Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Maybe the Jets' Cap Situation Isn't Hopeless

The Wall Street Journal

NY JETS
    January 15, 2013, 7:41 p.m. ET

Maybe the Jets' Cap Situation Isn't Hopeless
    By MICHAEL SALFINO

Before the Jets' new head of football operations tries to rebuild this 6-10 team, he must first dig it out of a roughly $25 million salary-cap hole. That helps explain why the Jets' top football job remains unfilled more than two weeks after the firing of general manager Mike Tannenbaum.

But a closer examination of the Jets' 2013 obligations reveals that an act of Congress won't be needed to rescue this team. At least that much cap room can be found by simply cutting some disappointing, highly paid veterans.

According to NYJetsCap.com, the Jets will be about $21 million over the estimated 2013 salary cap when the new league season begins in March. Additionally, the team needs to clear about $4 million more to sign its 2013 draft class.

The biggest savings, $12 million, can be had by cutting tackle Jason Smith, a backup whom ProFootballFocus.com ranked just 35th at his position based on his performance on every snap. Linebacker Calvin Pace ranked 69th of 72 linebackers and saves the Jets another $8.6 million if cut.

Fellow starting linebacker Bart Scott graded much better (23rd of 112), but returns the Jets another $7.2 million if released. Defensive tackle Sione Pouha, safety Eric Smith and quarterback Tim Tebow all graded poorly, too, and can be let go for a combined salary cap windfall of about $7.4 million. That adds up to $35.2 million—$10.2 million more than needed even before renegotiating other contracts for additional savings.

Due to arcane NFL salary-cap accounting, other players actually result in a cap charge if cut. For example, jettisoning quarterback Mark Sanchez in 2013 would force the team to first find another $4.3 million cap room.
    —Michael Salfino
    This Can Work

Here are the dispensable players whom the Jets can save the most 2013 salary-cap room by cutting, along with their 2012 ranking at their position.
    Code:
    player	position	cap value	cap savings if cut	 2012 positional rank
    Jason Smith T	$12M	 $12M	 35th of 122

Calvin Pace  LB	$11.57M	 $8.56M	 69th of 72

Bart Scott  LB	$8.65M	 $7.15M	 23rd of 112

Sione Pouha  DT	 $6.17M	 $3.83M	 51st of 85

Eric Smith  S	 $3M	 $3M	 125th of 170

Tim Tebow  QB	 $2.59M	 $1.53M	 34th of 71

Santonio Holmes  WR	 $12.5M	 $1.25M	 100th of 206

Antonio Cromartie  CB	 $10.75M	 $1.25M	 15th of 217
    Sources: NYJetsCap.com, ProFootballFocus.com
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...testheadlines#

This is what I have been saying for a while now.

Trade Cro for a 2nd or a 3rd.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    I don't think the cap situation is that horrible either, if the Jets roster was solid top to bottom. I remember reading that they Jets have like 7 or 8 guys that will equate to around 80 million worth of cap space and that the rest of the roster will have to be fit in for about 45 or 46 million. That is where the Jets are hurting. You are going to be depending on, whether we want to admit it or not, the likes of Vladimir Ducasse, Josh Bush, Antonio Allen, just to name a couple to fill bigger roles than I think they should.
    PSD's Sheldon Richardson!!!

vCash
    I think most of us understand this, but it also doesn't free us to be a big impact player without a team taking a bid contract as part of a package for someone they want.

Also, I don't know about trading Cro. I doubt someone would take on someone like Holmes for him, so all we would be doing by trading him is freeing enough room to fill our roster with a couple of guys at slightly more money then we could now. Unless you think we won't be drafting with our full allotment of picks.

I have said it before and I will saying again. I don't want to trade Revis, but if someone will give up an early pick and take Holmes for their top receiver, and maybe more then I can see it being worth it and making actual cap room.

vCash
    I would keep Cro until we see how Revis comes back for sure. No reason to think he wont be fine but you never know, there are just as many if not more who have gotten worse after ACL as there are AP's and Welkers.

Santonio is interesting though. He is unquestionably our best offensive weapon and on a team with zero weapons that is worth something. He has however proven to be a pain in the *** IMO which on a team not going anywhere at the moment, in large part to our QB situation, makes the possibility of dealing him interesting. That is not a huge savings and we are unlikely to get anyone even close to his level for 1.25M, but if we can get a decent pick say a 3rd I would have to give it some serious thought, if his savings and draft pick are indeed used to help upgrade the offense with young talent.

vCash
    You can take Mangold's roster bonus and convert it into a signing bonus that can be spread out over the next 3 years.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    I would cut every single on of those guys except for Cro. I would look into trading either him or Revis for picks. And yeah Holmes is our best offensive player but he's till not that good and not worth what he's being paid. Plus he's a selfish diva. Peace out brudda!

Follow me on Twitter @TheGaudAlmighty

vCash
    Also, for whatever it is worth which is not much, I think a lot of the "options" we have are kind of how Tanny got the "cap genius" moniker. He always seems to leave outs in many deals and does a lot of re-structuring. I am sure it is all more complicated than it seems to us but that is what it seems. Still an awful talent evaluator for the most part though.

vCash
    I'm starting to think these writers get all there material from PSD!

#Hernandezing

Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    haha delusional
    Someone underestimated the jets!

vCash

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by scopepts View Post
    I'm starting to think these writers get all there material from PSD!
    lmao!!! its true because they are all as clueless as us right now!!

PSD"S JETS FORUM SURVIVOR LEAGUE CHAMPION 2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jetsguy View Post
    Also, for whatever it is worth which is not much, I think a lot of the "options" we have are kind of how Tanny got the "cap genius" moniker. He always seems to leave outs in many deals and does a lot of re-structuring. I am sure it is all more complicated than it seems to us but that is what it seems. Still an awful talent evaluator for the most part though.
    Yeah, I think you nailed it with this. If he was a better talent evaluator and we had a little more bottom end talent we would be in great shape. He knows what he is doing with the cap. Its just that he couldn't evaluate Mark (although if he had a great season that move would have been looked at as great) or Santonio at their proper levels. Some may say Harris too. Other then that he isn't too far off. Its why I agree that he had to go just to get that purge but I wouldn't have minded if he did stay on in a reduced role. Its not as if he would hav emade personnel choices.
    Last edited by aNYer; 01-16-2013 at 01:16 PM.

vCash
    It isn't, but the parrots started squawking that it was and "Jets in cap hell" became the truth.

vCash
    ^Of course they would, its ok they soon will need a QB. Hope they have trouble finding one!

#Hernandezing

Quote Originally Posted by bwallstreet View Post
    haha delusional
    Someone underestimated the jets!