Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 46
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska, United States
    Posts
    4,136
    vCash
    1500

    Packers' Whitt praises Sam Shields, sees open CB competition in 2013

    Green Bay — There will be no guarantees at cornerback for the Packers in 2013. On Tuesday, cornerbacks coach Joe Whitt Jr. made that much clear. When players report back to Green Bay, four cornerbacks may engage in an open competition.

    Whitt praised the improvement of third-year corner Sam Shields and indicated that Shields, Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward and Davon House will all have an opportunity to start next season.

    “It’s going to be interesting to see who are going to be the guys who run out there on Day One,” Whitt said, “because right now I couldn’t tell you who’s going to do what because the way that Sam and Casey have played. And with Tramon and House there, there’s four guys that are vying for two spots. Maybe three with nickel. It will be interesting to see who gets it.”

    Making things is interesting is Shields. After a strong finish this season, he may be ready to take on the opposition's top wide receiver next season. Upon returning from his high ankle sprain Dec. 9, Shields' performance "was comparable, if not better than Tramon’s in 2010," Whitt said. In 2010, Williams' string of big plays helped the Packers reach the Super Bowl.

    Of course, it was only one year ago Shields was plagued by missed tackles.

    Whitt said Shields cut his missed tackles by half this season and called him the best tackler on the team.

    “Him and (Jarrett Bush) are the most physical corners that we have, but he’s the best tackling one that we have,” Whitt said. “He put that on film. That’s not me talking. …The only reason I’m talking about it is because he took so much criticism in the way he performed last year through training camp. And to come back and play — especially the last six games — the way that he’s played, I think is very encouraging to what he can be in the future.”

    In Shields’ final six games, he had 21 tackles, 11 pass break-ups and four interceptions. He opened up Green Bay’s loss at San Francisco with a pick returned for a touchdown.

    Whitt wouldn’t say that Williams -- the team’s No. 1 cornerback since 2010 -- necessarily had a down season. The coach said he still "graded out pretty well." But Shields’ finish and Hayward’s standout rookie season has made things interesting heading into next season.

    Excelling in the slot, the second-round pick from Vanderbilt finished fifth in the NFL with six interceptions.

    "Casey probably played better than anyone, and you all, expected him to play and probably played better than I expected him to play," Whitt said. "So the competition in the room has gotten better. So that’s the case.

    “I believe in not allowing anybody to be comfortable. We don’t work in a business where we can get comfortable. And so, the guys, I always say their play will dictate who runs through the tunnel. The guys that play the best will play, that practice the best, that have the best test. We’re about winning championships and we fell short. That’s our charge.”
    http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/187050591.html

    I'm not saying it's happened in the past but Tramon shouldn't be guaranteed anything, after a bad 2011 season, he was having a pretty good 2012 season until week 17 hit. An open CB Competition is great, I could see Sam Shields and Casey Hayward as starters, Maybe Davon can make a big push as well.
    Last edited by XJW18; 01-16-2013 at 10:59 AM.

    [Packers/Lakers Lover]


    "If Rodgers were even just simply as good as Brady or Manning in the playoffs, his team would almost never win. Instead, what we've seen is a super hero act."
    -Peter Bukowski


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    hayward and williams will start
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,587
    vCash
    1500

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    3,175
    vCash
    1500
    Davon and Williams.
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscf85bcd0.png
    _____________
    " Failure is only defined by someone's perception of what failing is."-His Airness

  5. #5
    Dcup's Avatar
    Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Ankeny, Iowa
    Posts
    6,150
    vCash
    1500
    Hayward and House with Shields in the slot. Tramon is traded.
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    7,151
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcup View Post
    Hayward and House with Shields in the slot. Tramon is traded.
    Isnīt Hayward the better slot corner and Shields better outside because of his speed?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska, United States
    Posts
    4,136
    vCash
    1500
    Sam Shields > Davon House

    [Packers/Lakers Lover]


    "If Rodgers were even just simply as good as Brady or Manning in the playoffs, his team would almost never win. Instead, what we've seen is a super hero act."
    -Peter Bukowski


  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,656
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcup View Post
    Hayward and House with Shields in the slot. Tramon is traded.
    Yeah, This will never happen. Shields has to be the best fit on the outside while Hayward excelled in the slot this year. Shields straight line speed is way to valuable to put in a condensed area.

    I think people are too high on House right now for him not doing much this year and being injured for most of his first two years in the league. I'm not saying I don't think he can be good or even great but Shields has proven he can be great. You guys are going off potential over performance. I'd be so happy if House can have a run once in his career like Shields did coming back from injury.

    I'm honestly very surprised people aren't more impressed with what Shields did. I have to think it is because people remember last year. There were breakdowns everywhere in the secondary along with constant missed tackles. He came back this year and proved he could tackle and cover with the best of Cornerbacks.

    It is an open competition but I guarantee Shields will be one of the 2 starting CB's. He earned it the second half of this season. Whitt, Capers, and MM know that and will give him some breathing room unless something drastic happens in training camp which I really doubt.
    Last edited by Kevolu; 01-16-2013 at 05:15 PM.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska, United States
    Posts
    4,136
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevolu View Post
    Yeah, This will never happen. Shields has to be the best fit on the outside while Hayward excelled in the slot this year. Shields straight line speed is way to valuable to put in a condensed area.

    I think people are too high on House right now for him not doing much this year and being injured for most of his first two years in the league. I'm not saying I don't think he can be good or even great but Shields has proven he can be great. You guys are going off potential over performance. I'd be so happy if House can have a run once in his career like Shields did coming back from injury.

    I'm honestly very surprised people aren't more impressed with what Shields did. I have to think it is because people remember last year. There were breakdowns everywhere in the secondary along with constant missed tackles. He came back this year and proved he could tackle and cover with the best of Cornerbacks.

    It is an open competition but I guarantee Shields will be one of the 2 starting CB's. He earned it the second half of this season. Whitt, Capers, and MM know that and will give him some breathing room unless something drastic happens in training camp which I really doubt.
    I agree completely, House hasn't shown me anything, he had a good camp and he made some plays in pre-season, He's constantly injured and I remember during the season he actually started and got killed it might have been against Minnesota idk which game. He might not have been 100% either.

    [Packers/Lakers Lover]


    "If Rodgers were even just simply as good as Brady or Manning in the playoffs, his team would almost never win. Instead, what we've seen is a super hero act."
    -Peter Bukowski


  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    25,951
    vCash
    1500
    I'm definitely not ready to give up on Tramon, at all.

    The talent on this team is thin as it is...so why does everyone want to get rid of the vets that have shown something consistently over the past few years?

    We wouldn't get nearly enough for Tramon to make it worth it.

    Our QB > Yours

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,656
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by iam brett favre View Post
    I'm definitely not ready to give up on Tramon, at all.

    The talent on this team is thin as it is...so why does everyone want to get rid of the vets that have shown something consistently over the past few years?

    We wouldn't get nearly enough for Tramon to make it worth it.
    I'd rather start a guy with less talent but wants to try over a guy with all the talent in the world but isn't willing to stick his head in there and make a tackle. I can go back and find at least 5 different runs over the last 6 games where Williams didn't get off a block and make a tackle. If below average blocking WR's can block Williams like that he simply isn't trying. I didn't see that happen once to Shields. Shields proved to be the better CB the second half of the season. Simple as that.

    The thing people are forgetting is the Packers need to sign Shields to a new contract this offseason. His price went up a lot but should still be manageable.

    The talent on this team is thin? lol. Packers are considered to have one of the deepest group of CB's in the NFL. If Williams doesn't want to earn his contract trade him and draft a CB to develop with that pick.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    3,656
    vCash
    500
    I was a huge supporter of Williams even heading into the second half of the season. He was outclassed by Shields by such a wide margin I couldn't believe it. Then those last few games were absolutely disgusting and not Packer football. I swear a few times it looked like he purposely got out of the the offensive players way because he was afraid to make contact. One time he turned the opposite way and engaged in a block for no FN reason. If that is the Williams we will be getting from now on it would be best to trade him and get what you can get for him.

    Sig this or w.e you want but next year Shields will be the Packers number 1 CB.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    25,951
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevolu View Post
    I'd rather start a guy with less talent but wants to try over a guy with all the talent in the world but isn't willing to stick his head in there and make a tackle. I can go back and find at least 5 different runs over the last 6 games where Williams didn't get off a block and make a tackle. If below average blocking WR's can block Williams like that he simply isn't trying. I didn't see that happen once to Shields. Shields proved to be the better CB the second half of the season. Simple as that.

    The thing people are forgetting is the Packers need to sign Shields to a new contract this offseason. His price went up a lot but should still be manageable.

    The talent on this team is thin? lol. Packers are considered to have one of the deepest group of CB's in the NFL. If Williams doesn't want to earn his contract trade him and draft a CB to develop with that pick.
    Yeah you really are right about the tackles. He pissed me off so much.
    But when I said talent was thin, I meant overall...people want Woodson, Hawk, Williams, Pickett gone. That would really gut this D, granted we would still have a lot of really good young guys. But it would take away a lot of the veteran experience.

    Our QB > Yours

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    25,951
    vCash
    1500
    Don't get me wrong...I'm all for having Shields and Hayward start. I still want Williams on this team though.

    Our QB > Yours

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Omaha, Nebraska, United States
    Posts
    4,136
    vCash
    1500
    I still think Tramon will be a starter next season.

    [Packers/Lakers Lover]


    "If Rodgers were even just simply as good as Brady or Manning in the playoffs, his team would almost never win. Instead, what we've seen is a super hero act."
    -Peter Bukowski


Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •