. He is probably still considered a hustle player in my books.
    By that logic we would be fielding a team of draft picks and d leaguers every single season.

Plus you can only be overpaid in comparison to something. That comparison needs to be done against that market of the NBA that currently exists.

Unrelated to your post:

He is a keeper unless we need to send a big in a trade for a serious upgrade on the wing. Otherwise he valuable also because of his willingness to play out of position at the Centre spot. We all have witnessed how bad that can turn out with our Bargnani experience. Yes I am aware they are completely different players but the point is that he is willing to go up against guys where he gives up a lot of size.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast