Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Middle Eastern man shot in the face with pellet gun for dating white woman

LUTZ, Florida - UPDATE: Surveillance video released in possible hate crime shooting

It is a shocking crime in a highly-populated place: Walmart.

A man and his girlfriend were shot at 20 times with an Airsoft BB pistol as they were entering the Walmart Super Center at 1575 Land O'Lakes Boulevard in Lutz around 3 a.m.

But what's possibly more shocking -- and even more sinister --is the motive behind the crime.

The Pasco County Sheriff's Office is investigating this case heavily, because it's considered a hate crime. The young couple in their twenties was targeted because the man was of Middle Eastern descent and was dating a white woman, according to documents.

READ: The Pasco Sheriff's Incident Report (PDF)

The shooter saw the couple and was "relentless," said Pasco Sheriff's Office spokesperson Doug Tobin.

The shooter, also believed to be in his twenties, spotted the man and his girlfriend and began screaming at them, taunting them, and yelled out racial slurs, detectives say. He asked the young man if he was Middle Eastern and if he was a Muslim.

Then the suspect pulled out the pellet gun and opened fire, calling the man a "n----- with a white girl."

Twenty tiny rounds were fired from the BB pistol. Two hit the young man.

"This will not be tolerated in Pasco County," said Sheriff Chris Nocco on Wednesday morning. "We are putting all of our resources into solving this."

The couple, who is not being identified for safety reasons, was reportedly shaken by the traumatic event. The young man is currently recovering after being struck in the face.

The Muslim civil rights group CAIR, the Council on American-Islamic Relations, is calling for the feds to get involved.

"We urge the FBI to investigate this case because it seems to fit a disturbing pattern of recent incidents targeting Muslims in Florida and nationwide," said CAIR-Tampa executive director Hassan Shibly in a statement.

The hate crime was caught on camera at Walmart, but the video has not yet been released. The shooter is being described as a young man in his twenties with short blonde hair, no visible tattoos, last seen wearing a brown jacket, blue jeans, and green sandals. He was tracked by K-9s, but got away after he took off running.

Frequent Walmart shoppers were stunned by the news. "There are still idiots out there [in 2013] who do this sort of thing," said Cathy Breitenbach. "It's sad really."

Karen Garcia told 10 News, "I'm so surprised. This is a great town to live in and raise kids. I shop here every single Monday. I may bring my husband with me now."

Sheriff's spokesperson Doug Tobin added, "We are taking this very seriously and are hoping that someone who may have seen this will come forward and help us. This couple was just minding their own business."

If you know who did this or have heard anyone talking about this case, please call the Pasco Sheriff's Office at 1-800-706-2488.
    http://www.wtsp.com/news/local/artic...ble-hate-crime

vCash
    Halal>Pot Roast
    I Heart Kimmi Smiles

Support Her!

vCash
    Halal is a dietary law.

vCash
    In Florida? Can't say I'm surprised.

vCash
    Ban BB guns.

vCash
    seems reasonable
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    If he had a bb gun this wouldn't have happened. Honestly this whole thing seems like a government conspiracy if you ask me.

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders.
    Fok Jelle Naiers

They`re = contraction of they are
    There = used to describe location
    Their = pronoun used to describe belonging
    Should've = contraction of should have
    Should of = makes no sense at all

vCash
    The south strikes again.

The Knicks are back!

vCash
    I bet he thinks twice next time before walking into a walmart in the south at 3AM

Fok Jelle Naiers

vCash
    of course its in florida.

vCash
    haha everyone is saying how "southern" florida is, but its really not that bad. Of course, there are the redneck/racist areas, but majority of where ive lived in FL (central fl) hasnt been very "southern" as you guys describe. go up to the states right above us tho, its a whole diff story.

vCash
    He was probably high on bath salts.

vCash
    I would've just went into Wal-Mart and bought a BB Gun, and made it Dre Day!

vCash
    I wonder if the Miami Heat are going to take a team picture to show solidarity with this fellow Floridian of there's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicHero3 View Post
    haha everyone is saying how "southern" florida is, but its really not that bad. Of course, there are the redneck/racist areas, but majority of where ive lived in FL (central fl) hasnt been very "southern" as you guys describe. go up to the states right above us tho, its a whole diff story.

I'm guessing this particular incident occurred closer to Florabama than Miami.

Fok Jelle Naiers

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast