Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I know the stats suggest one thing but a run game is important...it keeps the defense honest by making the defense easily readeable by the QB...it helps put away the other team after a big league and keeps the D fresh in close games...its debateable on wheather the run sets up the pass because its stricly based on the stye of offense a team runs.. for example a prostyle offense absolutely has to have a run element becuas eof the alignment and personnel but a spread style only needs a run element as a change of pass due to the widening of the field of play..... the run game however is essential in the NFL
    Die hard Atlanta Braves, Dallas Cowboys and New York Knicks fan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thedon01 View Post
    Well you know we're going to disagree my friend, but to begin i'd like to know why you favor Jones as the GM more specifically because going along with your reasons, as in a general sense, Jerry has made some very critical mistakes in his "drafting and signing" resume.

Drafting
    Example #1 - 2008 NFL draft when he drafted Felix Jones because he missed out on McFadden. Not a terrible move, yet he passed on Chris Johnson, Matt Forte, Ray Rice, Mendenhall, and Jamaal Charles and those are just Running Backs.

Example #2 - didn't have a 2000 1st round draft pick that Seattle used to get Alexander.

Example #3 - Even during the years of Parcells there are many questions about draft choices that happened under Jerry's tenure.

Example #4 - in the 2007 draft one could argue had Dallas traded up 1 single spot in the first round they could have taken Jon Beason instead of Anthony Spencer. Or they could have reached for Eric Weddle, Ben Grubbs, Woodley, Rice, but they didn't have a 2nd and 5th round draft pick to trade.

I know I'm only cherry picking certain negatives, but my debate is against Jerry's GM abilities. However, i could go on for days with negatives in the drafting department of Jerry Jones and I'm not the only critic. There's plenty more on this website, other sites, and professional analysts.

My point is that in terms of drafting there's plenty of question marks in Jerry's choices. From players he chooses to how and why he chooses them without forgetting that he doesn't put himself and his team in the proper position to draft correctly. He goes after Jones the back up of Mcfadden because he couldn't get mcfadden. Ironically he loved them both, could it be because they played for his alma mater? That sort of thinking allowed him to miss out on better backs. That's only one small example of poor judgment. Ask yourself this, how can so many other teams make wise drafts year in an year out and Jones can't? The Ravens, Patriots, Steelers are just a few who get at least 60% of their draft to elevate their team. One thing to remember is those 3 teams over the last decade have drafted relatively late in the draft while Dallas has drafted either high or middle of the road. Just draft positioning along should give Jerry a better edge.

Free Agents

1. We kept Spencer at his tag value where we could have used his money + the contract of Berny and or Livings to yield Grubbs or Nicks. We could have promoted Butler or made a play for Jarrett Johnson. Ironically we probably won't keep spencer in free agency so what was the point of wasting that salary if we weren't planning on keeping him long term? We wasted an opportunity to invest that money into a player like Grubbs or Nicks who would have been here long term.

2. I could find more examples where question marks float around on the reasons why, but do i really need to?

3. you and i agree on the character of the players, yet Jones has had his fair share of signing character flawed players. How can you favor Jones when his past shows he favors exactly the opposite kind of player you favor?

Bottom line is a GM and or owner is evaluated on their success, I know you understand this. Now each person had a different definition for "success", but in the world of sports it's clearly defined by post season success either in appearances, wins, or both. Any other GM would have been fired and plenty have. Jerry has clearly fallen short and you've shown this, hence why i want to know more detail on your reasoning because i could be overlooking something due to my dislike of Jones.

IMO there's 3 areas people believe Jones controls.

1. Owner
    2. GM
    3. Coach

1A: - Owner [He's done a fantastic job at raising the value and profitability of the Cowboys]

1B: - GM [He's done a very poor job at creating a championship contender, the proof is in the record]

1C: - Coach [He's done a poor job of clouding the player's perspective of who's in charge and overstepping into the realm of on the field management]

*You did allude to Jerry being a good GM, but said he does overstep when it comes to coaching duties. Well doing this means you're not doing a good job as a GM. It's the GM/Owner who's the one that oversteps. Case in point - Wanting Garrett to give up play calling and taking it upon himself to hire Kiffin as the DC on Garrett's staff.

You don't hire a coach and then hire his staff for him. If you're doing this you've lost faith in the coach. Why are you going to hold onto a coach you don't have faith in when there's other candidate with proven success rates like Cowher, Gruden, Holmgren, and Lovie who would probably be interested if given more control. Again another idiotic move by our gracious GM.
    lol.. again, i freely admit, you have already won this debate.. this is just my opinion.

i believe, hindsght is always 20/20. yes. we have missed on some draft picks, chris johnson, charles, etc. HOWEVER, how many other teams passed on them? the steelers will be releasing mendenhall. think they would have rather picked up charles now?

and with us, we have miles austin. he was undrafted.... how many teams, that year we got miles, drafted a WR high, and would rather now have had austin? or taken a qb that completely tanked, and would rather have romo? i mean, i know you dont like him alot, but i know there were qbs drafted that year that arent even playing right now... we found ratliff in the 7 th round.. canty, barber, choice, scandrick, murray, crayton, hatcher, carter, i mean, we have found some value in the later rounds...
    lee was a 2nd round pick, i bet there were some linebackers drafted ahead of lee that if they other teams could go back, would switch that pick..

at the time we took felix, with what we had, and the character concerns i remember being raised on mendenhall, i think jerry did that right thing.. remember, we already had barber, and was signed to a pretty decent deal, and was coming off a great year.

i think the trade of galloway was pretty bad, but, again, what was the circumstances? we lost irvin, aikman, emmitt were getting up there, we needed a go to reciever desperatly... and if not for his injury, who knows what could have happened...

i think speculating that if we didnt get livings and bern. then we could have had nicks is somewhat flawed... again, total salary yes, but what was the garunteed portion? and im speculating on this, but maybe are scouts, or something saw someting in nicks that made them not want to invest that type of money in him...

IDK...

but, i do know, last year, ( well, 2 years, not current season) our biggest weakness was secondary.. so what does our owner do? go out and get the best free agent cb available, and the best college cb out there. love it.

now our line is the biggest weakness... im excited to see what he does now.

( we had lots of young players on our line to... perhaps injuries slowed the progress? idk)

like i said though, im pretty optimistic guy... and I dont disagree that you clearly have more facts and history on your side at this point....

im just stubborn in my opinion.

but dammit, if we win the superbowl next year, then ill be the winner lol...
    Last edited by rawz; 01-15-2013 at 11:22 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rawz View Post
    yeah, nobody will be better then lee....

i dont care who we signed.

im not real familier with the tampa 2.. only thing i really want is our corners to be in press, man coverage.

you dont spend a high 1st round pick on a corner to sit in zone..

but, im all for putting lee in the middle then.. just want to maximize talent.
    You should check out this link Zookman put up earlier, http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...kiffin-tampa-2

It has a pretty good explanation of everyone's roles in the Tampa 2 style and how the current Cowboys would adapt to it. The writer does make a pretty good point of having Carter in the middle since he is faster and more athletic than Lee is. Also, since Lee is a exponentially better tackler, having him on the outside would be ideal.
    Dallas Mavericks 2010-11 NBA CHAMPIONS
    Dirk Nowitzki 2010-2011 Finals MVP

Texas Rangers 2010, 2011 AL West & AL Champions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MCSJR2 View Post
    i'm actually beginnig to think that winning is not his first goal anymore
    From the results and constant way of doing things this is a very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by MCSJR2 View Post
    I know the stats suggest one thing but a run game is important...it keeps the defense honest by making the defense easily readeable by the QB
    Couldn't agree more. I prefer a well rounded offense rather than one sided.

Quote Originally Posted by rawz View Post
    lol.. again, i freely admit, you have already won this debate.. this is just my opinion.

i believe, hindsght is always 20/20. yes. we have missed on some draft picks, chris johnson, charles, etc. HOWEVER, how many other teams passed on them? the steelers will be releasing mendenhall. think they would have rather picked up charles now?

The steelers hardly ever have a problem infusing a running game. They're built upon the smash mouth and besides the Steelers are nearly always somehow involved in the post season. Missing on Charles and or Johnson didn't stop them from winning in 2009. Us on the other hand, don't have the luxury of missing on star players like this.

and with us, we have miles austin. he was undrafted.... how many teams, that year we got miles, drafted a WR high, and would rather now have had austin? or taken a qb that completely tanked, and would rather have romo? i mean, i know you dont like him alot, but i know there were qbs drafted that year that arent even playing right now... we found ratliff in the 7 th round.. canty, barber, choice, scandrick, murray, crayton, hatcher, carter, i mean, we have found some value in the later rounds...
    lee was a 2nd round pick, i bet there were some linebackers drafted ahead of lee that if they other teams could go back, would switch that pick..

1. Yes we have Austin, but rumors are floating that he's going to be released and or traded. Of all the "undrafted" players Jerry prides himself on finding, how many have actually helped propel this team into a solid contender? there's usually a reason why players are undrafted.

2. Of the names you listed, 3 are gone, one's probably getting the pink slip, another can't stay healthy and he's a running back, remind you he had leg injuries in college, another CB who under performs, but get's paid like a starter, etc etc. None of those names have remotely helped make this team a post season contender so how can we say they were solid draft choices.

3. No one is arguing that Romo wasn't one of the best if not the best QB in that class, but to put your faith on an undrafted QB being the franchise QB you're looking for, hence passing on any future talent, and or preparing accordingly for an aging and concussed Aikman is unwise.

at the time we took felix, with what we had, and the character concerns i remember being raised on mendenhall, i think jerry did that right thing.. remember, we already had barber, and was signed to a pretty decent deal, and was coming off a great year.

1. We took felix because Jerry was in love with McFadden, mainly because of the school he attended. So Jerry focused all his attention on the star from the razorbacks and thought he could snag the 2nd string and get equal production. With that dumb mindset we missed the opportunity or reason to draft Charles, Rice, Johnson, or Forte. After taking Felix with the 22nd pick we had no need to take the others. Remind you Mendenhall and Johnson went back to back after Felix. Going with Miles Austin undrafted in 06 gave us no reason to take a stab at Deshaun Jackson in 2008. Remind you we even took Martellus Bennet ahead of Charles.

2. Our problem is Jerry does not have the eye to scout players.

3. I'll give you mendenhall, but can't accept the loss on the others. Granted hindsight is the key, but Rice and Forte and Charles (even though he had injury concerns) were all scouted better. Point is Jerry's pride had him focusing on Arkansas and not the draft.

i think the trade of galloway was pretty bad, but, again, what was the circumstances? we lost irvin, aikman, emmitt were getting up there, we needed a go to reciever desperatly... and if not for his injury, who knows what could have happened...

1. Waiting for desperation is my point. Planning ahead like many of the successful teams is one of the reasons why they remain successful. Just ask yourself how teams like the Steelers, Patriots, and Ravens stay competitive? They constantly draft late and still remain a post season threat. Is it because they have the proper coaching staff and front office who know how to judge talent and coach that talent into success or is because they get lucky?

i think speculating that if we didnt get livings and bern. then we could have had nicks is somewhat flawed... again, total salary yes, but what was the garunteed portion? and im speculating on this, but maybe are scouts, or something saw someting in nicks that made them not want to invest that type of money in him...

1. Nicks is and was considered one of if not the best guard, he was a 2 time pro bowler, hadn't missed a game since entering the nfl, and was only 26 years old. A 7yr contract would have netted the majority of his contract in his prime years. When you hand out 7 year contracts there's no better opportunity then to hand it a player where you're going to net that many prime years.

2. I can remember articles and rumors that he wanted to play in dallas, not to mention we had glaring holes to fill at the guard positions. We had Nicks and Grubbs in free agency. Both are top 10 guards and we passed on both to get scraps like Livings (another undrafted player) and Berny (a 7th round pick). Do you see the trend here? It's one thing to have a coach who knows how to evaluate talent and find gems, but it's a whole other story when you have a coach/gm/owner who's got something to prove. That "i have to prove to the world" mentality pushes him to be careless.

3. We had the money

IDK...

but, i do know, last year, ( well, 2 years, not current season) our biggest weakness was secondary.. so what does our owner do? go out and get the best free agent cb available, and the best college cb out there. love it.

1. I gave credit before and i'll do it again. He did improve the corner back positions, but paid heavily for it. I understand the market dictated the price, but he did accomplish this. My only concern is the money spent on Carr.

now our line is the biggest weakness... im excited to see what he does now.

1. Didn't he just address the offensive line this past off season with an undrafted player who netted a 5 year contract and a 7th rounder who netted a 4 year contract?

2. If he's going to address anything it's going to be the center position and or RT

( we had lots of young players on our line to... perhaps injuries slowed the progress? idk)

like i said though, im pretty optimistic guy... and I dont disagree that you clearly have more facts and history on your side at this point....

im just stubborn in my opinion.

but dammit, if we win the superbowl next year, then ill be the winner lol...
    I admire your optimism and at one point i had it too, but i've seen enough mistakes to come to the conclusion that this team is always going to under perform until Jerry is no longer the guy running the helm.

"
    No Idea Why Ines Sainz Was Her assed"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDFan85 View Post
    You should check out this link Zookman put up earlier, http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...kiffin-tampa-2

It has a pretty good explanation of everyone's roles in the Tampa 2 style and how the current Cowboys would adapt to it. The writer does make a pretty good point of having Carter in the middle since he is faster and more athletic than Lee is. Also, since Lee is a exponentially better tackler, having him on the outside would be ideal.
    awesome!! unfortunatlly the link didnt work

vCash
    being a good tackler doesn't mean lee can drop back into coverage.

"

vCash
    being a good tackler doesn't mean lee can drop back into coverage.
    lee appears to me to be able to.. he has had a couple interceptions, and the games he starts, he always seems to make a play. causing a fumble, recovering a fumble, making a pick, etc.

the man is a straight baller...

and up until his injury, IMO, was clearly the best player on our defense.

vCash
    there's no doubting lee's ability, but the tampa 2 defense is not an easy thing to pull off. IMO i believe the hiring of Kiffin is a mistake.

This isn't the Monte Kiffin of old, it's just an old Kiffin.

"

vCash
    there's no doubting lee's ability, but the tampa 2 defense is not an easy thing to pull off. IMO i believe the hiring of Kiffin is a mistake.

This isn't the Monte Kiffin of old, it's just an old Kiffin.
    Part 1: http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...-wasnt-working

Part 2: http://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2013/...i-monte-kiffin

vCash
    And what is up with these new layout?? I like the old version
    Last edited by Romo2TheOscars; 01-15-2013 at 09:52 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Romo2Austin View Post
    And what is up with these new layout?? I like the old version
    I am glad its not only me

vCash
    OMFG!!! RAWZ IF I SEE YOU POST THE WORD "HAS" FOR THE WORD "AS" ONE MORE TIME IM GOING TO RIP MY EYES OUT AND BASH THEM INTO THE KEYBOARD!!!!!!! lol I'm sorry but I'm ocd about that kinda stuff. No disrespect but pleeeeease for the love of my eyes and sanity STOP! lol. AS much AS it probably seems like I'm being an a hole I promise I'm not. AS long AS he HAS been in here I can't believe I'm the first to say sometng. Cause I know I've read the mistake at LEAST over thousand times. It's to the point where is soon as I see your name posting I automatically look for it. Lol. Sorry
    Last edited by ElCuloLoco; 01-15-2013 at 11:46 PM.

vCash

i read both articles and found nothing that pertained to what i said.

"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ElCuloLoco View Post
    OMFG!!! RAWZ IF I SEE YOU POST THE WORD "HAS" FOR THE WORD "AS" ONE MORE TIME IM GOING TO RIP MY EYES OUT AND BASH THEM INTO THE KEYBOARD!!!!!!! lol I'm sorry but I'm ocd about that kinda stuff. No disrespect but pleeeeease for the love of my eyes and sanity STOP! lol. AS much AS it probably seems like I'm being an a hole I promise I'm not. AS long AS he HAS been in here I can't believe I'm the first to say sometng. Cause I know I've read the mistake at LEAST over thousand times. It's to the point where is soon as I see your name posting I automatically look for it. Lol. Sorry
    loco, it brings humor to fred to see you taking a shot at someone about spelling and the have spelling issues in your own post...irony is a terrific thing...not to mention, for a guy with 102 posts, you have read this mistake >1,000X? interesting

anyway, if you have a message to send to a particular poster, please PM them....thanx.

vCash

Coaching (change) Thread

I keep seeing numerous posts and thoughts regarding potential hirings, etc in the coaching staff

this will be a place where we can discuss coaching changes and updates.

Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast